Valve cover bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bolts should be bare metal or ford blue. I read the valve covers were painted off the engine therefore the bolts would have been unpainted.

I have an original and the engine was painted with the valve covers on. Bolts were painted and the gasket was painted. Original oil Filter was painted. They put very little paint on also and runs in some other places.

As far as I know they did start all the engines before going into the vehicle assembly plant. It was part of the testing at the engine plant, Windsor or Cleveland. They would for sure want to ship the engines closed up with covers to keep the dirt out.

The bell housings were not on the engine when painted and they are black I believe or maybe just raw.

David

I have an original and the engine was painted with the valve covers on. Bolts were painted and the gasket was painted. Original oil Filter was painted. They put very little paint on also and runs in some other places.

As far as I know they did start all the engines before going into the vehicle assembly plant. It was part of the testing at the engine plant, Windsor or Cleveland. They would for sure want to ship the engines closed up with covers to keep the dirt out.

The bell housings were not on the engine when painted and they are black I believe or maybe just raw.

David
Thanks David I thought they might have been blue or black.

John J

Prior posters are correct that the engine was painted after assembly.  Some water pump bolts were not on the engine when painted as they would be installed with the front accessories in final assembly.  My understanding to David's point of the engines being run is that it would be a cold test to check pressures and leaks.  Here is my engine painted.  MCA judging allows for some overspray on the bellhousing.  I choose the bare aluminum finish with no overspray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back