Engine Bay Sticker Placement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I have placed 3 stickers based on pictures from other members engines. I need help placing the other stickers. One of the stickers(#2)is silver and will not scan in detail. This sticker states what you should do once a month,every 6000 miles and anti freeze instructions.

Would appreciate seeing pictures of where the stickers should be

71 correct.  Keep in mind you may not use all of the stickers in these kits.  Need to see if you can provide a better image or link to the kit website.

Last edited by a moderator:
71 correct.  Keep in mind you may not use all of the stickers in these kits.  Need to see if you can provide a better image or link to the kit website.
If my memory is correct the stickers came from Don at Ohio Mustang. Its been a long time since i purchased them.

The Front decal should not be used, the caution fan decal should not be used unless you want it to appear to have been serviced as part of the fan recall program in the middle 70s. #1 goes on rear license plate bracket flat surface, #3 goes on just forward of the solenoid on the right inner fender apron, #4 goes on the horizontal, top, flat surface of the core support just offset from from center towards the drivers side, as read from the front of the car, #5 goes on the regulator cover "Autolite oriented vertically, Autolite to the front, #6  goes on the coil towards the bottom (flat part), I don't believe #7 belongs on the car, I could be wrong. Chuck

I cant help with which ones are right for a 71, mine is a 73. I made most of my own stickers. The off-the-shelf inspection stickers are too large and have rounded corners, which are not correct...

That one is easy ....goes on the radiator support just to the left of the hood hinge support.

Mark

P.S. As said about, many don't get used .....or are just wrong (unless you have an Oct built car)

Here is a pic of some of the stickers that were on my 71 Mach when I bought it in CA in 08. These are without doubt originals with the exception of the letter stickers on the firewall. They are however replacements for the ones that were there, but were faded, damaged.

The sticker in the post of my under hood detailing that someone linked earlier in this thread, show the new stickers in the same position as the originals. As far as I can find out, the letter stickers could have been placed pretty much wherever depending on the line worker installing them on the firewall, hence T,F,B...…….. if you don't like it, Too F'n Bad!! The K613 J denotes 351C 4V manual trans. This sticker is not available, so I had it made using one for the Boss 351 as a guide. It does need to be on heat resistant material.

Hope you get what you need from all this.

Geoff.

Another source for information on 1971 mustang engine detailing is the 429 registry site... http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/engine_compartment_detailing.htm

Here is some of the text from the link above. They have plenty of pictures of the sticker placement as well.

Service Spec Decal

There were two different Service Spec Decals used on 71 Mustangs depending on when the car was built. The 1971 Mustangs built in the Fall of 1970 used the 1970 Service Spec sticker (as shown above). The 70 sticker was placed on the passenger side shock tower unless the car had a rev limiter - then it was placed above windshield washer tank. Sometime between* the  last few days of September and the 3rd week of October. 1970, the Service Spec sticker was changed to the 1971 version (shown in next section below) and placed on the radiator support.  

*Group member Mitch Lewis was able to help us narrow down the changeover time with his September 30th built vehicle (lower left) and his October  20th 1970  built vehicle (lower right) showing the change occurred in this timeframe.

'71 Service Spec Decal and correct location on the radiator support. Note how the hood latch support bracket goes on top of the decal on an original car.

Build Sheet Tape Mark

In the two photos of original cars above you can see the remnants of a piece of masking tape at the center of the top of the radiator support. On original cars, the tape is usually still left there or the paint was removed when it was peeled off. It is believed that this piece of tape was used to affix one of the build sheets as the car went down the assembly line.

Inspection Decals

Four Inspection Decals were used in the 71 Mustang engine compartment  - P, B, T and F. It is likely that the P stood for Paint, the B for Body, the T for Trim and the F for Final as these are the names of the major areas in an auto assembly plant. The T and B letter decals are red while the P and F are black. The following is our recommended placement* for these decals;

B and T Location

B and T went the right of the wiper motor

F Location

F decal went to the left of wiper motor

P Location

P decal was placed in the top horn and the upper shock mount area.

* Note that it is certainly possible that these decals were placed in other locations in the engine compartment as well (different assembly plants (Dearborn/Metuchen), different assembly line workers, etc.). However, we are presenting the locations we have observed most often for them on multiple original and correctly restored MCA concours gold 71 Mustangs.

Make Your Own Inspection Decals

Inspection Decal Template

Most of the reproduction Inspection Decals sold at Mustang supply-houses are incorrect for the 71 Mustang (wrong size, font, color, rounded instead of square edges), so we have made the template below to be as close as possible to the originals based on careful examination of original '71 Mustang decals. To make your own decals;

1) Click on the template below, which will open a Microsoft Word file which you then save to your computer.

2) From Microsoft Word, open file InspectionTemplate2.doc. It is already sized to print out each letter to the correct 14 mm height. Load your printer with white sheet adhesive label paper (example - Avery #6573) and print out.

3) Trim each of your 4 Inspection Decals to be 20 mm by 20 mm as shown in the diagram below. You may wish to cover them first with clear plastic adhesive tape (I used shipping tape because it's wide enough) to provide a water proof seal. Once done, add them to your engine compartment as shown above!

Some info on my 73 original one owner Mach 1. I never had the P,B,T,F stickers under the hood. I am pretty sure the tie down sticker is still there will have to take the tag off and look. The Fan sticker on the shroud was always there I never took my car in for the fan recall so it still has one of the killer fan blades.

My car never had the Battery OK sticker either.

There is another sticker that I have not seen mentioned. It is on the dryer tank for air conditioned cars.

There are the paint inspection stamps all over the car WW was inspectors initials I believe. Have two cars with same stamp.

One theory I had on the square PBTF stickers is that they were placed on audit units only. Most of the time only a few vehicles are checked from top to bottom in the quality audit area. There is not enough time to check every vehicle 100%. Inspection has never made a quality product building it right does.

A few pictures of what I have on computer.

David

Here is a pic of some of the stickers that were on my 71 Mach when I bought it in CA in 08. These are without doubt originals with the exception of the letter stickers on the firewall. They are however replacements for the ones that were there, but were faded, damaged.

The sticker in the post of my under hood detailing that someone linked earlier in this thread, show the new stickers in the same position as the originals. As far as I can find out, the letter stickers could have been placed pretty much wherever depending on the line worker installing them on the firewall, hence T,F,B...…….. if you don't like it, Too F'n Bad!! The K613 J denotes 351C 4V manual trans. This sticker is not available, so I had it made using one for the Boss 351 as a guide. It does need to be on heat resistant material.

Hope you get what you need from all this.

Geoff.
Whats the "K613J" sticker?

That denotes M code 351C 4V, 4 speed manual trans for a 1971 (J). If your car still has the aluminium tag under the distributor hold down bolt, it will tell you what yours should be. If not, perhaps MartiiAutoworks can help

Geoff.

I took a look through the Marti book I have, "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-73 models) If you tell me what your engine/trans and year, I can probably tell you exactly what it should be for yours. Or, you can go to MartiAutoworks.com website and order the tagbook for yourself. It's a fascinating read and well worth buying imo.

That denotes  M code 351C 4V, 4 speed manual trans for a 1971 (J). If your car still has the aluminium tag under the distributor hold down bolt, it will tell you what yours should be. If not, perhaps MartiiAutoworks can help

Geoff.

I took a look through the Marti book I have, "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-73 models) If you tell me what your engine/trans and year, I can probably tell you exactly what it should be for yours. Or, you can go to MartiAutoworks.com website and order the tagbook for yourself. It's a fascinating read and well worth buying imo.
My engine is a 351C 2V. Got engine tag from Marti. It has stamped 351C  K12  K610JG.

That denotes  M code 351C 4V, 4 speed manual trans for a 1971 (J). If your car still has the aluminium tag under the distributor hold down bolt, it will tell you what yours should be. If not, perhaps MartiiAutoworks can help

Geoff.

My engine is a 351C 2V. Got engine tag from Marti. It has stamped 351C  K12  K610JG.
  From that, your engine is dated October 12, K12 and an "H" code 2V motor. The "K" shows it to be a 1971-72 non-thermactor, non California car. This strange though. My car IS a California car and is a K, go figure! It could be that as my engine was built in February of 71, emissions standards had not been enforced that early in the year. The 610 (or it could have also been 600) is the plant code for a 351C 2V auto trans. If it had been a 4 speed, it would be 611. As for the suffix letters, they were in cycles of 3 years using 24 letters divided between them. A through H, 1st year, J through R, 2nd year, and S through Z, 3rd year in the cycle.

So yours is a second year in the cycle car, J. The G denotes Air Conditioning. The G was added in the beginning of 1970 to denote that the A/C bracket needed to be installed at the engine plant.

Hope that help,

Geoff.

Geoff.

From that, your engine is dated October 12, K12 and an "H" code 2V motor. The "K" shows it to be a 1971-72 non-thermactor, non California car. This strange though. My car IS a California car and is a K, go figure! It could be that as my engine was built in February of 71, emissions standards had not been enforced that early in the year. The 610 (or it could have also been 600) is the plant code for a 351C 2V auto trans. If it had been a 4 speed, it would be 611. As for the suffix letters, they were in cycles of 3 years using 24 letters divided between them. A through H, 1st year, J through R, 2nd year, and S through Z, 3rd year in the cycle.

So yours is a second year in the cycle car, J. The G denotes Air Conditioning. The G was added in the beginning of 1970 to denote that the A/C bracket needed to be installed at the engine plant.

Hope that help,

Geoff.
Thank You Geoff. Thats certainly a great amount of info and explanation.

Hope that help,

Geoff.
Thank You Geoff. Thats certainly a great amount of info and explanation.
 You're welcome Steve. Glad to help.

Geoff.

I have placed 3 stickers based on pictures from other members engines. I need help placing the other stickers. One of the stickers(#2)is silver and will not scan in detail. This sticker states what you should do once a month,every 6000 miles and anti freeze instructions.

Would appreciate seeing pictures of where the stickers should be

i am a little late to this party. but it is a no-brainer that the red air conditioning decal wont be used. as i do not see a/c on your car. i would toss out the ignition coil and voltage regulator decals also. since neither one had a decal. they were painted on. need to take those to a place that makes rubber stamps. have them make stamps in those images. you can also get the white battery decal with correct date code stamps on it if you look around. the big white tie down decal says right on it where it goes.

Back