Chrome spray from a rattle can

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Has anyone had good/bad results using a chrome spray rattle can???

I am going to tackle the dash soon and i need some feedback on Chrome spray and chrome foil tape.

Did Ford use a chrome spray or was it a foil tape.

With the finish being the most important i am leaning toward a chrome foil tape

Has anyone had good/bad results using a chrome spray rattle can???

I am going to tackle the dash soon and i need some feedback on Chrome spray and chrome foil tape.

Did Ford use a chrome spray or was it a foil tape.

With the finish being the most important i am leaning toward a chrome foil tape
 Don't waste your money! I tried several so called chrome paints, but that is just a fancy name for silver paint. Looks nothing like chrome!!

There is a ladies finger nail polish (paint) that is supposed to look like chrome, but I don't have the name at hand, You could google that or someone else may know of it.

The only true way to do this is to send the plastic parts way to be vacuum metalized, a process were by pure aluminium is deposited on the surface in a vacuum.

This is how it was/is done in industry. Metal parts must be chrome plated and not easy to get done these days. There is a company in Michigan that does these parts and restores then like new, Vacuum-Orna Metal, www.vacuumorna-metal.com Other than that it's repro time if you want it to be right.

You may be able to find a company in the UK that does this process.

On my car, I do not have the chrome trim around the gauges, so I ended up painting the entire center dash semi-gloss black, SEM Trim Black and it looks good. You probably have seen my post on aftermarket center gauges.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other way to accomplish what your are after would be hydro-dipping. Have the piece hydro-dipped in the chrome. Then tape off the areas you want left chrome and paint the rest.

I'm still a dummy when it come to linking posts, but do a search for "Any tips on refurbishing chrome on dash parts" dated 06/17/17 from myself. We discussed this in great detail.

Yes there are processes out there that may be an alternative to vacuum metalizing, but they are not cheap. Still worth looking into and you may be able to find someone close by that does one of those.

As others have shared this has been a often discussed and reviewed subject. As Stanglover indicated the the OE process is vacuum metalizing and it is become a hard process to source. I utilized ornametal out of Michigan and spoke with the several times over the phone prior to sending them my original dash parts. When received back I was very impressed with the quality of plating and workmanship. It is not a cheap process, but you will truly enjoy the satisfaction of looking at the panels everytime you drive the car. Below is my post of my expereince with ornametal inclusive of pictures of the end result.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-plastic-chrome-plating

At some point in the future, I intend to send Vacuum-Orna my original factory center dash panel to redo. I did get a cost last year and it was about the same as buying a repop. I would much prefer to have the factory numbered part should I ever decide to put the car back the way it was born. Now, if the dollar exchange was more favorable...…...

At some point in the future, I intend to send Vacuum-Orna my original factory center dash panel to redo. I did get a cost last year and it was about the same as buying a repop. I would much prefer to have the factory numbered part should I ever decide to put the car back the way it was born. Now, if the dollar exchange was more favorable...…...
I replaced my originals with repop and have kept the originals with the same idea in mind someday. If you do decide to have them done, I would sure like to hear/see the results.

Like everyone has said there is no real way to restore except the original process. I saw them do some parts like the other process shown and it looks like it works also. I try to redo consoles and that is the big thing is the chrome on the shifter surround. Most have the metalized material bubbled up also.

Do not waste your time with the chrome tape either it will never stick.

I was going to talk with a local guy that dips parts and puts the camo on guns and stuff and see if he has anything to offer.

The old dash parts do get brittle with age also so the repo right now is the best you can do. I have one blue shift surround that is like new I took off car in 1974 so did not see much light.

David

Looks like i have 2 options. Renovate or replace witha repro. I will make my decision based on how brittle the parts are. If the plastic trim everywhere else is anything to go by i may have to go for a repro.

Looks like i have 2 options. Renovate or replace witha repro. I will make my decision based on how brittle the parts are. If the plastic trim everywhere else is anything to go by i may have to go for a repro.
Probably the best plan going to repops, saves a load of time and effort and probably almost as good...……… I did say almost!!

Geoff.

I replaced my originals with repop and have kept the originals with the same idea in mind someday. If you do decide to have them done, I would sure like to hear/see the results.
 I'll try to keep that in mind. I have heard good things about Orna, but we must remember these parts are old and can only be made as good as the part will allow.

Geoff.

Back