New life into old paintjob all 3 of them

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucaz520

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Ill try to keep the back story short. Car was biught by my dad in 1976. I took possesion in 2006.

1973 mach1 original color blue.

1977-78 it was painted yellow. No stripes i guess my dad was going for the gone in 60 seconds look. 

1993 his wife "suprised" him with a paint job, midnight blue with 71 stripe package. Even at 17 years old i could see the hack job these guys did but the car was good enough for a daily driver and thats what it was. 

I have my punch list of items to get done to make it a reliable grocery getter. Ive tossed the idea around of getting it painted but financially thats not in the books anytine soon. Seeing how it has 3 paint jobs on it already id want to get it all stripped down before putting another paint job on it. 

So i started messing around with the paint thats already on it.  To my surprise the midnight blue shined right up with minimal effort. Of course it has its dings, dents and chips but ill call those personality lol.  That left me wondering what to do with the hood stripe. The poor girl was used as a shelf for everything imaginable and even somewhat of a work bench from time to time. The hood showed it with scratches and even oil stains not to mention the swirl marks i put in it when dad let be borrow the car for the first time and i tried to wax it, doh lol... live and learn. 

So moving stuff about the garage i found some 180 grit paper. I rubbed it over one for the oil stains and to my suprise it looked pretty cool.

So i dove in and went after the entire hood. Long straight strokes and to my delight it gave the hood a nice weathered look. 

Firat pic is condition of paint before.

Second pic was the trial area.

3rd pic is juat about half way done.

At least now it looks like its been driven and not used as a work bench lol

And for the price of 10 minutes of my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
To keep it looking like that, I'd mask it off and blow a coat of automotive matte clear over it. Nothing wrong with a bit of a ratty look. As you said - personality. Sure makes them more fun to drive....

To keep it looking like that, I'd mask it off and blow a coat of automotive matte clear over it. Nothing wrong with a bit of a ratty look. As you said - personality. Sure makes them more fun to drive....
I was thinking that myself.  I can already see finger prints on it.  

Im gonna sand it just a bit more here and there then get it coated.  

I have 2 other spots on the passenger sode i have to figure out how to address. 

And thats it as far as body work and rust.

Looks wise the next thing to do is ditch those white walls and mudflaps.

You can see how much paint is coming off with that buffer pad still.

Old beat up paint sure is more fun. I had a car thst was so perfect and pretty once i couldnt enjoy it.

Take the car to a local auto paint supply house that can load paint into a rattle can. Have them scan the car and make you a can to match the blue and the silver. I'd only fix what needs fixing and leave it at that. If you dig into it, you might start down a rabbit hole. You can probably work out most of the dent in the RH quarter if you pull the interior trim panel and do it from the inside. Be very gentle as I see filler in that area.

Take the car to a local auto paint supply house that can load paint into a rattle can. Have them scan the car and make you a can to match the blue and the silver. I'd only fix what needs fixing and leave it at that. If you dig into it, you might start down a rabbit hole. You can probably work out most of the dent in the RH quarter if you pull the interior trim panel and do it from the inside. Be very gentle as I see filler in that area.
Good eyes on the body filler.  Seems to have been hit there more than once. The current dent was caused in a parking lot in an aparment complex. 

Ill look into finding a paint supplier that can do that.  

Do most paint suppliers have that ability?

Hey if you toss the stone guards I want them. Period correct up into the 80's Ford sold them. I am missing one on my 73.

David
You can have them. I doubt they are ford though. Most likely autozone specials. Ill pull them off today providing none of the screws are stripped.

Latest posts

Back