73 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRANGER

Reaction score
My Car
73 Hardtop 302/c4
65 Fastback
Well i figured i would start a build thread. It will probably be very slow going after a couple weeks as i have a complete restro im doing on a 65 Coupe ive converted to a fastback.  

So anyway, My 73 starts up and moves but had a leaky tank and the carb is pouring fuel out the top.

So ive ordered a new carb (EdleBrock 1406). I have a aluminum intake to install and have replaced the fuel tank and sender.

I have a boat load of parts and plan to start sanding the body down this weekend. 

Other Parts I have and need to install:

New Shocks

After Market Guages

New Battery Tray

Petronix Setup

New Leaf Springs

Trunk Corner Replacement Metal

Passenger door replacement and maybe fender

Front Valance

Light Switch

Stereo

Shifter Restore (It wiggles)

Im sure ill order more but the idea is to get it running for the summer and give it some paint

Hello,

I see you have the Decor Group, side trim black out below. Do be very careful removing it is expensive to replace. REPO trim seems to come and go not always there and 73 is unique for the front fender trim. I do think it makes the cars look much better especially with a side stripe that could be ordered on the coupe. Of course did not say Mach 1 and was the 71 72 style.

Wish I had the energy I have the facilities but energy is running low, lol.

David

thanks for all the info guys. Ill be careful when removing the trim. Its missing from the door already though and i need to replace the door with another one i have since it has a big dent in it

Got to work today and sanded the roof and quarters down. Pretty good shape but the passenger side wheel area is rusted out on the bottom so i ordered some replacement metal for it.

The trunk area was really rusty near the rear window but not rusted through. I hit it hard with 80 grit then put rust encapsulator all over it. I will also treat the roof with rust converter as it has spots all over it from the vinyl roof that use to be on it. Will need some bondo work in the sail panels as it has some dings and such but all and all im pretty happy with what i found

looked at the door more and its not as dented as i thought. So i ordered an eastwood stud weld kit for my mig and it has a 3lb slide hammer. We will see what happens

Need to start taking all the trim and small stuff off but most of the car is ready to start prepping for primer

Also decided on a color and ordered it

35686957_10160429608350521_949938850526920704_n.jpg

and so the rust repair begins. In the rear the inside was rusted out too so i had to make a piece and put in place. I flanged the original metal and used 08115 panel bonding to put the new pieces on but they will need weld in the top corners. Especially the front one where it doesnt quiet sit right so i need to press it in and weld it

LOL, I need your energy.

Just a suggestion. I would never use the rust encapsulation like POR on any areas of the car that will be finished exterior. There is a good chance the rust will come back and make your paint bubble. Remove all the rust by panel replace or grind. Yes use in areas you cannot reach otherwise.

Keep up at this pace and you will be painting soon.

David

Thanks for the info guys...I cleaned the rust up before i applied it. Im just trying to meticulous about the rust... I plan to sand it down smooth and top coat it with epoxy. So far the panel bodnding has done great!!! Ive used it with fiberglass kits before but this was my first time with metal. I left bit of an indent for filler but its holding very well. Ill be doing some filler work today and also may get the roof in epoxy

DAY 3: Grinded off trim studs, welded and smooth patches, fixed trunk corners, applied filler on patches panels and sail area, primed the roof with epoxy

I do suggest you pull the windshield. At the bottom there is a space between glass and the cowl top. It holds trash gets wet and usually has rust there. You cut the glass free from the glue. You can use a thin putty knife and keep it sprayed with WD-40 so it does not stick to glue. That is done from the inside. Need dash pad off and A post trim and header trim. They do make tools to cut the glue with from the outside again use WD-40 to keep from sticking. Be careful anything metal on the glass is a no no. Can cause a chip in edge which can lead to a crack. Good to have some extra hands also.

David

well certainly didnt get as far as i wanted this week but i did sand it down after the primer and then put 2 more coats of high build on. Next ill wet sand and prep for paint

still have to paint the bottom, hood, trunk, tail panels, and bumpers black but the main part is done. Nothing perfect but good from 10 foot. Its low gloss so we will see how it is in a day or so

Back