Air Cleaner???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Hello Everyone, I am running a HEI Distributor on my 302. Obviously, the air cleaner I was running on my original 2bbl carb doesn't fit now. I was looking at purchasing a 14" air cleaner with and offset base specifically designed for the HEI Distributors, however I think that it may hit the shock tower isolators. Is anyone running an HEI Distributor that ran into this problem? If so, what did you do to solve it? Can you provide links to products used? Thanks!

Nik, totally agree with clevlandcoupe not to mix Chevy crap with Ford!! The only "Chevy" part allowable on our Mustangs is the Saginaw steering box.

If you want a better distributor that even looks stock, go for a custom built DuraSpark (or build your own to suit your timing needs), then you can use the intended air cleaner AND have a better looking engine bay!!

Not to beat you up here, your car, your choice. If you like the dressed up look go for it.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys, I went with an HEI for the all in one simplicity. I had a Pertronix ignition for years, but It was starting to fail, so I decided to go HEI. Don't care about mixing parts, care about what works the best. Thanks Jeff, but the original issue was the 14" air cleaner, and the base you suggested is also 14". I will have to wait until after this damn deployment to see what my options are...

Back