Clamp On Mirrors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Has anyone considered clamp on mirrors? As we are all aware the rear view is virtually non existent with the sports mirrors.

There are clamp on mirrors available. They can be clamped to the existing sports mirror or the glass.

Heres a link to a set i found on ebay. They are small and round but there are bigger ones available if you look. The best ones for seeing behind are the larger rectangular ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curved-Arm-Rearview-Outside-Side-Door-Rearview-Peep-Mirror-Classic-Antique-Car/351340293342?hash=item51cd836cde:g:zKEAAOSwg8FVAgd9

Steve, the Scott Drake mirror is one option. Better yet, look up my post on how I enlarged the total mirror size by a 1/2" (both sides). I don't have time this moment to find it for you, but I'll attach a download and a couple of pics. I did post this the other day to ryunker's post about his mirrors being the correct ones for a 71.

With this convex mirror, I can see all the right lane if I'm in the middle (or left) lane on the highway. Remember I drive on the op side to you!! Now, just another thought, perhaps you'd only need a flat glass on the right side, but using the larger size

If you need more, let me know,

Geoff.

Thanks everyone for advice. Stanglover i did see your post the other day.

However, heres my problems. Drivers side mirror moves slowly downwards by a fraction and the passenger side just droops totally so the road by my rear tyre is visible. The mirrors refuse to stay where i set them. Added to that i have no interior rear view mirror. So i am totally blind behind which is not good when you travelling at 70-80MPH on a motorway and you need to pull into the 2nd or 3rd lane to overtake.

However, heres my problems. Drivers side mirror moves slowly downwards by a fraction and the passenger side just droops totally so the road by my rear tyre is visible. The mirrors refuse to stay where i set them. Added to that i have no interior rear view mirror. So i am totally blind behind which is not good when you travelling at 70-80MPH on a motorway and you need to pull into the 2nd or 3rd lane to overtake.
@Steve, 

Never had visibility probs in the coupe, especially with a good center mirror but I sit on the left side of the car and drive on right side (no pun intended), and I recall seen that your 71 is not "english". So the most important mirror is also the most away from you. Even a better side mirror will not change that much, and you still have to turn your head for the simplest checks,

I suggest you take a look at rear cameras, they are now often packaged with center mirrors  and it would fix this potentially dangerous situation. I know you want respect originality, but I saw you were now doing 99% original. I'd go for 98% and add that cam :)

There are many doing this... here's one

https://www.ebay.com/p/Auto-VOX-4-3-rear-View-Mirror-Monitor-License-Plate-Camera-Night-Vision-6-LEDs/1768603995?iid=262584969460

As about your mirrors going down because of glass weight when vibrating, its been a while since i've let cut my mirrors and might be wrong, but I think I recall seen that the glass supports have some guides behind, with some plastic inside. May be these are missing or damaged? If i'm confusing with other another vehicle may be you could add/make one?

Got the droops!! I know the feeling. No, not those droops, your mirror. I fixed mine with a dab of good 'ol Goop. Look at the back pic of my mirror base. Automotive Goop is black and stays rubbery somewhat. This is the product I used for attaching the back-plate and the new glass. I added the Goop, then taped the mirror where I wanted it while the Goop cured. As I'm the only one driving my car, it's fine by me. I've edited that pic to be clearer. The drivers side is a bit more tricky I think as it's controlled by the cable.

Also, I like that blue-tooth mirror camera. Something I have been considering for some time, just not found the right set-up. Fastbacks are the worst for rear view especially if the sun is on the back window.

Geoff.

Suggestions....

Install a rearview mirror.

See link on how to tighten the sport mirrors....

……………… and that's another fix!! A bit more involved, but a good result and a bit less messy.

Personally, I would not use RTV silicone, it's not really designed for holding, but for sealing. :goodpost:

Back