X wife car stolen out of driveway

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I got text from X wife to call. Her car was stolen out of her driveway on Saturday night. She lives in a development and had worked until 9:00 outside. The keys were not in the vehicle. They were in her pocket book that she had sat down in her garage that is part of the house. Someone must have been watching her closely to see she put the pocketbook in the garage and came got the pocketbook and took the 2016 Toyota Rav 4 out of the driveway. Also several credit cards and do not know why but she had her social security card in pocketbook also. NEVER carry a copy of your social security card, why would you?

Anyway police said they do not expect to find it. Lots are being stolen in the area and have not found any. I would think it is about time to put up a sting operation myself, lol. They did use two of the credit cards that night so there is possibility of tracking IP address to home address for that. The car had onboard navigation and told her to check with Toyota to see if they can activate the locator even though she had not paid. Some feel that is letting people know too much about them to be able to track them all the time. I know the BMW system tells BMW where ever car they make is 24 hours a day.

I started last week to install video surveillance at my home and garage. So I will hang the first camera outside of the garage today. Will have four outside covering all sides of garage. Several around home and several inside the garage and home. I picked up system out of local grocery store that closed and got 70 + yes seventy + cameras, mounts, 10 DVR with 16 channels each. So I will probably use 4 different DVR's so that not all could be located if broken into. Also got the video viewing station and it was very reasonable price.

I do not know if any of you are aware that if someone is on your property and not Posted with No Trespassing signs you can do nothing the first time except have the police remove them and file a report. If they come back then they can be arrested. With signs they can be prosecuted for trespassing. The signs have to be quite often every 100 feet in my area to be considered a legal posting.

I am also ordering some signs to warn of Shooting Range which I do have.

More an more people are getting into theft. With the internet out there to show you how to get around any system there is. My son is at BMW and someone posted a video on youtube showing how to break into a BMW and not set off the alarm and defeat the theft prevention. BMW was quite upset they thought their system was fool proof. Where there is a will there is a way.

On one of the Mustang sites I visit there was a theft of a vintage Mustang recently I am sure it is a parts car by the next day.

Be safe,

David

David-

A couple thoughts i've had regarding cameras and such....

Since you have so many cameras, place dummies in obvious locations and active cameras where they are not so easily seen. If someone defeats the obvious one, the real one is still recording. Also, in our rural area people will come up to your door and knock. If you answer they pretend to ask for directions. If you don't answer, they kick in the door and grab whatever pawnable stuff they can in 2 minutes or less. So, place a warning sign near the door with a lot of text so they have to stand there and read it (and they will, because it's in our nature). A micro camera behind the sign should get a real clear image of the face as they pause too long to read your warning. This is helpful because you also can get a good image of the people that just come to your door and leave that you never even knew about.

Or just get a large scary dog. I know that might sound silly to some. But I had a break in while we were sleeping a couple of years ago. Dog came over to wake me up, then he took off for the downstairs and had the guy pined in the corner of the dining before I could even get my gun and the cops on the phone. People are more afraid of dogs than one might think, this guy pissed all over my dining room floor, cops had a good laugh about that one. On the plus side he is friendly unless he feels threatened and he is great with my kids. I do have the cameras as well, but most burglars are smart enough to cover their face making identification difficult.

May have just been an opportunist walking by, saw the open garage door and decided to see what was easily available, or might have been the perv neighbor across the street watching her.

Never leave a garage door open if it is not within your sight.

We have No Trespassing signs and cameras, also some warning signs that the premises are being videoed. Another way to safeguard the videos is to have them recorded to a hidden location in the house, and not just to the DVR that comes with a camera system, and/or to the cloud, they damn sure can't steal or destroy the videos, then.

May have just been an opportunist walking by, saw the open garage door and decided to see what was easily available, or might have been the perv neighbor across the street watching her.

Never leave a garage door open if it is not within your sight.

We have No Trespassing signs and cameras, also some warning signs that the premises are being videoed. Another way to safeguard the videos is to have them recorded to a hidden location in the house, and not just to the DVR that comes with a camera system, and/or to the cloud, they damn sure can't steal or destroy the videos, then.
Garage door was not open. They came in through personal entry door got pocket book and took car. They had to have been watching for hours.

On my raptor I have a Vyncs gps locator that plugs into the diag port. $70/ year on amazon. No monitoring fees. I also have sky link and the ford gps tracking.

I figure one might catch them if they get the ford and the obd one.

Back