'72 Sportsroof question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerbillz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang
So how common were otherwise plain jane sportsroof cars the came factory with nasa hood, 351 2v  and a three speed standard tranny?

And what rear end would one likely have?

That is a tough one to answer since Marti's book did not break out Sportroof and Mach 1 into their own group. With them all together there were 936, 351 2-V with 3 speed built. The rear in all 351 cars is a 9" and ratio could vary depending on air or not. The sports roof could get the rocker moldings and wheel opening moldings that Mach 1 could not. The only thing that a Sports Roof could not have over a Mach 1 was the words Mach 1, The plastic insert in the carpet , honey comb tail light panel and the Mach 1 sports interior option. All other options were available on the Sports roof.

David

From all my research and documentation NO 1971-1973 Sportsroofs EVER "came with" NASA hood.

EDIT - correction see more posts in this thread for a few extremely rare cases where this might be wrong!  thx Ray

If the real build sheet indicate it was installed, I'd love to see it.  Highly doubtful.

But otherwise for the 15,622 1972 Sportsroofs,

only 304 "CAME WITH" the H-code 351-2V and the 1-code 3-Speed Manual transmission.

EDIT for David:  They built 632 1972 Mach 1's with this drivetrain.

As for the 1972 Mustang available rear-end ratios see the chart below:

1972 Mustang Power Team Selections.JPG

Ray

That is a tough one to answer since Marti's book did not break out Sportroof and Mach 1 into their own group. With them all together there were 936, 351 2-V with 3 speed built. The rear in all 351 cars is a 9" and ratio could vary depending on air or not. The sports roof could get the rocker moldings and wheel opening moldings that Mach 1 could not. The only thing that a Sports Roof could not have over a Mach 1 was the words Mach 1, The plastic insert in the carpet , honey comb tail light panel and the Mach 1 sports interior option. All other options were available on the Sports roof.

David
David,

About the only thing a sportsroof couldn't get was the Mach 1 stickers. The interior was an option and the exterior bits were all part of the Decor group. 

Best part about a 351-2V 3 speed car is the ease of pitching the Crashbox of Sorrow with a proper Toploader 4-speed.

One other Mach I feature not mentioned is the pop off gas cap which only came on the 1971 Mach. The Boss 351 did not even have one, but in my opinion should have came standard with one.

Ok.. my mistake.. I was under the assumption from the pic I was sent. The seller now says it's a Mach 1

I am interested in the car but it's a long way from me.

I was wanting a sportsroof to build alongside my '72 Grande as a pair.. this one maybe do some performance mods and paint both the same color as the oem bright metallic blue of the Grande..

I would run from that one with a cowl looking like that that is not even a good parts car.

On the quantity they made I got the 936 number out of Marti's book but that is Mach 1 and sportsroof together. I have turned down several Mach 1's in better shape that that one is one for $1,000 and an M code for I think it was $2,500 with the super rare vinyl roof for 71. Why buy a car that you put 90% repo panels on that will be worth nothing in the end, Mach 1 or not. Remember Mach 1 was just smoke and mirrors not a performance package you had to pay for options to get performance. Find you a great rust free car to start with to save you thousands in the end. If you are going to resto mod go for a 6 cylinder model they are real cheap.

There is really not much desirable on that car not many parts that people seek either.

Place ads in different areas of the country and you will be surprised what comes up.

David

David
David,

About the only thing a sportsroof couldn't get was the Mach 1 stickers. The interior was an option and the exterior bits were all part of the Decor group. 

Best part about a 351-2V 3 speed car is the ease of pitching the Crashbox of Sorrow with a proper Toploader 4-speed.
From what I understand the Decor Group was not available on Grandes or Sportsroofs. 

And I can think of 3 different (1971 only) body type/drivetrain order configurations that would have forced a normally-unavailable, functional, Dual Ram Induction hood setup. The 25 1971 Grandes, the 28 Hardtops and the 56 Sportsroofs equipped with the 429 ram air motor. 

Ray

David
David,

From what I understand the Decor Group was not available on Grandes or Sportsroofs. 

And I can think of 3 different (1971 only) body type/drivetrain order configurations that would have forced a normally-unavailable, functional, Dual Ram Induction hood setup. The 25 1971 Grandes, the 28 Hardtops and the 56 Sportsroofs equipped with the 429 ram air motor. 

Ray
Just checked the '72 sales literature I have and I'm going to agree with you Ray. It states the exterior Decor group is "available only on base hardtop and convertible". 

Tape stripe is "Mach 1 or with exterior Decor Group only"

Under the NASA hood, it states "STD on Mach 1 with 351-2V or larger engine" and "Available only on Mach 1 models with 302-2V engines" and was a no charge option. However, under the 351-4V engine, it states the hood is included, and under Ram Induction, states it's available with 351-2V and 4V only. If that's all correct, a '72 Grande could have a Ram Air hood. 

The Mach 1 Sports interior option is listed as "available on on sportsroof models with V-8 engine, so that means base sportsroof & Mach 1. Remember, that didn't include a tach, you had to pay extra for that - the Instrumentation Group, which had different prices depending upon what the car was equipped with in the way of interior.

Hemikiller, thanks for your reply.

You wrote: "Under the NASA hood, it states "STD on Mach 1 with 351-2V or larger engine" and "Available only on Mach 1 models with 302-2V engines" and was a no charge option. However, under the 351-4V engine, it states the hood is included, and under Ram Induction, states it's available with 351-2V and 4V only. If that's all correct, a '72 Grandé could have a Ram Air hood."

I agree for 72 and later the ram air hood gets tricky. My documentation shows that beginning about Jan 1972, functional ram air "Ram Air Induction" aka functional ram air, was only available on 351-2V engines. For 1972 cars built before that, the 1972 Mach 1 with the Q code 351-4V could have been equipped with the functional ram air. "Ram Air Induction" (should be) listed on the window sticker. If not listed just like that, they most likely got the non-functional NASA ram air hood with block-off plates. As for a possible Grande, it would be interesting to see one!

Ray

Hemikiller, thanks for your reply.  

You wrote: "Under the NASA hood, it states "STD on Mach 1 with 351-2V or larger engine" and "Available only on Mach 1 models with 302-2V engines" and was a no charge option. However, under the 351-4V engine, it states the hood is included, and under Ram Induction, states it's available with 351-2V and 4V only. If that's all correct, a '72 Grandé could have a Ram Air hood."

I agree for 72 and later the ram air hood gets tricky.   My documentation shows that beginning about Jan 1972,  functional ram air "Ram Air Induction" aka functional ram air, was only available on 351-2V engines.  For 1972 cars built before that, the 1972 Mach 1 with the Q code 351-4V could have been equipped with the functional ram air.  "Ram Air Induction" (should be) listed on the window sticker.  If not listed just like that, they most likely got the non-functional NASA ram air hood with block-off plates.  As for a possible Grandé,  it would be interesting to see one!  

Ray
Yes, the 2V/4V Ram Air availability was due to the EPA testing snafu. 

I'm sure plenty of dealers were installing the ramair bits and decals on their 4V cars fresh off the hauler. 

Some probably remember this story

From Dan Davis (429megasite - via Boss302.com 2004)

Ever wonder why in 1972 the Mustang two barrel had ram air and no other 1972 Mustang engine combination did?  This is what caused that to happen.

In 1971 I was involved with the local Mustang Club.  {One of the members} was working in the Ford test track and was complaining about the amount of overtime he had to work.  He had a 1971 Bright Blue Mach 1 with a 429 CJ.  He had a car for daily driving and saved his Mach 1 for those nice evening cruises.  His complaint was that he couldn?t enjoy his car at all since he was working non stop.  

At that time Ford would run every engine calibration for 50K for emission certification.  This was engine, transmission and final drive gear combination.  This was done on the Dearborn test track. All the mileage and emission test data was input into a key punch type system for recording and governmental inspection.  That was {my friend?s} job.  He was one of the data entry and record keeping persons.

Each drive train combination had to go through a 50k mile emission certification.  There were many combinations that had to be proven out.  Having ram air was another combination that had to be tested.  He was anticipating the completion of the test cycles so he could get some time off to enjoy his ?71 Mach 1. 

There were government prescribed maintenance intervals and tasks that could be done to the test cars.  Only the allotted tasks could be performed at the set mileage. 

For whatever reason, {Mr X}a supervisor at the test track decided one fine evening to have the mechanics slap a tune up on a car.  It was, I believe, a Mustang with a 4 barrel 351 Cleveland.  They were ahead of schedule and the car could be taken off the track.  The next day, when management reviewed the data, they observed a spike in the readings.  When {the supervisor} came in for his night shift they were waiting for him.  

He was quite proud of the fact that he had ordered a tune up to assist in getting the cars to successfully pass the tests and be on time.  Hello Houston, this is a big problem.  Management went into orbit.  The problem they faced was to keep it quiet and let life go on or tell the government.  They called in the government and put it all on the table.  

The final resolve was to repeat the test on the cars that were in process.  Rather than doing the whole 1972 line up, the government agreed to let those that had completed the test go into production.  Ford figured that if they had to repeat the entire test sequence on the 1972 line up they would be introducing 1972 models in 1973.

The company also looked at the driveline combinations and started pulling out those that would increase the testing time.  There were some engine, transmission, body combinations that were scrubbed from the 1972 line up.  An easy one to drop was ram air.

I figured they would have fired the test track supervisor for this, they didn?t.  Seems {his boss} didn?t tell him about the maintenance.  He just told him to run cars and get the tests done on time.  

I remember that there were large numbers of new 1972 models locked down at the assembly plants.  They couldn?t get sales release until the calibration for that drive line was certified.

{My friend} got to see even less of his beloved Mach 1.  He was now on a 24/7 schedule.  They had people quitting the job because of the work load and pressures put on them.  The government group was camped out at the test track to insure that procedures were being followed.  

Remember this occurred when the emission concerns were growing and everyone was paving the emission road as they drove down it.  All the auto manufactures were scrambling to meet the requirements.  The government was making up testing standards on a daily basis.  This had the potential to cripple Ford Motor if they had not come forward when the mistake was discovered.  The entire 1972 model line was at risk.  They couldn?t have gone back to selling the 1971 model as they didn?t meet the 1972 standards.      

This whole mess rated a little blurb in the newspaper that Ford had encountered a problem with the government testing requirements.  Ford was working with the government to insure compliance. 

This is the reason that some models have ram air and others don?t.  It all depended on where their driveline was in the test cycle.

Mark

On the NASA hood you have to also remember that Ford would put anything you wanted on the car as long as it did not involve that or safety testing. So that being said the NASA hood could have came on any Mustang with a Special Order status 6 digit DSO code. The hood would show up on the build sheet but not on the window sticker or the Marti. Marti did not get that info. He will report the Special Order status and the price for it but cannot tell you what the Special Order was for.

We all know that the Spring Specials had the NASA hood so not an issue for Ford to install them. They also had the side stripe and Decor Option.

David

David, completely agree with you there. Just to focus the conversation, we're discussing (or so I was under the impression) the '72 model year specifically, which varied a bit from the '71 in which options were available on which models.

As an aside, I missed out on a 71 spring special in argent and black with black cloth Decor interior many years ago.

FYI: I passed on this car, Too far away.. too much work and the owner was unresponsive when I asked for a vin and door tag.

Thanks to all who replied to my post... so much interesting info. So much more to these rides than meets the eye!

Back