anyone have this color combo?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarguy

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland
I'm considering a repaint with this combo but haven't seen one in real life, and yes, I am Burnt Reynolds.  Even I can't afford a 77 Tran AM SE.

Hey it is your car and you need to do what you like. If it is a 72 they did not offer black as an exterior color and of course the stripe would have been Argent to be correct. If you are not building a show car do what you enjoy. Lots of the stripe kits are wrong size and nothing like originals.

David

I'm considering a repaint with this combo but haven't seen one in real life, and yes, I am Burnt Reynolds.  Even I can't afford a 77 Tran AM SE.

Looks good.....BUT......I would go for lime green insets and stripes(which was a color option) OR Bright yellow. Black and yellow with wide exhaust pipes driving down the road like a angry hornet :D

cigarguy, hope this is enough push to go from considering to committed. Like David posted, black was a standard color choice in 71 and a special order for 72-73 with black and argent as the only stripe color choices. The black exterior color fits our 71-73's like a glove and I wish had been a standard option for all model years. The black and gold combo should look great on your car. GM sure sold a ton a Trans Am's when everyone had "Bandit" fever.

I'm sure you have noticed since being here that everyone is good with recognizing that's it's your car, do what ever it takes to "Scratch your Itch"!

Ford has had several black and gold cars over the years that sold well. The black and gold Mustang II Cobra's, Black Magic Capri's, and of course the GT 350 Shelby's to name a few.

And Fabrice was kind enough to offer his 429 Mustang as inspiration. As he posted, just ignore the dents, rust, dirt and lack of shine!     :)

If you forget the dents, the rust, the dirt and few other details missing like the shine...

That's exactly my 71!

Perfect.  Thanks for the pics.  I really like this.  The gold on black is sharp.

Looks good.....BUT......I would go for lime green insets and stripes(which was a color option) OR Bright yellow. Black and yellow with wide exhaust pipes driving down the road like a angry hornet :D
Hmmm...black with bright yellow decal kit could be a sinister combination.  International sign for danger, stay away

cigarguy, hope this is enough push to go from considering to committed. Like David posted, black was a standard color choice in 71 and a special order for 72-73 with black and argent as the only stripe color choices. The black exterior color fits our 71-73's like a glove and I wish had been a standard option for all model years. The black and gold combo should look great on your car. GM sure sold a ton a Trans Am's when everyone had "Bandit" fever.

I'm sure you have noticed since being here that everyone is good with recognizing that's it's your car, do what ever it takes to "Scratch your Itch"!

Ford has had several black and gold cars over the years that sold well. The black and gold Mustang II Cobra's, Black Magic Capri's, and of course the GT 350 Shelby's to name a few.

And Fabrice was kind enough to offer his 429 Mustang as inspiration. As he posted, just ignore the dents, rust, dirt and lack of shine!     :)

Yeah, it's strange how every other generation but 71-73 sported this combo.  I'm conflicted about a repaint that is neither factory option or correct for my build sheet (Dark Green), but it's such a mean look

I like the black/gold combo especially with the ginger interior. Matches very nicely. Well at least it did more than 30 years ago :)

It's unlikely I will do same treatment again. I'll probably use a fresh variation of the original combo metallic ivy green/light grey instead.

It's more in the stripes/deco/letters styling that I would like to bring a personal touch to the car.

You could always use the new ford black with metal flake.  Our 2010 Expedition has it.  The metal flake hides a lot of imperfections but still says "i'm Black and I'm cool!

kcmash

kcmash, almost forgot about that black. Tuxedo Black Metallic (code UH) was a color that really sparkled in the sunlight with the multi colored metal flake. I had a 2010 Flex that color and wasn't really sure at first about my color choice. But once cleaned up and detailed, it shined like it was wet and sparkled like it had diamonds in the paint. And as you stated it was more forgiving of imperfections.

When the tsunami struck Japan in March of 2011, it destroyed the plant that manufactured a large portion of  Ford's metal flakes including a patented substance called Xirallic. That material was responsible for giving a lot of Ford's red colors and Tuxedo Black the "Fire" that made them sparkle. After a year of restricting color orders and working on alternative colors, Ford began phasing Tuxedo Black out.

kcmash, almost forgot about that black. Tuxedo Black Metallic (code UH) was a color that really sparkled in the sunlight with the multi colored metal flake. I had a 2010 Flex that color and wasn't really sure at first about my color choice. But once cleaned up and detailed, it shined like it was wet and sparkled like it had diamonds in the paint. And as you stated it was more forgiving of imperfections.

When the tsunami struck Japan in March of 2011, it destroyed the plant that manufactured a large portion of  Ford's metal flakes including a patented substance called Xirallic. That material was responsible for giving a lot of Ford's red colors and Tuxedo Black the "Fire" that made them sparkle. After a year of restricting color orders and working on alternative colors, Ford began phasing Tuxedo Black out.
Wow! Fascinating information.  I have a Tuxedo Black 2008 Lincoln MKZ with no metalflake, the the 2010 Expo with the fire you describe.  I agree the metalflake is a much cooler eye candy.

Hopefully there is some close aftermarket for anyone who prefers black.

Looks good.

Hertz rental was the first thing that i thought of.

Black paint is............ well a real pain in the butt. I had car custom painted black and when it was clean and polished it looked amazing. What i wasnt prepared for was the maintenance required to keep it looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back