3 years in the making! Proud to introduce my 71!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul113

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Fastback
1871 Mach 1 M code 4 speed
Over three years ago after completing the drive train mechanical rebuilds I was ready to sell my 71 because I knew if i kept her I could not just leave the body and paint alone. You see I had done a rotisserie restoration of my 1968 Fastback some 12 years earlier and it came out so nice that the bar was set and I also knew what I would be getting into should I keep it. I actually struck a deal to sell the 71 with a guy from England when my son stepped in and said "Really? your going to sell the Mach 1?" with a look of incredulity and then he proceeded to reminded me that this was the car that I taught him how to drive a manual in. I told him that if I was to keep it, he would have to agree it would be a father-son effort and a chance for me to learn the boy some things and have him around me more. Also that we were going to retain as much of the original car and we were going to do EVERYTHING down to the paint and color sanding. So I cancelled the deal to sell it and the project began around there same time as college did for him, so he did help; however, it was a mere fraction of what I had hoped and I ended up doing 98%. I could not be happier with the results. I finished it yesterday and it looks amazing! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do and I encourage anyone who is considering taking on this type of thing to go for it! you won't be sorry.

1971 Mach 1 M Code 351 4 barrel, 4 speed, numbers matching.

Absolutely fantastic! You should be very proud of what you acomplished. I have never had the courage to take on sanding and painting for fear of being disappointed with the end result. I'm very impressed.

Super sweet looking Pony. Paint looks beautiful, accented by the dog dish hub caps. Well done. All the desirable features too, M Code, 4 speed, and color. Love to see the engine bay and interior too.

Totally awesome Paul. You and your son did a wonderful job on your restoration. You took the time and did it right. Thank you for sharing it with us on the forum. We look forward to viewing more shots of the stang.

1goldcjmach

WOW - Great job!

I hope it brings you and your son much enjoyment!

I like the caps and rings. Are they 14's or 15's?

More pics please; exterior, interior and under hood.

Thanks

Ray

Great that you kept it and glad your son is interested. Mine is not so I am going to sell lots, lol.

Looks great.

One of the comments about his body man not wanting to use silver or maybe Pewter because it would show defects. LOL the body guy should remove any defects. I would run from him, lol.

David

Over three years ago after completing the drive train mechanical rebuilds I was ready to sell my 71 because I knew if i kept her I could not just leave the body and paint alone. You see I had done a rotisserie restoration of my 1968 Fastback some 12 years earlier and it came out so nice that the bar was set and I also knew what I would be getting into should I keep it. I actually struck a deal to sell the 71 with a guy from England when my son stepped in and said "Really? your going to sell the Mach 1?" with a look of incredulity and then he proceeded to reminded me that this was the car that I taught him how to drive a manual in. I told him that if I was to keep it, he would have to agree it would be a father-son effort and a chance for me to learn the boy some things and have him around me more. Also that we were going to retain as much of the original car and we were going to do EVERYTHING down to the paint and color sanding. So I cancelled the deal to sell it and the project began around there same time as college did for him, so he did help; however, it was a mere fraction of what I had hoped and I ended up doing 98%. I could not be happier with the results. I finished it yesterday and it looks amazing! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do and I encourage anyone who is considering taking on this type of thing to go for it! you won't be sorry.

1971 Mach 1 M Code 351 4 barrel, 4 speed, numbers matching.

Absolutely Stunning example of what you can do when you (finally) put your mind to it!

Back