3 years in the making! Proud to introduce my 71!!

Over three years ago after completing the drive train mechanical rebuilds I was ready to sell my 71 because I knew if i kept her I could not just leave the body and paint alone. You see I had done a rotisserie restoration of my 1968 Fastback some 12 years earlier and it came out so nice that the bar was set and I also knew what I would be getting into should I keep it. I actually struck a deal to sell the 71 with a guy from England when my son stepped in and said "Really? your going to sell the Mach 1?" with a look of incredulity and then he proceeded to reminded me that this was the car that I taught him how to drive a manual in. I told him that if I was to keep it, he would have to agree it would be a father-son effort and a chance for me to learn the boy some things and have him around me more. Also that we were going to retain as much of the original car and we were going to do EVERYTHING down to the paint and color sanding. So I cancelled the deal to sell it and the project began around there same time as college did for him, so he did help; however, it was a mere fraction of what I had hoped and I ended up doing 98%. I could not be happier with the results. I finished it yesterday and it looks amazing! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do and I encourage anyone who is considering taking on this type of thing to go for it! you won't be sorry.

1971 Mach 1 M Code 351 4 barrel, 4 speed, numbers matching.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Absolutely fantastic! You should be very proud of what you acomplished. I have never had the courage to take on sanding and painting for fear of being disappointed with the end result. I'm very impressed.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

Sweet,

I had contemplated silver, but the guy who did the body work & painted mine talked me out of it because he was afraid that the grey would show any defects.  Yours looks straight and smooth.

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Super sweet looking Pony. Paint looks beautiful, accented by the dog dish hub caps. Well done. All the desirable features too, M Code, 4 speed, and color. Love to see the engine bay and interior too.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Looks great. You made the right decision not to sell it.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Beautiful car! And a great story too, I’m hoping my son can help me do mine in a few years.

Jason

1973 Mach1 Q-code

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2425]Visit My Garage[/button]

My carbon footprint is exceptionally large.

Totally awesome Paul. You and your son did a wonderful job on your restoration. You took the time and did it right. Thank you for sharing it with us on the forum. We look forward to viewing more shots of the stang.

1goldcjmach

WOW - Great job!

I hope it brings you and your son much enjoyment!

I like the caps and rings. Are they 14's or 15's?

More pics please; exterior, interior and under hood.

Thanks

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Great that you kept it and glad your son is interested. Mine is not so I am going to sell lots, lol.

Looks great.

One of the comments about his body man not wanting to use silver or maybe Pewter because it would show defects. LOL the body guy should remove any defects. I would run from him, lol.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Great Job!  Congrats to you and your 2% helper.  Just Kidding, you can still enjoy it together and make more memories for the both of you as my Dad and I have with my 72

1411971844_LittleRockshow92516.thumb.jpg.4b6a7d024202171ef8e73a984044ef35.jpg

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Over three years ago after completing the drive train mechanical rebuilds I was ready to sell my 71 because I knew if i kept her I could not just leave the body and paint alone. You see I had done a rotisserie restoration of my 1968 Fastback some 12 years earlier and it came out so nice that the bar was set and I also knew what I would be getting into should I keep it. I actually struck a deal to sell the 71 with a guy from England when my son stepped in and said "Really? your going to sell the Mach 1?" with a look of incredulity and then he proceeded to reminded me that this was the car that I taught him how to drive a manual in. I told him that if I was to keep it, he would have to agree it would be a father-son effort and a chance for me to learn the boy some things and have him around me more. Also that we were going to retain as much of the original car and we were going to do EVERYTHING down to the paint and color sanding. So I cancelled the deal to sell it and the project began around there same time as college did for him, so he did help; however, it was a mere fraction of what I had hoped and I ended up doing 98%. I could not be happier with the results. I finished it yesterday and it looks amazing! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do and I encourage anyone who is considering taking on this type of thing to go for it! you won't be sorry.

1971 Mach 1 M Code 351 4 barrel, 4 speed, numbers matching.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Absolutely Stunning example of what you can do when you (finally) put your mind to it!

I had a Mach 1 before the convertible. It needed paint. It was originally green but my plan was to paint it silver. I love that look. Just a really good looking car.

My convertible is the light blue. I don't think it would look as good silver but thinking about it, I cannot recall ever seeing a silver convertible. I am probably just getting old and forgetful.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Awesome car. Great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Beautiful!! I really hope you get it out on nice weekends and take it for a drive. When I'm in mine it really brings me back to a better, earlier time - and the looks! I see a Trans-Am that somehow snuck into the picture.

Beautiful!! I really hope you get it out on nice weekends and take it for a drive. When I'm in mine it really brings me back to a better, earlier time - and the looks! I see a Trans-Am that somehow snuck into the picture.

Yes.. The trans amis my next project