CW Interior

John J

I finally got my seats back for the upholster. I am happy with the results. They match the back seats petty close considering the age difference . These are deluxe white comfort weave that I order the material is from SMS. They are the only ones that sell it that I know off. The old emblems where in bad shape so I replace them with ones made by Scott Drake. They where a petty good match.

2030252503_IMG_0477(2).thumb.JPG.d8e83837f293f5a054844f267a4b6d8f.JPG

1498828957_IMG_0478(2).thumb.JPG.785276223c130c390c8df056bf4815aa.JPG

Looks fantastic! The difference between the real stuff and reproduction is very noticeable with the white interior! Did you use the original seat foam or repro?

Looks fantastic! The difference between the real stuff and reproduction is very noticeable with the white interior! Did you use the original seat foam or repro?

They look great. I ordered a sample from SMS and it does look like a very close match. Back in the day, I was removing the comfort weave material from the rear seats of other 72 and 73 cars, since the rear seats were hardly used in our cars the material was in typically in great shape, and upholstering sections back into the worn out front seat bottoms and lower backs at the tuck and roll seams. It worked great. No need now with the availability of the SMS great reproduction.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

They look great. You will be much happier in the long run with the additional expense of the SMS material vs the repro.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Hey they do not look like original not sewn crooked, lol. Some of my originals have to be 1/2" on angle for seams. SMS did buy the original looms to make the material so as long as they get the correct threads and colors it should match.

They do look great just a white interior is hard to keep clean. I have two of them.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Thanks. They used the old foam. The guy said it was in good shape. He also said they steam it to make come back in to shape. Not sure how that works but that the story.

John J

Hey they do not look like original not sewn crooked, lol. Some of my originals have to be 1/2" on angle for seams. SMS did buy the original looms to make the material so as long as they get the correct threads and colors it should match.

They do look great just a white interior is hard to keep clean. I have two of them.

David

David you right white is a nightmare to keep clean. But other than the photos of you 2 cars that have white comfort weave I have not seen it anywhere. That was the main reason I kept it. I think its pretty rare. I wonder if Ford tracked it.

John J

David

David you right white is a nightmare to keep clean. But other than the photos of you 2 cars that have white comfort weave I have not seen it anywhere. That was the main reason I kept it. I think its pretty rare. I wonder if Ford tracked it.

John J

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

David

John J

There were 1,315 2B Red 73 Convertibles produced with White Comfortweave CW Interiors and a little over 3,000 CWs in all colors.

I once owned a 6C Medium Goldenrod 73 vert with White Comfortweave CW Interior. Only 23 of them made.

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

David

John J

There were 1,315 2B Red 73 Convertibles produced with White Comfortweave CW Interiors and a little over 3,000 CWs in all colors.

I once owned a 6C Medium Goldenrod 73 vert with White Comfortweave CW Interior. Only 23 of them made.

Thanks for the info. 1315 verts that not a lot. Most of the verts that I have seem in Michigan have black interiors

and I can count those on one hand. You don't see a lot of convertibles around here. Just Mach ones.

John J

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post on the Concours Mustang forum while researching info on CW material...

{I remember Colamco. They were among the first to make Mustang reproduction upholstery and our supplier for many years. Along with Mustang repro upholstery they were an original supplier to White Freightliner and Cessna Aircraft. They haven't been around since the mid 90's I believe.

Would they have used ORIGINAL comfortweave...no. Original STYLE comfortweave..yes. At that time the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan. They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl. The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks. Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today.

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.}

I was surprised and now slightly confused because in the thread they discuss "Comfort Weave" as a vinyl product... ??

Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0

I found this post on the Concours Mustang forum while researching info on CW material...

{I remember Colamco.  They were among the first to make Mustang reproduction upholstery and our supplier for many years.  Along with Mustang repro upholstery they were an original supplier to White Freightliner and Cessna Aircraft.  They haven't been around since the mid 90's I believe.

Would they have used ORIGINAL comfortweave...no.  Original STYLE comfortweave..yes.  At that time the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan.  They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl.  The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks.  Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today.

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.}

I was surprised and now slightly confused because in the thread they discuss "Comfort Weave" as a vinyl product... ??

Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0

The material that the threads are made of is vinyl. Then the individual threads are woven to make the comfort weave.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Were the OEM made that way?... My Marti says "Blue Cloth/Vinyl Grande Bucket Seats"

So were the originals cloth or all vinyl? Was there 2 different types of soft fabrics?

Here's my seats... are these Comfort Weave or something else?

20180107_091326.jpg

The 1971 Mustang Facts Books says that knitted vinyl or cloth inserts in vinyl trimmed seats were options. Knitted vinyl is also known as comfort weave.

Those are cloth inserts.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

soonerbillz, I believe you said your Mustang was a Grande. If so, it had a cloth material Ford called Deluxe Lambert cloth which was unique to the Grande. As David posted the Comfort Weave was actually a woven vinyl material. Ford advertised it as a vinyl material that would breath and be as comfortable as cloth but have the wear and cleanability of vinyl. First car i had with the comfort weave was a 72 Gran Torino Sport with bucket seats while in a very hot southern Georgia. Great to have seats that would  not burn your legs like normal vinyl but could be cleaned with a wet cloth.   :)

Lambeth.jpg

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Grande seats were the nicest interiors in a Mustang. The cloth was a little rough, but very comfy. My Mach has the repop pressed vinyl "CW" in blue. Absolutely horrible on a hot day.

soonerbillz, I believe you said your Mustang was a Grandé. If so, it had a cloth material Ford called Deluxe Lambert cloth which was unique to the Grandé. As David posted the Comfort Weave was actually a woven vinyl material. Ford advertised it as a vinyl material that would breath and be as comfortable as cloth but have the wear and cleanability of vinyl. First car i had with the comfort weave was a 72 Gran Torino Sport with bucket seats while in a very hot southern Georgia. Great to have seats that would  not burn your legs like normal vinyl but could be cleaned with a wet cloth.   :)

Lambeth.jpg

Thanks Secluff!

After some looking.. mine didn't look like the CW and appreciate you and Don confirming that...

If it wasn't for the rear seat fabric being blue in color I would have believed the inserts were white! LOL! So faded they are... 

Do ya'll suggest a good source for that Lambert material?

@secluff

[ but could be cleaned with a wet cloth. ]

I got same in my 73, very comfortable indeed.

Regarding cleaning, when I've refurbished them I've washed them in my bathtub. You won't believe the juice they gave out and I had to repeat the cleaning many time before they would regain the original avocado color that almost became pleasant to the eye vs the old sad army green before that caused by 2 decades of negligence.

So yes, you can clean them on the surface, which is handy but they do absorb all the dust they can like a filter and when you start you see dust on the lower back, you know the "filter" needs be cleaned/emptied. In that regard the full vinyl ones are more hypoallergenic and you actually can see if the car interior is cleaned often vs seats that absorb the filth and hide it. :)

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Fabrice, I bet your glad you were able to get your seat material clean and let the Avocado color shine through once again! In keeping with the Luxury theme Ford had been promoting on the Grande since 1969, the Lambert seat material was much nicer than the cloth used on non Grande models.  

As far as the Comfort Weave material, I wasn't sure a cloth like material that was actually vinyl would work. My 72 Sport was a bucket seat car so that was the only material choice. Glad I was wrong. Keeping in mind that those were my single and very wild days, the cloth like material that could be cleaned like vinyl worked out great in the end.

Any of you folks think back to those days and the "Things" that went on will appreciate my appreciation for that miracle material!     :D

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Fabrice, I bet your glad you were able to get your seat material clean and let the Avocado color shine through once again! In keeping with the Luxury theme Ford had been promoting on the Grandé since 1969, the Lambert seat material was much nicer than the cloth used on non Grandé models.  

As far as the Comfort Weave material, I wasn't sure a cloth like material that was actually vinyl would work. My 72 Sport was a bucket seat car so that was the only material choice. Glad I was wrong. Keeping in mind that those were my single and very wild days, the cloth like material that could be cleaned like vinyl worked out great in the end.

Any of you folks think back to those days and the "Things" that went on will appreciate my appreciation for that miracle material!     :D

I'll never tell.  :angel:

DSC_0266xsm.jpg