CW Interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I finally got my seats back for the upholster. I am happy with the results. They match the back seats petty close considering the age difference . These are deluxe white comfort weave that I order the material is from SMS. They are the only ones that sell it that I know off. The old emblems where in bad shape so I replace them with ones made by Scott Drake. They where a petty good match.

IMG_0477 (2).JPG

IMG_0478 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fantastic! The difference between the real stuff and reproduction is very noticeable with the white interior! Did you use the original seat foam or repro?
They look great. I ordered a sample from SMS and it does look like a very close match. Back in the day, I was removing the comfort weave material from the rear seats of other 72 and 73 cars, since the rear seats were hardly used in our cars the material was in typically in great shape, and upholstering sections back into the worn out front seat bottoms and lower backs at the tuck and roll seams. It worked great. No need now with the availability of the SMS great reproduction.

Hey they do not look like original not sewn crooked, lol. Some of my originals have to be 1/2" on angle for seams. SMS did buy the original looms to make the material so as long as they get the correct threads and colors it should match.

They do look great just a white interior is hard to keep clean. I have two of them.

David

Looks fantastic! The difference between the real stuff and reproduction is very noticeable with the white interior! Did you use the original seat foam or repro?
Thanks. They used the old foam. The guy said it was in good shape. He also said they steam it to make come back in to shape. Not sure how that works but that the story.

John J

Hey they do not look like original not sewn crooked, lol. Some of my originals have to be 1/2" on angle for seams. SMS did buy the original looms to make the material so as long as they get the correct threads and colors it should match.

They do look great just a white interior is hard to keep clean. I have two of them.

David
David you right white is a nightmare to keep clean. But other than the photos of you 2 cars that have white comfort weave I have not seen it anywhere. That was the main reason I kept it. I think its pretty rare. I wonder if Ford tracked it.

John J

David
David you right white is a nightmare to keep clean. But other than the photos of you 2 cars that have white comfort weave I have not seen it anywhere. That was the main reason I kept it. I think its pretty rare. I wonder if Ford tracked it.

John J

David

John J
There were 1,315 2B Red 73 Convertibles produced with White Comfortweave CW Interiors and a little over 3,000 CWs in all colors.

I once owned a 6C Medium Goldenrod 73 vert with White Comfortweave CW Interior. Only 23 of them made.

David

John J
There were 1,315 2B Red 73 Convertibles produced with White Comfortweave CW Interiors and a little over 3,000 CWs in all colors.

I once owned a 6C Medium Goldenrod 73 vert with White Comfortweave CW Interior. Only 23 of them made.
Thanks for the info. 1315 verts that not a lot. Most of the verts that I have seem in Michigan have black interiors

and I can count those on one hand. You don't see a lot of convertibles around here. Just Mach ones.

John J

I found this post on the Concours Mustang forum while researching info on CW material...

{I remember Colamco. They were among the first to make Mustang reproduction upholstery and our supplier for many years. Along with Mustang repro upholstery they were an original supplier to White Freightliner and Cessna Aircraft. They haven't been around since the mid 90's I believe.

Would they have used ORIGINAL comfortweave...no. Original STYLE comfortweave..yes. At that time the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan. They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl. The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks. Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today.

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.}

I was surprised and now slightly confused because in the thread they discuss "Comfort Weave" as a vinyl product... ??

Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0

I found this post on the Concours Mustang forum while researching info on CW material...

{I remember Colamco.  They were among the first to make Mustang reproduction upholstery and our supplier for many years.  Along with Mustang repro upholstery they were an original supplier to White Freightliner and Cessna Aircraft.  They haven't been around since the mid 90's I believe.

Would they have used ORIGINAL comfortweave...no.  Original STYLE comfortweave..yes.  At that time the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan.  They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl.  The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks.  Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today.

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.}

I was surprised and now slightly confused because in the thread they discuss "Comfort Weave" as a vinyl product... ??

Here is the link to the thread...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0
The material that the threads are made of is vinyl. Then the individual threads are woven to make the comfort weave.

Were the OEM made that way?... My Marti says "Blue Cloth/Vinyl Grande Bucket Seats"

So were the originals cloth or all vinyl? Was there 2 different types of soft fabrics?

Here's my seats... are these Comfort Weave or something else?

The 1971 Mustang Facts Books says that knitted vinyl or cloth inserts in vinyl trimmed seats were options. Knitted vinyl is also known as comfort weave.

Those are cloth inserts.

soonerbillz, I believe you said your Mustang was a Grande. If so, it had a cloth material Ford called Deluxe Lambert cloth which was unique to the Grande. As David posted the Comfort Weave was actually a woven vinyl material. Ford advertised it as a vinyl material that would breath and be as comfortable as cloth but have the wear and cleanability of vinyl. First car i had with the comfort weave was a 72 Gran Torino Sport with bucket seats while in a very hot southern Georgia. Great to have seats that would  not burn your legs like normal vinyl but could be cleaned with a wet cloth.   :)

Grande seats were the nicest interiors in a Mustang. The cloth was a little rough, but very comfy. My Mach has the repop pressed vinyl "CW" in blue. Absolutely horrible on a hot day.

The 1971 Mustang Facts Books says that knitted vinyl or cloth inserts in vinyl trimmed seats were options. Knitted vinyl is also known as comfort weave.

Those are cloth inserts.
Thanks Don!

soonerbillz, I believe you said your Mustang was a Grandé. If so, it had a cloth material Ford called Deluxe Lambert cloth which was unique to the Grandé. As David posted the Comfort Weave was actually a woven vinyl material. Ford advertised it as a vinyl material that would breath and be as comfortable as cloth but have the wear and cleanability of vinyl. First car i had with the comfort weave was a 72 Gran Torino Sport with bucket seats while in a very hot southern Georgia. Great to have seats that would  not burn your legs like normal vinyl but could be cleaned with a wet cloth.   :)

Thanks Secluff!

After some looking.. mine didn't look like the CW and appreciate you and Don confirming that...

If it wasn't for the rear seat fabric being blue in color I would have believed the inserts were white! LOL! So faded they are... 

Do ya'll suggest a good source for that Lambert material?

Back