Driveshaft Markings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezsnake

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang, 351C 4V
Hi Everyone, was cleaning off the driveshaft yesterday and started to reveal the color stripe markings.  Problem is, whatever is on the driveshaft is not going to come off without also removing the stripes.  The build sheet was long gone when I bought the car.  Is there a chart somewhere that lists the color and location of stripes by year and vehicle build?  Thanks!

Hi Everyone, was cleaning off the driveshaft yesterday and started to reveal the color stripe markings.  Problem is, whatever is on the driveshaft is not going to come off without also removing the stripes.  The build sheet was long gone when I bought the car.  Is there a chart somewhere that lists the color and location of stripes by year and vehicle build?  Thanks!
I have not seen a list of driveshaft color codes. There were a dozen different driveshafts in a given year based on trans, gear ratio, etc. I referenced other buildsheets for cars with the same year, model drivetrain as mine. I have a partial list of rear leaf spring color codes, by year/model/etc.

I used WD40 to help bring out the color in the markings. It will not remove the paint. Also, you can soak the shaft in Evapo-Rust. I used a 4" Dia PVC tube long enough to hold the driveshaft with two end caps. I then filled the tube with Evapo-Rust and let it sit for a week.  It will remove rust and some paint, but some paint that is not over the rust will remain. With the WD40 I was able to identify the orange and red, but the white and violet were hard to see since they are not strong colors. Also, I had a soapstone circle where someone identified where to put the counterweight.  Below are pictures of my drive shaft before and after and the paint marks on my leaf springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have one handy but are not the color codes listed in the Ford repair manuals? Seems like I have seen them there. The drive shaft in your car might be different from what is in the great pictures. I would think unique to 9" or 8" rear, 3 speed, 4 speed, C-6, FMX etc. On some of the paint markings you can use women's finger nail polish, lol. They have every color in the rainbow.

Wow, rackerm! That turned out great! Good idea with the PVC pipe, also. Problem I have is the driveshaft is covered with a combination of undercoating, black paint, and rust. I was going over the top with lacquer thinner until I started to see the stripes underneath, and stopped. Still can’t make them out, though. If the evapo-rust would remove everything but the stripes, that would be great. Good question on the repair manuals, David. I’ll have to look. Thanks.

Wow, rackerm!  That turned out great!  Good idea with the PVC pipe, also.  Problem I have is the driveshaft is covered with a combination of undercoating, black paint, and rust.  I was going over the top with lacquer thinner until I started to see the stripes underneath, and stopped.  Still can’t make them out, though.   If the evapo-rust would remove everything but the stripes, that would be great.  Good question on the repair manuals, David.  I’ll have to look.  Thanks.
What is the configuration of your car?

Wow, rackerm!  That turned out great!  Good idea with the PVC pipe, also.  Problem I have is the driveshaft is covered with a combination of undercoating, black paint, and rust.  I was going over the top with lacquer thinner until I started to see the stripes underneath, and stopped.  Still can’t make them out, though.   If the evapo-rust would remove everything but the stripes, that would be great.  Good question on the repair manuals, David.  I’ll have to look.  Thanks.
1973 H-code Convertible with A/C, C6, and 9 inch rear originally with an open 2.75 ratio. Factory Radials, which I read once that the suspension was tuned specifically for radials from the factory, whatever that meant.

Sorry, I think you were asking for Cheezsnake's car confirmation and not mine.

1973 H-code Convertible with A/C, C6, and 9 inch rear originally with an open 2.75 ratio. Factory Radials, which I read once that the suspension was tuned specifically for radials from the factory, whatever that meant.
Bummer, i have a 71 M code with a 3.0 ratio with decent stripes on the shaft.

Thanks, guys. Guess I’ll keep looking. In the meantime, this car is a 71 H-code with FMX, 3.0 open axle, if anyone happens to know the stripe config for that combination.

wow @Rackerm, beautiful shaft!

I didn't know there were markings at all. Haven't seen any when I've restored my 73 shaft.

I did came up with my own twisted marking, lol :)

Nice! Hard to get to see it in action though.

Nice! Hard to get to see it in action though.
hehehe yeah, I just couldn't resist, instead of a simple unicolor, I thought about planes engines often having these on rotating parts.

If I ever manage to get it out my garage, I want to make some fun video. I guess I'll need to drive over the camera. :)

btw: still not have located the other 5 missing lug nuts yet. I keep looking and don't forget you!

? I like it!

So, after quite a bit of work wet sanding with 600, I was finally able to reveal enough of the stripes to see the general color, although the whole thing needs refinished, so they will need to be repainted. From the transmission side, it looks like 3 large stripes (pink, red, and yellow), and then 2 smaller white stripes near the axle side. To get the actual color of each, I’m just going to have to estimate from pics on this site and others.

?  I like it!

So, after quite a bit of work wet sanding with 600, I was finally able to reveal enough of the stripes to see the general color, although the whole thing needs refinished, so they will need to be repainted.  From the transmission side, it looks like 3 large stripes (pink, red, and yellow), and then 2 smaller white stripes near the axle side.  To get the actual color of each, I’m just going to have to estimate from pics on this site and others.
This is your colors, but it says it is for a 1971 351 Boss which I believe came with a 4spd

Another example...

Thanks, rackerm. Interesting. I don’t have a Boss, but those look like the right colors.

Back