Car Wrap temporary solution

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
As my car was sprayed a blue/green color by the PO so i have to strip back to bare metal to get a professional finish for the true color grabber lime. To do this in the UK is around $16,000. Thats a big job and a large chunk of cash.

Body wrap has come a long way in the last few years. Liquid body wrap can be sprayed on. Companies claim that you can even peel it right off without damaging paintwork although damaging my paintwork when peeled off would not be a issue. It is supposed to last at least 7 years although i would not be waiting that long to get a respray. The reason i am contemplating the liquid body wrap is the cost which is around $1,000.

Has anyone used liquid body wrap or knows anyone who has used this process?

I used some of the aerosol peel off paint on the tail light panel on my 73 vert. I did not want to fool with getting paint mixed to match the original and this is just a driver not a show car. I have not tried to peel it off.

While living in China you saw lots of expensive cars with the chrome wraps or candy colored chrome wraps. They would change them every few months just to show they had money I guess, lol.

Why so expensive to strip the car? Here in the U.S. we have suppliers that can dip the whole body in tank and take all paint, sealer, and rust off then phosphate treat it and then you epoxy prime it. I think current price is $2,500 - $3,000.

If you do not want to have to strip the whole car down they also have people that will come to you and blast the body using plastic media that does not warp the metal but will not remove any rust. They do that for a few hundred dollars.

Never sand blast exterior body parts or glass bead will ruin them.

Also what we call Aircraft paint stripper is used a lot. We did one car and drove to a $.25 car wash and blasted the paint off and left them a big mess, lol.

David

Back