Install Engine, Transmission, and Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VasiliBrown

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1985 LX 5.0 swapped
So I’m putting a new 351c in my 71 mach 1. I already planned to put the engine and transmission in as one. Would it be worth it to install with the headers on as well? Or will it be too much trouble?

I put my engine and trans in together but bolted my headers up after the fact. The passenger side is easy to get in. The drivers side has to be installed from the bottom and you need about 2.5’ of ground clearance.

If factory exhaust there is not an issue going in all together. Hope you have some help and a great engine hoist. You need one of the tilt mechanisms on the hoist also to get the right angle on the engine transmission. I myself would put the transmission is separate since I have a 2 post lift. You have to plug up the tail shaft or grease or oil goes everywhere.

The videos on the internet showing the factory install is great they do it in seconds, lol.

David

I've installed engines in just about every variation of assembly, but prefer to do mine factory style, completely dressed with as many accessories as possible. I don't have a lift and have a strong dislike of working on my back, so the less time spent under the car the better. I'm also able to get everything adjusted, wired and ready to rock on the floor, much easier than leaning over a fender for hours. A quality load spreader makes life much easier.

The hardest part about installing headers is getting them into place, along with the gaskets, and getting the bolts started. I would leave the header bolts loose so you have some wiggle room with the headers, in case you need it. Not that hard to tighten them down after the engine is in (unless you're using Stage 8 fasteners). Lift up on the outlet end of the headers when tightening the bolts, may gain you 1/2+ inch of clearance.

Thanks everyone! Engine and transmission are out now. Transmission will be getting rebuilt and then everything will go in.

Jack the back end up...……… Hmmm, why didn't I think of that! Oh well next time (I hope not!)

I put my 351C 4V in with the 4 speed attached. Didn't have the leveler, but I used a 1.5 ton low profile jack under the tailstock and lifted the trans while lowering the engine. Bit of a pita, but no real issues with two people.

One thing on any engine install that saves any grief later is to run the engine on a stand or dyno first. That lets you know there are no leaks, everything lines up and good to go.

How many of the million dollar shops do you see on TV they are in a crunch put the engine in and crap is running out everywhere and they can't get it started. I saw one of them go in I think three times before they got it right. Professionals, lol.

An engine run in stand is not expensive and sure saves a lot of headaches of putting engine and trans and everything in and then take it out again.

My friend that does restorations has one and always runs the engine before in the car. Timing set correct, cam and rings broke in nothing to do when in the car but go.

Check around someone might have one to rent or loan.

David

One thing on any engine install that saves any grief later is to run the engine on a stand or dyno first. That lets you know there are no leaks, everything lines up and good to go.

How many of the million dollar shops do you see on TV they are in a crunch put the engine in and crap is running out everywhere and they can't get it started. I saw one of them go in I think three times before they got it right. Professionals, lol.

An engine run in stand is not expensive and sure saves a lot of headaches of putting engine and trans and everything in and then take it out again.

My friend that does restorations has one and always runs the engine before in the car. Timing set correct, cam and rings broke in nothing to do when in the car but go.

Check around someone might have one to rent or loan.

David
 Good points David.

In my case, the engine had been broke in on a test rig by the engine shop prior to me taking it home, so it was basically already set up.

The point is this, if you have a shop build it, have them test it. If it blows, it's their dime. If you build it yourself, then it's your dime, so do it right as suggested.

It all went in with no problem. Just had to remive the tower braces. Unfortunately no one had a stand that I could rent. Thanks for the help!

Back