Original heater core manufacture

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
My heater core is leaking so i bought a new one. After all the threads posted on the subject i don't really want to put the new one in and have it leak immeadiately or within the next 6 months.

Can someone tell me what material the original heater core was made of? Was it brass & copper or alluminium like the ones being sold from China?

I am looking at getting one manufacured here in the UK from a trusted manufacturer and would prefer brass & copper.

My heater core is leaking so i bought a new one. After all the threads posted on the subject i don't really want to put the new one in and have it leak immeadiately or within the next 6 months.

Can someone tell me what material the original heater core was made of? Was it brass & copper or alluminium like the ones being sold from China?

I am looking at getting one manufacured here in the UK from a trusted manufacturer and would prefer brass & copper.
I used a brass core from vistapro automotive.

I found an original on ebay and when I tested before install it had a leak, lol. So I finally got my refund and settled that and went to Auto Zone and just bought one there. It was brass and I leak tested in water with 15 - 20 lbs. of air pressure. I do the air conditioner cores the same way also. Mine has been in for nearly 2 years with no issue.

David

I found an original on ebay and when I tested before install it had a leak, lol. So I finally got my refund and settled that and went to Auto Zone and just bought one there. It was brass and I leak tested in water with 15 - 20 lbs. of air pressure. I do the air conditioner cores the same way also. Mine has been in for nearly 2 years with no issue.

David

I checked Auto zone website and all they have are the spectra premium which is what i have and its all alluminum

When I ordered a heater core I had no idea I would end up with an aluminum one. So I ordered another from West Coast Classic Cougars making sure it was a brass/copper heater core, the weight is almost double. Price was a little higher but it seems to be a good quality one.

IMG_0968.JPG

David found a leak and didn't fix it?????  what is wrong with the world?
How do you fix a leak down in the middle of a core? Not a seam.

David
Ground pepper.  Crack an egg into the radiator.  Bar's Leak.  And of course, duct tape!!!

David found a leak and didn't fix it?????  what is wrong with the world?
How do you fix a leak down in the middle of a core? Not a seam.

David
Ground pepper.  Crack an egg into the radiator.  Bar's Leak.  And of course, duct tape!!!
One you missed, oatmeal/Quaker oats :p

Hey guys you are going to have all the newbies clogging up their cooling system, lol.

The one I got at parts house was copper. I will have to look at box to see if I stated wrong supplier.

I actually used my heater yesterday had to drive in rain and windows were trying to fog up so turned on the defroster.

Headed out to wipe the vert down and rinse out under the wheel wells. First time in rain in 26 years.

David

Latest posts

Back