Took my car to the drags!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I'm really not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here for now as it is somewhat relative to the awesome help I've received over the last (almost) 3 years I've been enjoying the benefits of this forum.

Yesterday, I somewhat reluctantly took my Mach 1 to the area drag strip with a buddy of mine and his C4 Corvette. It was our local county's annual drag meet combined with the usual weekend races. While I only did a couple of passes on the 1/8th mile track (shortened this year due to track break-up at the end run-off), I actually enjoyed beating a pair of Chevy pick-up trucks in the 'Foot Brake' class qualifiers. My reaction times sucked, never done it before, but my overall ET was not too bad and put me in the elimination round. However unfortunately, the races were getting behind and I withdrew. I wouldn't have got passed round one anyway against the pure drag cars I'd be up against.

Where this is all going is this; without the help, understanding and sometimes " just do what we tell you and it will all work out" advice, I would still be struggling with timing, carb settings, you name it and would not have been able to even think about racing it. So, a special "thank you" to all, too many to name.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures taken to prove the fact, but I do have witnesses!!

Geoff

aka Stanglover

Well, how did it do? Our local track is reopening after being closed down for 8 years and we cant wait to get up there to get some passes in.
 You HAD to ask!! Not the numbers I'd like, but here they are; Don't forget, this was the first time I'd ever done this especially with a timing tree.

.0978 reaction, 2.3868 - 60 ft, 6.6438 - 330 ft and 9.6279 ET total 10.2841 Speed 68.57mph and I beat the Chev by 1 second

Second run, .3560 reaction, spun the tire in  first and second for 3.0299 - 60 ft,  8.3160 - 330 ft and 11.5849 ET total, 12.3120 Speed 61.89 mph.and I still beat another Chev truck WITH slicks on it.

Damn slow really, but I had fun. With a 3.25:1 open, I needed the 1/4 mile to get it wound up.

I don't plan on doing this again any time soon. Too much cash invested and no reserve if I break it...…….. besides, the wife will never let me hear the end of it!!

EDIT Note; added speed numbers that I forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had some fun. My friend that does the restorations has someone wanting to run against his 1966 GTO for $10,000. Both are legal street cars but the GTO does over 165 mph in quarter if I remember right, has to have shutes. Burns like 6 or 7 gallons of the $20.00+ a gallon fuel, lol. I think 15 to 1 compression over 500 CI and yes it is a Pontiac engine. He is changing gear to a 4:30 I think. He is confident he will win hope to get video that I can post up.

Glad you had some fun. My friend that does the restorations has someone wanting to run against his 1966 GTO for $10,000. Both are legal street cars but the GTO does over 165 mph in quarter if I remember right, has to have shutes. Burns like 6 or 7 gallons of the $20.00+ a gallon fuel, lol. I think 15 to 1 compression over 500 CI and yes it is a Pontiac engine. He is changing gear to a 4:30 I think. He is confident he will win hope to get video that I can post up.
 Thanks David, I did have fun and it would have been nice to have run at least one elimination, but time was against me plus I had a 1 hour trip home.

Yes it gets damn expensive playing with these 'toys'. Another good reason why I'm not going there.

A video of your friend winning would be great..... even if it IS a GM car!!

Geoff.

Our track is 1/8 th mile also. It sounds like you had fun so that's what counts ::thumb::
Yes Mike, it was fun. Just a pity they were so busy that day running many classes which meant I had a long wait between runs and time just ran out for me. I'd liked to have done at least one elimination run just to see if I could get the 'leaving the line' part right without spinning up.

I'm still trying to get all the f'n rubber off the back end!

Geoff.

Blue masking tape is your friend. Last time we went to the track I managed a .000 reaction time, it went down hill from there haha.
 Yeah well!! Next time...……..maybe. My car hardly chirps a tire at the best of times with the 3.25 open dif, but on all that oil and rubber, different story. My first run I did not spin up at all, so it caught me a bit by surprise. I was thinking more about getting away with a better reaction time rather than clutch and gas pedal control.

I'm a first-timer, what more can I say!! With a 0000 reaction, you've done it a few more times I thinking...…. or you just got lucky!

Geoff.

It was pure luck but I would like to think it was my cat like reflexes. I installed 4.11 gears in it about a month ago so I am hoping to get in a good 60 ft. time and hopefully run in the low 8's next time out :D

It was pure luck but I would like to think it was my cat like reflexes. I installed 4.11 gears in it about a month ago so I am hoping to get in a good 60 ft. time and hopefully run in the low 8's next time out :D
 Mike, it seems you're pretty serious about drag racing your toy. However for me, racing on a 1/8th mile track seems a bit pointless, but I get that some just love it.

I'm more into showing, not to win trophy's or prizes, but to give people young and old(er) a chance to see the cars we loved  back in the day.

You'll have to let us know how you do when the track does open again.

Good luck and be safe,

Geoff.

On a sad note, a bike rider was killed on Friday night's test runs. Not sure exactly what happened, but apparently he hit someone else on the track.

Geoff, sorry to hear about the rider that died at the the track. I am 100% with you on the the 1/8 th mile deal, unfortunately only the sportsman class can run the quarter mile at this time. We use our car for everything and it gets driven daily so it isn't limited to just track duty.  71-73 mustangs are my passion and will be for years to come. Take care man.

Geoff, sorry to hear about the rider that died at the the track. I am 100% with you on the the 1/8 th mile deal, unfortunately only the sportsman class can run the quarter mile at this time. We use our car for everything and it gets driven daily so it isn't limited to just track duty.  71-73 mustangs are my passion and will be for years to come. Take care man.
 Yes it was a shame he died doing what he loved. To add to that tragedy, my daughter used to insure him, so it turned out to be a bit closer to home.

Take care to you too Mike,

Geoff.

Back