Grandé is gone, Mexican Sprint arrived...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So SO nice to see your excitement and passion!! Car guys, that CHASE rare car often have to put time, effort money "and prove" they are worthy to get what they want! (Much harder than ordering from a catalog) LOL

Tell the whole story, as it is part of the car/your life! I have a couple that took 9+ years to get and one that I've been trying for 20 years to buy back. The story then becomes part of the restoration, further effort to preserve for the next generation.

Mark

P.S. There are many that are looking for rare cars that "may or may not" be out there still !!

@David,

I like the Mach1 on the quarter, was this a Mexican treatment or is it custom?

[ Maybe someone replaced metal and did not put honeycomb back? ]

or replaced the "screw in" cap by a popup fuel like I did.

Wondering if this is original, and if yes, if there is something behind and how it looks. As I still have to make something to feel the 5mm gap for it, based on the honeycomb shape.

Guess we need wait for Manu's lights on this...

@David,

I like the Mach1 on the quarter, was this a Mexican treatment or is it custom?

[ Maybe someone replaced metal and did not put honeycomb back? ]

or replaced the "screw in" cap by a popup fuel like I did.

Wondering if this is original, and if yes, if there is something behind and how it looks. As I still have to make something to feel the 5mm gap for it, based on the honeycomb shape.

Guess we need wait for Manu's lights on this...
Yes the Big Mach 1 on the quarter panel is right and I think there were 4 color combinations. I also think they were all 351 Windsor with 4 speed. Everyone here wants the Mexican blocks from the 351 W for racing, lol. Sort of like the 351 Q from Australia was better than U.S..

The interior is quite different with door panels completely different.

David

Fabrice, those are nice looking Mustangs, aren't they. The more I look at them the more I like the color scheme. Like David posted the big Mach1 decal was on the quarter panel and a Mustang script emblem was on the front fender. The four colors were red, blue, green and brown with white as the base color. My info indicates these cars   were all 351 Windsor 4 bl's with 4 speeds or automatics although all I've seen have been 4 speeds.

The interior door panels were sourced from the Cougar. I'm surprised the Mach 1 pop open fuel cap was used considering it was not production installed after 1971 in the US after some safety issues that caught the Governments attention. I believe the honeycomb panel was used but as you suggested may have been left off after an accident because there would be a noticeable gap between the Cap and the tail light panel without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, first time I saw this car on the net, it was for sell. I tried to contact the owner but no chance. Car dissapered from the site where was for sell, and that's it. Was in 2013.

Then my brother found her in a garage on the Atlantic coast, sent me pics. Car was sold to someone else... I found her again (thanks Ray). And finally I got her.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-mach1-made-in-mexico

And what is funny is that a few years ago, Ray Cantwell from Oklaoma told me he saw on FB a Mexican Sprint in France, near by where I leave, was the one I was chasing.

Car has a rebuilt engine, 351 W of course. Need some work on the Toploader and the rear end and body work. Floors are good.

I am very very happy to be the owner of this car, and I guess this what I was looking for, this is my consecration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find!  Congrats!

Are you planning on restoring to concourse, or just getting everything in running order and enjoying it?

I love the giant Mach 1 decals on the quarters - not that I'd want a set on mine... I just think they're cool and wouldn't mind having a graphic that size for the wall in my garage. ::thumb::

Very nice find, congratulations!

Thumps up! ::thumb::

Back