Grandé is gone, Mexican Sprint arrived...

Manu Mach1

After years I was chasing this 73 Mexican, I finally got her. Now in my garage, I canno't believe it yet :)

IMG_20180707_130201.jpg

IMG_20180707_172352.jpg

IMG_20180707_194002.jpg

IMG_20180707_213545.jpg

Mustang, Mach 1 and 351

Elle est superbe!

I like the clean tail panel with popup fuel cap and no honeycomb. Is there some kind of gasket behind the fuel cap to fill the small gap between cap and panel?

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Sweet!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

So SO nice to see your excitement and passion!! Car guys, that CHASE rare car often have to put time, effort money "and prove" they are worthy to get what they want! (Much harder than ordering from a catalog) LOL

Tell the whole story, as it is part of the car/your life! I have a couple that took 9+ years to get and one that I've been trying for 20 years to buy back. The story then becomes part of the restoration, further effort to preserve for the next generation.

Mark

P.S. There are many that are looking for rare cars that "may or may not" be out there still !!

I have always loved the tu tone paint on the Mexican Sprint. Here are a couple pics that I have.

Looks like this one has the honeycomb panel. Maybe someone replaced metal and did not put honeycomb back?

David

Mex1.jpg

mex2.jpg

mex3.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

@David,

I like the Mach1 on the quarter, was this a Mexican treatment or is it custom?

[ Maybe someone replaced metal and did not put honeycomb back? ]

or replaced the "screw in" cap by a popup fuel like I did.

Wondering if this is original, and if yes, if there is something behind and how it looks. As I still have to make something to feel the 5mm gap for it, based on the honeycomb shape.

Guess we need wait for Manu's lights on this...

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

@David,

I like the Mach1 on the quarter, was this a Mexican treatment or is it custom?

[ Maybe someone replaced metal and did not put honeycomb back? ]

or replaced the "screw in" cap by a popup fuel like I did.

Wondering if this is original, and if yes, if there is something behind and how it looks. As I still have to make something to feel the 5mm gap for it, based on the honeycomb shape.

Guess we need wait for Manu's lights on this...

Yes the Big Mach 1 on the quarter panel is right and I think there were 4 color combinations. I also think they were all 351 Windsor with 4 speed. Everyone here wants the Mexican blocks from the 351 W for racing, lol. Sort of like the 351 Q from Australia was better than U.S..

The interior is quite different with door panels completely different.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Fabrice, those are nice looking Mustangs, aren't they. The more I look at them the more I like the color scheme. Like David posted the big Mach1 decal was on the quarter panel and a Mustang script emblem was on the front fender. The four colors were red, blue, green and brown with white as the base color. My info indicates these cars   were all 351 Windsor 4 bl's with 4 speeds or automatics although all I've seen have been 4 speeds.

The interior door panels were sourced from the Cougar. I'm surprised the Mach 1 pop open fuel cap was used considering it was not production installed after 1971 in the US after some safety issues that caught the Governments attention. I believe the honeycomb panel was used but as you suggested may have been left off after an accident because there would be a noticeable gap between the Cap and the tail light panel without it.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Well, first time I saw this car on the net, it was for sell. I tried to contact the owner but no chance. Car dissapered from the site where was for sell, and that's it. Was in 2013.

Then my brother found her in a garage on the Atlantic coast, sent me pics. Car was sold to someone else... I found her again (thanks Ray). And finally I got her.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-mach1-made-in-mexico

And what is funny is that a few years ago, Ray Cantwell from Oklaoma told me he saw on FB a Mexican Sprint in France, near by where I leave, was the one I was chasing.

Car has a rebuilt engine, 351 W of course. Need some work on the Toploader and the rear end and body work. Floors are good.

I am very very happy to be the owner of this car, and I guess this what I was looking for, this is my consecration.

IMG_20180710_190914.jpg

IMG_20180710_190954_BURST1.jpg

IMG_20180710_191129.jpg

IMG_20180710_191140.jpg

IMG_20180710_223111.jpg

IMG_20180710_223114.jpg

Mustang, Mach 1 and 351

Nice find!  Congrats!

Are you planning on restoring to concourse, or just getting everything in running order and enjoying it?

I love the giant Mach 1 decals on the quarters - not that I'd want a set on mine... I just think they're cool and wouldn't mind having a graphic that size for the wall in my garage. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Not a T5, In the South west, close to Spain nearby Atlantic coast.

IMG_20180711_184726_1.jpg

IMG_20180711_184804_1.jpg

IMG_20180711_184733_1.jpg

IMG_20180711_184740_1.jpg

IMG_20180711_210126_1.jpg

First step, remove the gear box.

Mustang, Mach 1 and 351

Very nice find, congratulations!

Thumps up! ::thumb::

Juergen

Nice ride, everyone will kmow what kind of car it is with the billboard Mach 1 graphics on the quarter panels ::thumb::

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

Thanks everyone!

My plan is to rebuild the Toploader which is in bad shape and enjoy that car. I just order a book to help me redressing hte gearbox.

Rear end is also making noise, looks like sound of a bearing, I'll see. Car is now ok regarding the papers and technic control.

Car is jack up, tomorrow evening start to work in horizontal position :)

Mustang, Mach 1 and 351