Considering an Intake change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Currently I am running a Holley street dominator manifold. It is single plane. I am considering swapping out to the Edelbrock Air Gap dual plane. Engine is 351C with the specs listed in my signature below. It runs good and strong. Looking for thoughts on this before I pull the trigger on the new manifold. Also if someone has an Air Gap they are looking to part with I might be interested.

From what Ive seen with dyno figures its an extra 15-20 hp over stock intake depending on the aplication. I run it with my 351c and Holley Sniper EFI , but it doesnt leave much space for the aircleaner. Ram air doesnt work with the airgap.

Last edited by a moderator:
With your cam and such, the RPM airgap should work very well.

FWIW, the Street Dominator series were designed with small ports to increase low end torque. I kinda think you are past the capabilities of that intake.

With your cam and such, the RPM airgap should work very well.

FWIW, the Street Dominator series were designed with small ports to increase low end torque. I kinda think you are past the capabilities of that intake.
Thanks. I was figuring that as it kind of falls flat after about 4800 - 5000 rpm. Not that I spin it that high a lot.

I did a bit of research on the air gap and seems to be a good compromise between a single plane and normal dual plane

Mine being similar build to yours would be interesting to see how it goes and I don't just go by dyno figures but prefer how it will behave overall on the street

Just a note when fitting the Air Gap, I had to grind some material off the manifold where one of the old alignment dowels were also needed to grind some off to be able to get one of the thermostat housing bolts in, may not be an issue with yours but best to check all this before you bolt it on

I did a bit of research on the air gap and seems to be a good compromise between a single plane and normal dual plane

Mine being similar build to yours would be interesting to see how it goes and I don't just go by dyno figures but prefer how it will behave overall on the street

Just a note when fitting the Air Gap, I had to grind some material off the manifold where one of the old alignment dowels were also needed to grind some off to be able to get one of the thermostat housing bolts in, may not be an issue with yours but best to check all this before you bolt it on
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered yesterday afternoon so when I get it installed I will post an update.

Back