Intake Cast Number Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingb1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code-4 Spd. Owned for the last 40 years.
While waiting for stuff (Parts and more $$$$) decided to see what might still be true to the car (73Q-4 Speed). I have 1-3/4 build sheets, buck, and other documents. Scheduled build date was Feb. 22, 1973.

Happy to find that valve cover, tranny, and rear end all have tags matching the build sheet. Block is dated 3B9 (verified as 4 bolt years ago) and has matching partial VIN stamp in the rear. 4* heads both dated 2M13 and dual point dizzy is dated 2M6.

So big smiles all around until I look at the intake. It appears to be correct spreadbore with long EGR port on the right side for a 73Q, but it is dated 2E19. Seems way too early?? Also, there is no cast engineering number. Instead it has a raised portion machined flat that looks hand stamped with “D3ZE      AA”.

Any ideas? Service replacement?? Bone yard??

Also, does anyone know if the toploader should have a partial VIN? Still in vehicle so real hard to see anything.

kingb1973,

The 73 intake was new for that model year so as to utilize the EGR system needed to meet new Government emissions requirements. Since there were no carry over intakes from the previous model year, the D3ZE-AA had to be cast in large numbers and early enough to be able to supply production and service needs. Normally power train engineering has all the ID and casting numbers set before production begins. But since this involved new for the automotive industry emissions related components. it's possible some last minute changes were made to the intake that delayed having the final ID number part of the casting mold. I have seen some hand stamped engineering numbers on some early production cars but not to often. The D3ZZ-9424-A (D3ZA-AA) intake was used through the end of 351C production so 73 Mustang/Cougar, 73-74 Gran Torino/Mercury Montogo,  74 full size Cougar and the Pantera all used this intake. Also note that the hand stamp number area is a different orientation from the cast versions.

As David posted, there is a tag riveted to the main transmission housing that will have the model number of the transmission. Your 73 should have a RUG-BJ1. The front top rail of the transmission housing should have a  partial VIN stamping consisting of the model year, assembly plant and the last six numerical digits of your VIN. So yours should start with "3F".

Hope this has helped with some of your questions.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the info. Took a look at mustang tek about the intake and tranny. I'll assume that the intake is date correct and could be original to the car.

The top loader's tag is RUG-BJ1 as you stated, with what looks like a serial number format. I'lll try to slide under/over with a brush and a mirror to see if I can find the VIN and post what I find.

Thanks again

Thanks all for the info. Took a look at mustang tek about the intake and tranny. I'll assume that the intake is date correct and could be original to the car.

The top loader's tag is RUG-BJ1 as you stated, with what looks like a serial number format. I'lll try to slide under/over with a brush and a mirror to see if I can find the VIN and post what I find.

Thanks again
secluff,

You were correct. The matching partial VIN was stamped on the toploader flange. Took some doing to see it as tranny is still in the car.

Found it in the center of the flange and not on the corner. A little weak and spread out....but it was all there.

Thanks

Guys,

The intake can't possibly be original to the car with a 2E date code which is May 1972 and this car had a February 73 build date. Interesting that a May 72 part has a D3 (1973) stamping on it? Curious to what you all think.

Model year change over was typically over July 4th Holiday weeknd, so the pipeine for all new 73 MY parts would start ahead of that. A part cast in May would support early, pre-production builds that would happen prior to shutdown/ changeover.

It is odd that that particular intake sat around for more than half a year before it was used. An explanation is that there was a batch of parts cast that were put on hold for some reason, but then later released for use. This would happen if a quality issue was suspected, Engineering would investigate and either ok parts to be used or require them to be scrapped. Maybe this batch of intakes eventually got released....

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

The intake can't possibly be original to the car with a 2E date code which is May 1972 and this car had a February 73 build date. Interesting that a May 72 part has a D3 (1973) stamping on it? Curious to what you all think.
Yup. That's the part of it that makes no sense to me too. I have owned this vehicle since 1980. PO had switched the carb, but not much else.

Intake is true to form with correct bore and EGR passage, but, between the hand stamped engineering number, and the date being way off, I agree it may not be vehicle original but could pass as date correct?

Back