Duraspark II ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Is anyone using a Duraspark II ignition system with a factory tach? Thanks Chuck

I had The Duraspark setup on my 73 Mach I with factory tach. It worked great for years. I recently switched to the MSD 6AL and the tach adapter. Did you have a wiring question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had The Duraspark setup on my 73 Mach I with factory tach.  It worked great for years.  I recently switched to the MSD 6AL and the tach adapter.  Did you have a wiring question?

How was the factory tach connected? I'm trying to help a friend come up with a duraspark system that works with the factory tach. The pertronix distributor that is installed won't clear the ram air set up. Thanks, Chuck

The tach was connected through the factory pink resistor wire. The resistor wire provided the 1.5 ohm resistance that allowed the tach to read correctly.

I still have my wiring diagrams from when I rewired my car with a painless kit about 5 years ago with the Duraspark setup. Unfortunately, I am in Europe right now and wont be back in the states until the 1st of August.

Factory tach was fed from ignition feed, through tach, through resistor wire and then to the (+) side of the coil. It's a current triggered tach and sensed the cycles of the coil. The tach adapter replicates those pulses for the tach to work properly.

Many thanks to all who posted. I now know it is workable if he decides to go that route. Chuck

Did he end up going with the Duraspark setup?

You can do a hybrid system, where the coil is connected to the OEM resistor wire, and with a separate switched full 12 volt connected to the power feed for the Duraspark box.

Here's a link to another thread on the topic, post 3 has a writeup (not mine) with two wiring diagrams, one to use a Duraspark coil and the other to use the reduced voltage coil.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/showthread.php?tid=27286&pid=274660#pid274660

Last edited by a moderator:
Back