wiper motor not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I will out for a drive today and it starting raining and I found out that my wipers are not working. I pulled the connector apart and cleaned the pins but that did not fix the problem. What kind of voltage should I have? It a 4 pin connector and I have intermittent wipers.

John J

12v. First measure if you have voltage at the connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Check that you have a good ground. My PO had rattle canned everything in the engine bay, including the ground strap for the motor. I cleaned the paint from it, and it worked. It's under one of the mounting bolts.

@Danno is right,

The ground from gears body to plate to cowl is often corroded or painted.

Another potential prob is the dust and rust inside that can affect the brushes contacts. Mine was even worse, magnets were broken.

Just did a full restore of one of these babies and posted lots of details of the inside.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fabrice-s-429cj-71-project?page=6

12v. First measure if you have voltage at the connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Check that you have a good ground. My PO had rattle canned everything in the engine bay, including the ground strap for the motor. I cleaned the paint from it, and it worked. It's under one of the mounting bolts.
That was it. I had installed new bolts on the wiper motor trying to clean up the engine bay. I did not sung up the bolt that was on the ground strap. 2 turn of a wrench and I was good to go with the wipers. Thanks

John J

Back