What adhesive do i use

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I should have all parts in place on Friday to re-assemble the heater/AC box. The doors and rods should be back from the platers. So i need to know what adhesive to use to attach the foam seals and do i use adhesive on all seals

On a footnote the seal kit was a little dissapointing. The 2 strips that run the length of the heater core came with the kit. However, the 2 thick end pieces for the heater core were not included. I have removed the end pieces from the old heater core but they are not in the best condition. Its dissapointing.

Hi Pegleg,

When I refurbished my heater box assembly (non-ac), I used spray on adhesive. The gaskets and seals I made myself out of foam. Its not original but they seal and do the job. I had re-used the pads on either side of the core. I just cleaned them up and re-installed them.

Spray- on adhesive can be purchased locally at hardware store or even at a upholstery shop.

Be careful when re-assembling the unit with the rivets as the fibre-glass body cracks easy if too much pressure is applied. Choose rivets that fit snug in the existing slots.

Good luck!

I can't get to my car right now, but I used some sort of high strength spray adhesive made by 3M. I think it was specifically listed for use with headliners, and is pretty sticky stuff. Last thing I wanted was future adhesive failure in my heater / AC box. Might have been 3M 38808 adhesive.

Hi Pegleg,

When I refurbished my heater box assembly (non-ac), I used spray on adhesive. The gaskets and seals I made myself out of foam. Its not original but they seal and do the job. I had re-used the pads on either side of the core. I just cleaned them up and re-installed them.

Spray- on adhesive can be purchased locally at hardware store or even at a upholstery shop.

Be careful when re-assembling the unit with the rivets as the fibre-glass body cracks easy if too much pressure is applied. Choose rivets that fit snug in the existing slots.

Good luck!
Thanks Marco. Do you mean a heat resistant adhesive? Is the rubber around the heater core glued? Taking my old rubber off the old heater core i saw no adhesive and the longer lengths were coming away. the rubber surround appears to have adhered to the heater core through the cores tempreture.

I did not need to remove any rivets. However, where one of the brackets that attach the box to the car was starting to crack so i used some fibreglass to strengthen it.

I can't get to my car right now, but I used some sort of high strength spray adhesive made by 3M.  I think it was specifically listed for use with headliners, and is pretty sticky stuff.  Last thing I wanted was future adhesive failure in my heater / AC box.  Might have been 3M 38808 adhesive.
America always has wider variety and better products all around. I think i will use this 3M product available in the UK. Looks like it is good in higher tempreture though not sure if this covers temps on a heater core

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Spray-90-High-Strength-Adhesive-500Ml/112730748330?epid=1105427312&hash=item1a3f46b5aa:g:aUUAAOSwQS1aTP7s

The foam on the heater core was not glued it is has constant pressure needs on glue. The foam on the trap doors I used a brush on contact cement. Nothing special this is not a space ship. Yes the seal kit sucks in my opinion nothing like original. The ones for the cowl to heater box were nothing like original and also the blower motor. I have no idea what they used for sample but must have been done by the school for the blind.

David

Hi Pegleg,

Good luck!
Thanks Marco. Do you mean a heat resistant adhesive? Is the rubber around the heater core glued? Taking my old rubber off the old heater core i saw no adhesive and the longer lengths were coming away. the rubber surround appears to have adhered to the heater core through the cores tempreture.

I did not need to remove any rivets. However, where one of the brackets that attach the box to the car was starting to crack so i used some fibreglass to strengthen it.
Pegleg,

If I remember correctly, on my car the rubber caps around the core weren't glued just stuck due to age and hundreds of heat cycles. As others have mentionned, the adhesive is used to secure the gaskets during the re-install and not used necessarily for sealing purposes. Once the unit is put back into the car and hot coolant starts to flow it will heat and cure any adhesive applied. It may even make the gaskets stick simply due to the heat generated inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Back