Mustang 429 GT convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warranty Number: 1F03J156521

Year: 1 1971

Plant: F Dearborn, MI

Body Series: 03 Convertible

Engine: J 429 4v V8 CJ Ram Air

Unit: 156521 156521

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 76D Convertible

Color: M White

Trim: CA Black All Vinyl, Comfortweave, Luxury Interior

Date:

D.S.O: 900221 Export (Special Order Unit 0221)

Axle: R 3.25:1, Traction-Loc

Trans: U C6 Automatic

With the six digit special order DSO unless you have the build sheet you cannot know what the special was. The Special equipment will be on the lower half of the build sheet. Might be some kind of add on for the Export model depending on where the car went. It is not for color since there is a color code on the sticker. Marti did not get the Special Order records so he cannot tell you what it is. He will have a cost for the Special Order. Would be interesting to know what it is though. There is a site that lists the Special Orders as they come up. One of the first was a 1965 Mustang with Leather Yes Leather interior built for Henry Ford II personal use. Might go there and see if this shows up.

Cheers,

I'd almost bet that car has factory air conditioning.

Rare one for sure! After a quick glance looks like Ford built 20 automatics and 4 4-speeds for the J code (not SCJ) ram air 1971 convertibles

Ray

I'd almost bet that car has factory air conditioning.

Rare one for sure!  After a quick glance looks like Ford built 20 automatics and 4 4-speeds for the J  code (not SCJ) ram air  1971 convertibles

Ray
Hi Ray. I've been communicating back and forth with the owner. He is in Portugal and the car has been in his family 30 years. Auto, A/C, AND power windows! Wow. What a rare car! Of course, I passed on a similar one here about a year ago. I think the car was in Arizona. I wonder if someone on this site bought it.

Hi Guys,

The car is in Portugal indeed and the plate is French

429 Cj-R Convertible (Code J)

23 models produced only

In family since 1982

It Needs a restauration and I can't manage from here (I live in China)

I m thinking to sell it as it is

If anyone interested : [email protected]

THks

I have talked with him some and he does not have many pictures. The car is taken apart and needs pretty much everything except he says body work done.

He is working in China and cannot get more pics until he gets home.

I have worked with importing cars some to the U.S.. If you cannot drive on the ship you have to rent a container and pack it in the container. Has to be strapped or cabled down to prevent shifting. It will be above decks and containers do fall off the boats all the time, lol.

It usually cost between $2,000 to $2,500 from Japan to Savannah Georgia for a drive on. You do not have to have a broker to do the paperwork can be done by anyone. You have to be meticulous on making sure all the number match to the VIN # or they will lock it up forever. Would also require a fumigation for insects and certification for that.

I do not know the cost of a container from Portugal to U.S.. I do not know the export policies of Portugal either.

Two ways to look at it. Parts are cheaper here in U.S. so less cost to put back. Will require a full restore. Do not know if block and transmission # matches body.

If it stays in Europe then the price of the parts pretty much doubles or more so then it is cheaper to just buy one already build and ship to Europe.

Another of those situations that it will cost more to restore than it is worth.

Now if the car was running and you could find a U.S. soldier then he can get brought back for about nothing.

Current owner cannot finish due to living and working in China.

The car has another curve ball it has French plates so I guess he never got certified in Portugal.

Here is what he told me about the car copied from his email to me.

Hi David,

The car is in Portugal.

The plate in French.

The car was bought in Paris on 1982.

I live in Shanghai and I can’t manage the restoration.

Chassis and body are Ok.

Only the hood must be replaced.

Interior and convertible top need to be done too.

I started the engine 5 years ago.

The car is in that garage for 20 years.

The info you asked about, I need to verify next time I go to Portugal.

I am Portuguese but I grew up in France.

I send you some pics in a following mail.

Thks

Regards

Joaquim

Here are all the pictures and info he had with him. So on top of the export / import cost there would be at least two flights to Portugal to verify and to do the export. If you pay someone there will cost more than the airline ticket.

So with all of that doubt it is worth the effort. There would be no money to be made here. Unless it was your long lost car you sold years ago I think someone in Europe is the best bet but will take a lot of money to bring back for sure.

I sent a mail to him, we'll see. I'm close to Portugal, it could be a good opportunity.

It might be worth talking to someone in France and try to get it back to France and get the engine running plus brakes. There used to be a American air base in Germany but not sure if its still there. That could be a way of getting back to America once its running and driving. Anything is possible if you want it enough. The other alternative is to sell it to a European. I am sure a european would love to take a 429CJ on at the right price

The thought of finding a vat big enough to immerse that engine completely and performing some electrolysis on it for a week is exciting. It would have to be a big big vat

My 71 Convertible (owned since 1987) is of course not a big block. But when she got readied to ship back to the U.S. in 2012, after she sat since 1997 had to make sure to power wash the entire car outside and undercarriage, that needed to be certified, had to be soil free! Since car sat for 16 years at that time you couldn't have started the engine under any circumstance so a flatbed truck picked her up and drove her all the way to Bremerhaven. There she got RORO (Roll On Roll Off) service, total cost to ship back here was about 3 grand. And I DO recommend to have the shipper do the paperwork because if you miss one little thing your local DMV WILL NOT give you a registration!!! Funny thing was when I pulled the hose from the gas tank gas came pouring out LOL

Now someone get that BABY!  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for a short trip to Portugal :)

This car should stay in Europe, and why not in France? Already french paper, easy to manage...

Back