Door-to-A Pillar Wiring Convolute

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
Hi guys...I'm building a Grabber Lime 429...and am adding door speakers to the car.  My doors (and A-pillars) currently do not have holes for the wiring convolute, so I need to add.  I have pics of how this is done, but if anyone can provide specifics to the following, I'd appreciate:

1) Dimensions for holes and hole locations

2) Where to buy wiring convolute parts (according part that goes form door to A-Pillar)

thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you can count on with this forum, just about everything has been done by the members and documented.

You can find just about everything by searching, under the More tab at the upper right of the page. Here are some examples:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-wire-harness-to-door-speakers

Post 6 in this thread:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-door-speaker-replacement?highlight=door+speaker

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-finds-good-door-rubber-bellows
Tremendous help..thanks Don!  Any idea of Ford still sells these new?  I'm working with a local dealer to find out if I can still buy the 79-93 Mustang parts out of their supply base.  So far no luck - but the dealer guy I have been working with has been having trouble ID'ing the part number, so we have to get that straight first.  Understand these are outside of the "10 year window" for service fulfillment requirements, however, I find that sometimes dealers still supply odds and ends like this.  As an example, I am still able to buy a new brake light switch for my 70 Maverick. Was never expecting that...

This is the friend I was enquiring for, but I posted in Electrical. Probably should have put it here.

Anyway all great help for him.

Thanks,

Geoff.
Hi Geoff, yes, I finally joined.  There's no way I could have gone through this entire build without finally becoming a member.  Thanks for the help!

One thing you can count on with this forum, just about everything has been done by the members and documented.

You can find just about everything by searching, under the More tab at the upper right of the page. Here are some examples:

Post 6 in this thread:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-door-speaker-replacement?highlight=door+speaker

Tremendous help..thanks Don!  Any idea of Ford still sells these new?  I'm working with a local dealer to find out if I can still buy the 79-93 Mustang parts out of their supply base.  So far no luck - but the dealer guy I have been working with has been having trouble ID'ing the part number, so we have to get that straight first.  Understand these are outside of the "10 year window" for service fulfillment requirements, however, I find that sometimes dealers still supply odds and ends like this.  As an example, I am still able to buy a new brake light switch for my 70 Maverick. Was never expecting that...
On parts availability from Ford. I ask the guy on the parts counter the other day how far he goes back and it was either 1982 or 1985 that the parts books stopped. You can get your dealer to do a search for parts at all the Ford dealers and sometimes old inventory pops up. People like Bob Perkins wore that out when it became a computer thing. I remember my Ford dealer got me the last NOS trunk lid for a 65 Mustang in about 1980?? It was at a dealer. I also cleaned out all the 20th. Ann GT-350 stripe sets when Shelby sued Ford for using the stripe without his permission. I got 25 sets of stripes for all the dealers in the U.S.. I can get you the Ford info off one of the NOS sets of speakers I have to do a search for the part number if you want. There were two different ones actually. One has the wires just for the speakers and the other has Power Windows and the speakers. Those are hens teeth for sure.

I do not think there was ever a 10 year requirement for them to keep parts. I know I tried to get some in the 70's just after the 73 model run and could not get then. Depends on the item. Front end and rear end sheet metal usually sells the best and sticks around longer.

You can imagine how many tools are involved and the area that they take up is huge. Most store the tooling outside after production ends and they set in the rain and snow.

David

This is the friend I was enquiring for, but I posted in Electrical. Probably should have put it here.

Thanks,

Geoff.
Hi Geoff, yes, I finally joined.  There's no way I could have gone through this entire build without finally becoming a member.  Thanks for the help!
 You're most welcome. The help you can get from the great guys on here will blow your mind.

The PM feature is very useful when you need to communicate privately to make deals or arrangements.

Does BFH mean what I think it means? Big F'n Hammer!!? Your car will certainly be that when it's done.

Geoff.

Thanks,

Geoff.
 You're most welcome. The help you can get from the great guys on here will blow your mind.

The PM feature is very useful when you need to communicate privately to make deals or arrangements.

Does BFH mean what I think it means? Big F'n Hammer!!? Your car will certainly be that when it's done.

Geoff.

Yep it does.  When I bought the car, it had no engine.  When we were walking through the sellers pole barn, I noticed the 429 TJ from another project.  He looked at me and said "you want that big f'n thing moving your car?".  Sold... 

Post 6 in this thread:

On parts availability from Ford. I ask the guy on the parts counter the other day how far he goes back and it was either 1982 or 1985 that the parts books stopped. You can get your dealer to do a search for parts at all the Ford dealers and sometimes old inventory pops up. People like Bob Perkins wore that out when it became a computer thing. I remember my Ford dealer got me the last NOS trunk lid for a 65 Mustang in about 1980?? It was at a dealer. I also cleaned out all the 20th. Ann GT-350 stripe sets when Shelby sued Ford for using the stripe without his permission. I got 25 sets of stripes for all the dealers in the U.S.. I can get you the Ford info off one of the NOS sets of speakers I have to do a search for the part number if you want. There were two different ones actually. One has the wires just for the speakers and the other has Power Windows and the speakers. Those are hens teeth for sure.

I do not think there was ever a 10 year requirement for them to keep parts. I know I tried to get some in the 70's just after the 73 model run and could not get then. Depends on the item. Front end and rear end sheet metal usually sells the best and sticks around longer.

You can imagine how many tools are involved and the area that they take up is huge. Most store the tooling outside after production ends and they set in the rain and snow.

David
I went to a DFM Design For Manufacturing conference and the Ford brake switch design was used for the main review. It was one of the best designs that always worked, least number of parts and simple to MFG. That is why you could still buy noting came up any better.

D

While in the garage I dug out one of the NOS sets of door speakers, wires and grills. Here are some pics of what you will search for.

The grills for 71 were different had only one reinforcement bar holding the horizontal louvers in place. I guess that is why it has a D2ZZ number on the box they have the 72 - 73 grills.

Never mind pictures of speakers i want to see pictures of your Grabber Lime car.
 Me too. He's been teasing me with this for a few years now. He's still a ways off completing it, but really soon I hope. Actually in a manner of speaking, I hate him...… he's building MY car  if I ever was fortunate enough to have the funds, garage space, understanding wife, etc. etc.

Geoff.

While in the garage I dug out one of the NOS sets of door speakers, wires and grills. Here are some pics of what you will search for.

The grills for 71 were different had only one reinforcement bar holding the horizontal louvers in place. I guess that is why it has a D2ZZ number on the box they have the 72 - 73 grills.
 David, stop teasing him and send him a PM with a price!! Just sayin'

Geoff.

Never mind pictures of speakers i want to see pictures of your Grabber Lime car.
 Me too. He's been teasing me with this for a few years now. He's still a ways off completing it, but really soon I hope. Actually in a manner of speaking, I hate him...… he's building MY car  if I ever was fortunate enough to have the funds, garage space, understanding wife, etc. etc.

Geoff.
Geoff i am re-installing the A/C in my Grabber Lime this winter. That will be all mechanical side of things done. Underside, trunk and engine bay is done. At some point late next year the body will be bare metal and re-sprayed back to Grabber Lime and have the white vinyl roof re-installed. I can see it in my minds eye and i know its going to look stunning when it eventually gets itd new coat :D

David
I went to a DFM Design For Manufacturing conference and the Ford brake switch design was used for the main review. It was one of the best designs that always worked, least number of parts and simple to MFG. That is why you could still buy noting came up any better.

D
David, since Ford stopped providing paper catalogs and Fiche cards years ago, All dealers are on some sort of electronic catalog. There are many providers but they all have to be licensed and Ford is the sole provider of that info. So all dealers should be able to go as far back as 1980.

The "10 Year Window" thing still pops up occasionally. The manufacturer's responsibility to the new car customer and be compliant with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, required that the warranty coverage be explained to the customer and that sufficient new parts be available during the warranty coverage period. After that parts were stocked or discontinued according to sales volume.

Most of the dealers are subscribed to a parts locator, but finding that NOS Gem you've been looking for is not looking good these days. You are correct that people like Perkins "Wore It Out" when the system became totally computerized.

The D2ZZ-18808-A you have was a deal considering all that it included plus the speaker hole template. Ford discontinued it and replaced it with a SD order (serviced in details). All the parts had be ordered separately, but since it was no longer in kit form the template was not included.

The bellows never had a service number released for them. They were a part of the wire harness going into the door.

Radio with out power windows was Ford part#D1AZ-15629-A (ID# D1ZB-15629-AB)

Radio with power windows was Ford part# D1AZ-15629-B (ID# D1ZB-15629-BD)

Looks like your sitting on some gold with that speaker kit!!   :D

Last edited by a moderator:

David

D
David, since Ford stopped providing paper catalogs and Fiche cards years ago, All dealers are on some sort of electronic catalog. There are many providers but they all have to be licensed and Ford is the sole provider of that info. So all dealers should be able to go as far back as 1980.

The "10 Year Window" thing still pops up occasionally. The manufacturer's responsibility to the new car customer and be compliant with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, required that the warranty coverage be explained to the customer and that sufficient new parts be available during the warranty coverage period. After that parts were stocked or discontinued according to sales volume.

Most of the dealers are subscribed to a parts locator, but finding that NOS Gem you've been looking for is not looking good these days. You are correct that people like Perkins "Wore It Out" when the system became totally computerized.

The D2ZZ-18808-A you have was a deal considering all that it included plus the speaker hole template. Ford discontinued it and replaced it with a SD order (serviced in details). All the parts had be ordered separately, but since it was no longer in kit form the template was not included.

The bellows never had a service number released for them. They were a part of the wire harness going into the door.

Radio with out power windows was Ford part#D1AZ-15629-A (ID# D1ZB-15629-AB)

Radio with power windows was Ford part# D1AZ-15629-B (ID# D1ZB-15629-BD)

Looks like your sitting on some gold with that speaker kit!!   :D
I actually have two of them. You could blow the speakers easily with the 8 track for some reason. I have two cars with 8 track and two with AM/FM so I will just keep them for spares. When I am gone look for them to pop up my son has no interest in cars.

David, I spent most of my money under the hood (and on rear tires) so having a sound system you could hear in the next county was not something that fit in my budget. So that also meant replacing a lot of factory door speakers. (For those of you not old enough to remember 8 Tracks disregard the next sentence) The 8 track most responsible for my blown speakers was anything by Led Zeppelin, especially the  PHYSICAL GRAFFITI album!

I had the speaker change down to an almost NASCAR like pit stop speed! Looked in salvage yards for speakers for a while but most stock or aftermarket speakers I found were already damaged. Sure wished I would had harvested all the bellows I found. The song "If I only Knew Then What I Know Now" is playing again!

It's too bad the speaker kit was discontinued. I believe it was the the $50.00 price range which was what two door speakers would run. And with the kit (as you well know) you also got the speaker grills, wire harness, hardware and the template.

A friend of mine is in the same shape as you are as he has two sons that have absolutely no interest in cars. He has been collecting 427 FE parts since the 60's and has a 67 427 Fairlane that he wants to keep and give to his son. They don't want it and he won't sell it. (Believe me, I've tried with many offers) Since he has a bad back he can no longer depress the clutch pedal, so it just sits.  That will be another one that will show up after he is gone for pennies on the dollar!

Back