72 Q Code, what do you think?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Would be grateful for your opinion on this 72 Q Code please?  It's cheap but needs some work.

Should I buy it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1/223083703835?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Be careful: no pictures of engine or underside. This may be a pig with lipstick.

And you had to sell one car for you 69...where are you going to put this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you see a car that has had a FLOOR put in it, you want to see that the work was done correctly ! You know the floor will be wrong , as only Ford floors have the right characteristics (holes and ribs) to be correct...................BUT bas fitting, welding well why fix that !!

Looking at the condition of the interior, MY GUESS is they spent so much welding that NO MONEY was put into the other items. (Why buy a carpet) LOL When you look at "mismatched parts" included , it tells me car was put together from pieces OR AT LEAST they have a mix of 1971 and 1972/73 parts around! Just hope that the car doesn't have the same mismatch .

Mark

Thanks for your replies. I've got a double garage so have space for a 71/72.

Some good observations. It's come from Canada, not the driest part of the world. The seller has lowered the price by 25% in the last week, so some prospective buyer has seen the car and told them it needs more work.

Shame, it does look nice and I do miss my old 72.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the funds to spare, and you have the space, go look at it very carefully. Take a few weak magnets, very bright flashlight, take pictures and notes. Ask to see any pictures taken during the Canadian restoration to verify VIN among other things. Then be honest with yourself about what you can and can't live with about the car (ex. ram air lettering and hood on 72 Q code, wrong antenna etc.). Sleep on it a night and make a decision.

Q code, 4 speed Mach with the good stuff. I'd say that the present price is within reason for the UK. Might have alittle wiggle room, but the no carpet thing makes it easy to inspect the interior.

It has 73 quarter panels or skins on it and no one bothered to weld up the holes for the 73 rubber filler panels.

What else was missed

Canada uses salt like us in northern US ... LOTS of salt

Agree with others needs to go up on a lift for close inspection

Rusty front floors are usually the result of Cowl leaks. If they did not replace the cowl you have to start all over. Rusty rear floors for a Mach 1 or Sportsroof is usually a leaky roof rail or rear window. You can skim coat a horrible body in bondo and make it look beautiful until it all bubbles up and falls off.

Never purchase a car from pictures, go see it touch it feel it and spend hours checking it out. Measure some of the chassis dimensions to see if it is all out of shape. There are too many out there to buy a rusty one. It might not even make a good parts car if totally done wrong.

D

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Yes that paint looks far to good, my guess is there’s bondo under there as you say. Seen plenty of cars come in from the States where the whole car has bondo under the paint. We don’t get that here in the UK.

Back