1972 Mustang Seay belt question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 2 door sport roof
Hello all. I have a question on the front seat belts in my 1972 Mustang 2door sport roof. I just acquired the car two days ago. It is a very nice car and the interior is completely original. My quandary is that there are no upper shoulder belts in the car. Not only are they not there, they never have been there. There are absolutely no marks or places where they could have been mounted. Were shoulder belts an option on these cars? Are there any other owners on this site who have cars like this? I know that the seperate belt up top exists, but mine never had them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First look at some 71-73 interior photo's to see where the location of the upper mounts should be, then run your finger along the headlining in that particular area on your car and you should be able to feel a hole (tapped 3/8" UNC) where the mounting boss is located. My car had a factory installed drivers 3 point seat belt, but only a lap belt in the passenger side, I ran my finger along the passenger side headliner feeling for the mounting boss hole, found it, cut a small slit in the liner over the top of the hole and then mounted my new upper belt to it.

The car had them when it left the factory as they were a required safety item

Some one replaced your headliner and did not re install them

Where in NE Ohio are you ? If you are close, I have a couple of parts cars and you can measure the location of the holes

I also have used shoulder belts or the new 3 point kit

First look at some 71-73 interior photo's to see where the location of the upper mounts should be, then run your finger along the headlining in that particular area on your car and you should be able to feel a hole (tapped 3/8" UNC) where the mounting boss is located. My car had a factory installed drivers 3 point seat belt, but only a lap belt in the passenger side, I ran my finger along the passenger side headliner feeling for the mounting boss hole, found it, cut a small slit in the liner over the top of the hole and then mounted my new upper belt to it.
Thank you for your response, Flatback72. I will try that.

The car had them when it left the factory as they were a required safety item

Some one replaced your headliner and did not re install them

Where in NE Ohio are you ? If you are close, I have a couple of parts cars and you can measure the location of the holes

I also have used shoulder belts or the new 3 point kit
Thank you for the reply, Ohio Mustang Supply. With the help of the previous post, I have found the mounting holes for the upper belts. I would be interested in a pair of good used upper belts from you though. I will be contacting you about that, probably tomorrow (Monday).

Just a note about an issue you will probably have when you do get the shoulder belt. There was a recall on Ford Shoulder harness of this era the buckle would not stay clipped. Your shoulder belt will have a buckle that snaps into the seat belt in a hole slot. The original pin had a molded plastic part that made it snap and stay in place. They broke and fell off and the pin would not stay in place.

When you took your car in for the recall Ford installed two rubber O-rings on the post of the pin to make the pin again snap in place. Here is picture of the O-rings showing the part number. You can find on ebay at times but you also take your belt to hardware store and pick something out that works.

David

Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs Thank you said:
Just a note about an issue you will probably have when you do get the shoulder belt. There was a recall on Ford Shoulder harness of this era the buckle would not stay clipped. Your shoulder belt will have a buckle that snaps into the seat belt in a hole slot. The original pin had a molded plastic part that made it snap and stay in place. They broke and fell off and the pin would not stay in place.

When you took your car in for the recall Ford installed two rubber O-rings on the post of the pin to make the pin again snap in place. Here is picture of the O-rings showing the part number. You can find on ebay at times but you also take your belt to hardware store and pick something out that works.

David

Back