Mach 1 rear valance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1, Q code, 4 speed, with an open 3:25 differential. It has what is left of the original Gold Glow paint and a very sun baked ginger interior. I purchased it in Winslow Arizona in May 2018. It has a 75 DSO and I believe it spent its entire time in AZ. It appears to have been parked in 1978 until earlier this year when the guy I bought it from purchased it.
I would like to know if all '73 Mach 1's came with exhaust cutouts in the rear valance or if that was an option.  Mine does not have the cutouts and I was trying to figure out if it was changed when the previous owner put the side pipes on it or it never had them.

ChrisH,

The rear valence with the exhaust cut outs was standard and only available on 71-72 Mach1's with a 4bl engine. It was a popular over the counter item and was relatively cheap and easy to change. If your not building a concours level show car and like the look, install one on your 73, they do add to the performance look!

That statement is correct. 73 had a turn down on the exhaust tips instead of going back farther.

In MCA you will probably find it is correct both ways. The reason being that one Head Judge that lives in Wisconsin says it is so, lol. Short history. A friend of mine here had a 73 Mach 1 gold glow with vinyl roof he was second owner. He always wanted my car because it has so low mileage. His I believe was 18,000 miles. He liked the cut outs and went to local Ford dealer and bought one and had it painted and installed it. He sold the car to Jacky Jones that owns a big Ford dealer in North Georgia. He in turn sold it to The Judge in question. The car shows up in MM Mustang Monthly as the centerfold car and WOW it now has only 12,000 miles on it. The article states that it came from factory with the factory cut outs and is very rare, lol. Then My Classic Car is doing an on site program at this Judges home in WI. Now the car only has 7,000 miles on it. I guess he drives in reverse a lot.

So I bet if you ask MCA they say yes they came from the factory but I know the whole story on that one. A lot of the MCA rules are sort of bent to fit certain cars.

40+ years can change cars a lot.

I'm not going to stir up an old argument  :whistling: , but mine was a 351C-2V and had the cut-outs.  It's entirely possible that the original owner might've asked the dealership to install a cut-out valance, or even have obtained one later (while the car was still operational, which based on the last registration sticker was only 9 years after it rolled out of the factory and sat for a year at the dealership), as my Marti Report has no indication of a the cut-out valance, which would've been an option rather than the standard on an H-Code.

Mine also had headers and an aftermarket dual exhaust (Blackjacks and Cherry Bombs).  Based on other things I found, I'm positive the previous owners of mine would've more likely taken a jig-saw to it, rather than actually swap out the rear valance for an optional factory part.

Mine was totally restorable, and I actually got it back into decent enough shape to go back on the car, but the passenger side mounting tab kept coming off after I'd weld it back on, so I opted for a reproduction cut-out valance... which fits very nicely and one couldn't tell it wasn't original just by looking at it.

attachment.php

I certainly don’t want to cause any arguments!  I appreciate all the comments.  I think I have enough info and am convinced mine came without cutouts.  Which is ok with me.  I’m wanting to order a new exhaust and want to put this car back to the way it most likely left the factory.

I certainly don’t want to cause any arguments!  I appreciate all the comments.  I think I have enough info and am convinced mine came without cutouts.  Which is ok with me.  I’m wanting to order a new exhaust and want to put this car back to the way it most likely left the factory.
LOL!  No, any argument would be all me.  Years ago, shortly after I got mine, we had a multi-page... ummm... 'discussion,' about whether or not the H-Codes had the cut-out valance or not.  Mine was a rusty pile and the valance looked absolutely original to the age, vintage, and 'patina' of the car, not to mention the other things I found convinced me that the previous owners would not have sprung for a genuine Ford part to replace a non-cut out valance.  Again, there are other likely explanations other than it being a factory mistake.

Good times! rofl

Glad you got what you needed, though.  Good luck with your restoration!

LOL, It is not really an argument a discussion. In one of the previous discussions I think someone that had the parts books even went and looked to see if there were two different exhaust systems listed for 73 and there were not. The cut out was for the Chrome exhaust tips to clear the valance on the 71 & 72 Q code. H codes did not have dual exhaust either only single. The 73 had Ford finding ways to take cost out with all the new crash stuff they had to do to the front and rear. They eliminated the chrome tips and cut outs and put a turn down in the exhaust pipe to eliminate costs. I think that panel was less than $20.00 in the day from the dealer. I have NOS bumpers that have the bills on them and they were only $21.00 for front and $18.00 for a rear. Lots of people in the day wanted their car to look different and changed lots of details.

If you like the cut outs put it on if you do not then use the other. Neither will raise the ocean level, lol.

My 73 Qcode has cut outs, they are oem as far as i can tell. The car sat from 1984 till I bought it and was practically  rusted to the lower quarters. Not enough exhaust left to tell if straight or turned down. Just sayin

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the sake of discussion - from the MPC. Not saying it's gospel, as we all know the MPC is not infallible. 

71 exhaust

72 exhaust

73 early exhaust

73 late exhaust (turndowns)

Interesting and confusing.  For 73 part of diagram and info chart the February 13 date is significant.  What did it change to after that date?  Also the body type, axle ratio and 4 speed changed what you got.  Mine is a Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed with a 3.25 axle and was built sometime in February.  Would the 3.25 and 4 speed have changed what valance?  Very confusing.  The car has never been repainted and patina on the non-cutout valance seems to match the rest of the car.  I’m waiting on the Marti to arrive any day.  That should tell the day the car was built.  But even with that info it will still be confusing.

If the valance is a Ford part is should have a date stamp on the part somewhere. That tells the stamping plant, shift and date of MFG. If it is not made near the date of the car MFG or made after the date of MFG would not be original. Not sure where it is on the valance. We ran a 2 week cycle on our Ford parts we produced so they did not sit around long.

As I grew up with these cars I personally never saw a 73 with the cut outs present. My original Mach 1 has the turned down exhaust and has never been changed still has factory exhaust. I would expect something would be on the build sheet if you have that. I looked at a build sheet but do not see the exhaust mentioned. That seems strange unless it is just engine driven. If that is so then that would point to just one exhaust system available or there would have to be options on the build sheet for the different valance and exhaust system.

Here is a copy of a really clean build sheet for a Q code 73. If I am overlooking exhaust please point it out to me.

Build sheet has any options that go on the car and if anything special it is typed in on the lower half of the sheet. If you had ordered a non factory color or an option that is not standard it would show in the lower section.

The second build sheet is a Special Order 73 H code vert I have. Horrible condition. Note the info below the Remarks section. States that "information supersedes equipment requested above".

Now if you have a build sheet and it states to install a rear valance with cut outs then I would accept that as being a correct build. Otherwise Ford did not have a way of having two different valance panels in the build schedule. No way to specify it.

Interesting and confusing.  For 73 part of diagram and info chart the February 13 date is significant.  What did it change to after that date?  Also the body type, axle ratio and 4 speed changed what you got.  Mine is a Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed with a 3.25 axle and was built sometime in February.  Would the 3.25 and 4 speed have changed what valance?  Very confusing.  The car has never been repainted and patina on the non-cutout valance seems to match the rest of the car.  I’m waiting on the Marti to arrive any day.  That should tell the day the car was built.  But even with that info it will still be confusing.
Crap, the fourth pic didn't upload. Just added the late exhaust setup with turndowns.

The other place that Ford designated distinct items for the body is the Buck Tag. The Buck Tag has information for items that had to be on the body before it went to the paint. So the valance if it were different would have to be part of that info. The Buck Tag listed things like the nuts in the doors if you got dual racing mirrors, air cond., competition suspension. More or less any steel part that needed to be substituted form standard part before paint. If there were valance panels without cut out and with cut outs they would be on the Buck Tag since it was on the body when it was painted. Never seen that is a decode of a Buck Tag either.

Everyone does realize we are only talking about 73 model.

Another place we need to go look is in the Ford Facts Book. That tells everything included in any options. Like ok if I order a Q code this is what I get. I have not gone and looked at the showroom brochures either and there are several different issues of them depending on when printed. Need to see if any show up with cut outs in any pictures and see if any chrome exhaust tips are showing. I am sure if they had chrome tips Ford would show them.

I went and looked at the Ford Facts Books for 72 & 73 and both state, With 351 4-V you got Bright Metal Dual Exhaust Extensions. Could not get a copy of the one page for the 73 but it is on the site. Here is the 72. The Showroom Sales brochure does not show a good pic. on one I viewed.

So This is what I have found. My car is a late car in May and has the turned down exhaust.

34F057E1-D5C4-4780-99E8-B8B7DEA70C0F.jpeg

Sales brochure for 1973 Mach has cutouts.  My buck tag has an February 5th date.  That being said I think my non-cutout valance is correct and it should have a turn down tips.  I do appreciate the discussion but I am satisfied going forward with a new turn down exhaust.

ChrisH,  as you have pretty much found out, you can step into a dark nasty mud hole when discussing what did and did not come on something. Whether on  a forum that discusses what shape refrigerator handles from the 60's were or were not, or what the content was on our 71-73's....Look Out!!

You can't go by the salesroom brochures. Most of those were air brushed to death and were normally full of mistakes. Interior shots of a Sportsroof that clearly show coupe roof trim panels, 4sp cars with automatic  brake pedal, etc. There are early versions of the 73 Facts Book that show chrome exhaust tips. They did not make it into   production. Just as David posted, as far as Ford was concerned, the 73's were dead in the water. By early 72 Ford had already begun preparing for the new Mustang II launch They had already sunk money in the 73's  they would never recover on newly mandated emissions and safety equipment such as the crash bumpers. So some De-contenting took place to save where they could. To us, saving 5 cents doesn't seem like that much, but when the "Suits" in the front office multiply that by a single day production, their eyes gloss over.

As far as the 71-72's, there just aren't any part numbers that exist to support the existence of a left side exhaust for a 2bl equipped 71-73. The three "H" pipes listed for the 351's were for R,M,and Q engines which had larger exhaust manifolds. The OE and replacement exhaust for 4bl Mach1's were one piece from the intermediate pipe to the tail pipes. The part numbers were unique to the 4bl versions because of locator tabs that were spot welded to the tail pipe end to fit in a slot in the chrome tip to align them so as to not be crooked.

As I posted earlier, the rear valence with cutouts was a popular over the counter item, Sales dept included. Even into the 80,s you could purchase  the D1ZZ-6540544-B  panel for $53.55. And if you wanted the Ford chrome tips to to install on a aftermarket exhaust, they were in the $30.00 range! All affordable.   :D

So as we can all see this is not a cut and dried situation. There is noting that states this is the way it was.

I would be willing to accept the fact that there were 73 Q code mustangs with cut outs in the rear valance panels and chrome exhaust if someone can supply a picture of their Buck Tag with the code for the panel. As I stated before the Buck Tag had information for any body parts that were unique to that car and not standard that had to be installed before paint. If you got a NASA hood without locks one code, NASA hood with locks another. Since the valance panels was installed before paint it would have to be on the Buck Tag to be part of the original build. Anything that went on the car after paint is on the Build Sheet and is a bolt on or stick on item.

SO IF ANYONE CAN COME UP WITH A 1973 BUCK TAG WITH A CODE FOR INSTALLING THE VALANCE PANEL WITH CUT OUTS ON A Q CODE PLEASE POST IT UP. YOU WILL BE A HERO, LOL.

To also help find out what that code might be. If you have a 1972 with the cut outs and chrome exhaust extensions a picture of your Buck Tag might give us the code to search for. We know there were two different valance panels then so there has to be a code for the install.

This is the tag on my 1973 not a great picture but what I am looking for. Since my car had lots of options the tag has lots of information on it. Your tag, if present, should be somewhere around the L.F. headlight bucket on the radiator support. My 72 Q vert is missing the tag so I cannot reference it for info.

D

I remarked to Boss1Ray one time how I wished we could snag someone from the Dearborn plant to have on our Forum. Management, body or power train engineer, or even a line worker. Ray did post a video of a interview with a retired  worker that was interesting, thought he was not at the Mustang plant. His remarks about a freshly lit joint in the ash tray as the next car came by his station explains a lot.  I'm sure we could come up with a lengthy list of questions.

As David can attest to, a lot of things got changed at all different levels on the assembly line at any given time. Some  involved content changes, engineer revisions, or things done to streamline the assembly process. Not all made it to consumer level printed matter as most was done for internal reasons. Remember the disclaimer you see on manufactures printed matter "The manufacturer reserves the right to change product specifications, options, without notice and without incurring any obligations". That way they can cover their tails! ( CYA)

As for the 73's, I believe Ford was originally going to place the chrome tips on the Q Mach1. The first illustration Hemikiller posted shows the muffler and tail pipe where a turn down or chrome tip could be installed according to the body style. But the only tip listed in the revised MPC is the D1ZZ-5255-D  which is a turn down pipe and listed for 63R (Mach1). Was probably cheaper for Ford to just not install the chrome tips rather than to scrap the already manufactured muffler and tail pipes with the locator tabs. The after 2/13/73 has the turn down pipes made onto the tail pipe. The 4sp, 3.25 differential ratio, and body style call out sure throws more mud into this mix! Boss1Ray...any ideals. I've stirred up enough!!     :D

I really expected this to be a cut and dry thing.  I had no idea there would be so much debate.  It has been very interesting.  It’s funny I feel like I should apologize or something.  I hope there is a buck tag code that can be identified.  Here is a pic of my tag of course it only mentions dual exhaust.  Without going off on a buck tag decoding debate.  Is there a quick non-debatable easy answer to the “black” code on my tag, what is it referring to?  Thanks and sorry

F3F1495C-8876-40F7-88E4-9DA084F7D342.jpeg

Back