A/C box removal and strip down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I stripped out the A/C box and blower motor around a month ago. After doing a couple of repairs to the A/C box and blower box i decided the spray the exterior matt black. I think it worked out quite well. The last of my parts arrived today from Classic Auto Air to enable me to put everything back together. I still have to buy remanufactured Vacuum motors, thermostatic switch, water valve and compressor. The parts i still have to buy wont stop me getting it all back together.

I managed to get so far and realised i had forgot to bring my workshop manual and laptop with me. I dont know how many other forum members have that older person memory but i sure forgot how some of the flaps went in. I will just have to try and remember the laptop for pictures i took and the workshop manual for the indepth pictures.

I am more than happy with the parts that came back from the platers. Here are pics of it all laid out on the bench;

William Shakespeare Under the Greenwood Tree

I will post some more pictures tomorrow when its all re-assembled.

The plating looks really good! Good luck with the project. This is something I will have to do as well so thanks for sharing.
When you remove tha heater core be sure to retain the thick rubbers from top and bottom. They do not come with the seal kit. It is possible to remove them as long as you take your time and use a very sharp craft knife. The heat from the heater core makes the rubbers stick to the core. The only placces i needed glue for was the seals on the doors and the oblong duct on top of the heater core casing

Managed to put the blower motor and A/C box back together after refering to pictures i had taken of correct way to re-install flaps and the rods. There are a couple of parts that go on the outside of the A/C box not fitted as i have sent them to the platers today

Looks great. Just a suggestion to keep those little critters out of that clean heater air box. Go to hardware and get you some mesh wire and put a piece of it between the cowl and the seal. We have lots of mice, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes and such that love to build nests inside the heater boxes. As you can guess it does not smell too good and also a headache to clean out.

It cannot be seen so should not affect your Concourse status.

My seal was two thin pieces so I put the wire between the two foam sheets. I also zip tie the mesh on the underside of the Cowl vents to keep them out and put Stainless Steel scrubber pads in the two cowl drains. That way no nests in the cowl either. I have parted out two cars that had nests in the cowl. Holds water and will rust it out fast. Here are some pics. You can see the nest on the drivers side of this vert. I did paint the mesh wire black under the cowl vents you can hardly see it even when looking for it.

poems by Judson Jerome

Looks like you are missing the thermodangle
Yeah the thermostatic switch, water valve, and 4 vacuum motors still have to purchased and installed.

I like the fact Original Auto Air color code the new vacuum lines to make the spaghetti easier to install ::thumb::

Looks great. Just a suggestion to keep those little critters out of that clean heater air box. Go to hardware and get you some mesh wire and put a piece of it between the cowl and the seal. We have lots of mice, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes and such that love to build nests inside the heater boxes. As you can guess it does not smell too good and also a headache to clean out.

It cannot be seen so should not affect your Concourse status.

My seal was two thin pieces so I put the wire between the two foam sheets. I also zip tie the mesh on the underside of the Cowl vents to keep them out and put Stainless Steel scrubber pads in the two cowl drains. That way no nests in the cowl either. I have parted out two cars that had nests in the cowl. Holds water and will rust it out fast. Here are some pics. You can see the nest on the drivers side of this vert. I did paint the mesh wire black under the cowl vents you can hardly see it even when looking for it.

poems by Judson Jerome
Thats a great idea. I will follow your lead even though we dont have anywhere near the critters you get in America

Back