Axle question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a axle tag present? The raio will be on there. Failing that look on your dorr data plate for axle type. Once you got that info you should be able to find the ratio

"955C" would have been on the paper tag wrapped around the axle tube. It was for Ford assembly personnel to quickly ID the needed axle assembly for the car.

HemiKiller is correct. My build sheet reads 951B for an open 2:75. As others have indicated the Original door tag will show and the rear should have the attached tag. This is assuming all of these are still from the original car.

"955C" would have been on the paper tag wrapped around the axle tube. It was for Ford assembly personnel to quickly ID the needed axle assembly for the car.
Thanks for that, I think mine is 981A, and I couldn't associate it with codes or part numbers.

You still have paper tags on your rear axles? One hardly ever sees them after this many years!

If interested I found a person who can reproduce them.  He has the ability to make them very very close to the originals with type font, spacing and block type following each number set.

P1010540.JPG

What's the first five of your VIN code? There should also be a tag under one  of the nuts holding the pumpkin to the axle housing.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
3F05Q Tag is gone on axle too how ever I was able to pull some off the door it has vin # (good) and axle with a number 9 under it ,,check this out I jacked both wheel off the ground marked drive s and wheel and only get 1-1/4 turn for one full turn on the drive s...man im in left field on this although the rear wheel was hard to turn

Last edited by a moderator:
73 Q-code got either a 3.25 or 3.50 rear axle.

If your car is a factory A/C car, it would get a 3.25 regardless of trans. If you have a 4 spd non A/C car, 3.50 gear was standard. 3.25 was standard C-6 rear gear.

3.50 (auto) or 3.25 (4 spd) were optional, as was the Traction-lok.

3.50 gear was -usually- 31 spline, 3.25 was 28.

Best way to tell once the tags are gone is a Marti report for what it originally came with, or a build sheet if you are very lucky.

73 Q-code got either a 3.25 or 3.50 rear axle.

If your car is a factory A/C car, it would get a 3.25 regardless of trans. If you have a 4 spd non A/C car, 3.50 gear was standard. 3.25 was standard C-6 rear gear.

3.50 (auto) or 3.25 (4 spd) were optional, as was the Traction-lok.

3.50 gear was -usually- 31 spline, 3.25 was 28.

Best way to tell once the tags are gone is a Marti report for what it originally came with, or a build sheet if you are very lucky.
Thanks Hemikiller this was a big help im going to get Marti Report  it is an auto and has AC

so it  should be a 3.25

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the first five of your VIN code? There should also be a tag under one  of the nuts holding the pumpkin to the axle housing.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
3F05Q Tag is gone on axle too how ever I was able to pull some off the door it has vin # (good) and axle with a number 9 under it ,,check this out I jacked both wheel off the ground marked drive s and wheel and only get 1-1/4 turn for one full turn on the drive s...man im in left field on this although the rear wheel was hard to turn
Axle code "9" is a 3.25 open.

Back