Noob with a '72 Fastback and no trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello and greetings from So Cal. My son and I just picked up a '72 Fastback project car. It's a solid car so far with very little rust and so far everything in pretty good shape. It's a 351C, 4V car. The previous owner had started a conversion from auto to T56 Magnum 6 speed. So the car has no trans in it right now, but we got it running and it came with the new trans in a box and pretty much all the parts needed to complete the conversion, including a hydraulic clutch kit.  

I'm handy but very rusty as it's been probably 25+ years since I've wrenched on something with a carb or anything that needs a lot of attention for that matter. So we are trying to figure out if we want to do the trans swap ourselves or have someone help. As with any car like this, it needs about a million parts all over, so keeping this affordable (cheap) is key right now as I really couldn't afford the car in the first place. Reasonably sure I can get the trans installed as I've done that a few times. Less sure about getting my fat ass under the dash to work on that clutch pedal setup. If I do attempt that, it should make for a good youtube video. 

Anyway, just wanted to check in as the latest noob with a soon to be great car. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/XAwI63q36sow0mPXA0kAMq6-hHz1p--leYPIrBM4x6XkoqVPtQkOopOX22YVVNkKxQSvAqBtv2CY1XJdk-8E5qMens54erWu82_hAkZt9sVZSJatIrfRpPIivRt8N_svSNL3jX6cJhU=w2400[/img]

Hello and Welcome from upstate Cali.

A weight lifting bench with only one side having legs to set outside the car while the bench rest on the

car helps getting under the dash.

Bru

73 PONY is correct on this. Pull the dash and the pedal support to have the bearings installed for the clutch.   You will really regret it if you don't. On the other hand you will be a qualified contortionist if you don't.   Ed in New Mexico. Welcome !! Enjoy the ride.

Pull steering column, pull brake booster and master, pedal support will come out without compelte dash removal. You do have to undo the fuse holder and uncouple from the harness as it is mounted to the pedal support. I just did this last week. About 5.5 hours in the whole thing, out and all back together and that was a first time doing that for me, so not too terrible of a job, just cramped.

Thanks all for the comments. I've been asking around other places about this and really haven't gotten any useful feedback as it seems most people don't know 1971-73 Mustangs exist, so this is great. The previous owner had started a lot of the disassembly as the booster is out (and missing) and the dash is loose along with the steering column. Come to think of it, I hope the pedal support is in there as the brake pedal is out. I better head out there later and check to see if that support is in there.

This all gets more fun as again, I'm not tiny and as an added bonus, the car is full of black widows.

Welcome from Oklahoma

Sounds like you are already getting some great advice from folks that have been there and done that!

Ray

It really helps to take the front seat out before you try to squeeze under there. The only way this old (and overweight) fogey will (maybe can) do it.
Thanks. There is no way I'm getting under there with that seat installed so good call there.  

Welcome from San Diego. Congrats you found the place for all your 72 projects needs.
Also in San Diego, thanks!

It really helps to take the front seat out before you try to squeeze under there. The only way this old (and overweight) fogey will (maybe can) do it.
Thanks. There is no way I'm getting under there with that seat installed so good call there.  

Welcome from San Diego. Congrats you found the place for all your 72 projects needs.
Also in San Diego, thanks!
 What part of town are you in?

What part of town are you in?
I'm down near Mission Valley. 

Wow, I had no idea there were so many international fans of these things. For some reason, I assumed this was purely a Merican thing. Very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe!
Thanks! BTW I just love your car's stance. That is definitely where I am heading with this one. It isn't stock or numbers matching, so going to go more modern with it. Larger wheels, lower profile tires, lowered all around etc. Very nice ride.

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe!
Thanks! BTW I just love your car's stance. That is definitely where I am heading with this one. It isn't stock or numbers matching, so going to go more modern with it. Larger wheels, lower profile tires, lowered all around etc. Very nice ride.
Thanks!!! :D

Back