71 H code value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newold

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Looking for opinions on a value

Appears all original in great shape

I know there is always the unknown once tore apart Not sure if I’m posting in the right place.

IMG_1196.JPGIMG_1205.JPGIMG_1165.JPGIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1171.JPGIMG_1176.JPGIMG_1212.JPGIMG_1192.JPGIMG_1179.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for opinions on a value

Appears all original in great shape

I know there is always the unknown once tore apart Not sure if I’m posting in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1203.JPGIMG_1205.JPGIMG_1187.JPGIMG_1212.JPGIMG_1201.JPGIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1176.JPGIMG_1196.JPGIMG_1166.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - does it run?  I wish mine would've been that nice when I found it (mine's pretty much the exact same car, except mine was loaded up with almost everything except for A/C and a fold-down rear seat - this one looks a little more basic, but very nice nonetheless).

If it runs and drives, I'd say it's a solid $10-12K car as it sits.  Tackle the surface rust, upholstery, repaint and clean everything up and you've got a $20-25K car.

Love to see some more pics. ::thumb::

Was told it just needs points and condenser I didn’t hear it run supposed to run and drive great other than that. Really think it just needs battery tray and found a hole in the radiator support. Have all original paperwork and am radio. IMG_1168.JPGIMG_1182.JPGIMG_1161.JPGIMG_1208.JPGIMG_1195.JPGIMG_1177.JPGIMG_1185.JPG

Be prepared to replace at least one rear quarter and possibly a fender if the shot of the tire and fender/quarter with cracked paint. I'll bet there's a fair amount of rust and bondo under that paint.

Yeah, more of the story unfolds.  All that rust in the right quarter drops the value of course.  If the left one is similar, then you're getting down into the $8-9K range, providing there's not even more to be found (which I'm guessing there will be even more found in the taillight panel, trunk drop-off areas).  It's good that the cowl seems to be in good shape, but the floor pans could still have issues.

I'll bet $7500 would be the absolute bottom line for the seller, and even then it'll be hard to get them down that low.

Good luck!

Its a 45 years old lady, If you buy to keep and enjoy it for many years, its a perfect candidate.

For the big work, looks like on exception of at least one quarter to replace, you can save it with bits of love (and ton of rust eaters)

You could be right on time with this one. As one or two years with no care in humidity would change the todo list quite a bit.

Being in europe, the price are different but from the offers I see in the states, I'd say 8k-10k, if the engine runs.

I shoot lower than Mr 4x4 because in this state, its not a car you will drive soon. It needs be handled right away.

Thanks for all the input. I’m certainly cautious because of the unknowns that always pop up. I’m sure it will need a quarter and battery tray at best. Still kinda surprised by the condition of the 45 year old lady. That photo of the rear quarter and battery tray were the worst I found. I was actually thinking $6500 myself, for the risk factor, which is below the asking price of 10k. Was hoping to get some reassurance like you’ve done. Thanks.

Hey - whaddaya mean by "bad color combo?!"  Ain't nuthin' wrong with Pewter and Black.  :mad:

lollerz

Hey - whaddaya mean by "bad color combo?!"  Ain't nuthin' wrong with Pewter and Black.  :mad:

lollerz
1R is medium green vinyl. I honestly have never seen that combo before, but it is legit. 

Let's be very realistic here, it's a base model Mach which will need a complete paint job and quarter (2?) replacement. Not a lot of options. Going to cost at least $20k to get it done. Fugly interior - green - ewwww

Keep working along that line with the seller.

If I could get that car for @ $7500, I think I would be okay with that. I'm cheap and remember when I could buy cars like this for well under $1000, but rusty crapboxes that need a total restoration are going for $5k now. I might stretch a little higher if the underside looks great.

I have posted before on values. It is driven by who is interested more than condition. If lots of people in your area want it the price goes up.

I bought several cars couple years ago and found some great deals. My driver 73 vert I take to local shows. 351 C H code switched to 4-V, with MSD, Air, PDB, PS, Tilt column, AM / FM Long console, Convenience group, Decor group, Sport wheel covers, gauges, automatic, California car with no rust holes anywhere. Original paint, original comfort weave interior. I only gave $7,200 for it. I came with new tires and aluminum wheels and the original steel wheels and new top in the box.

I also got a 72 Q code vert that had already had floors patched, quarters replaced and in primer. Had been dip stripped. Engine built on stand and C-6 built in shrink warp. $5,500. Has Ram air, gauges, tilt, convenience group, protection group, NASA hood, AM, 8 track, three spot rim blow, long console, Ginger comfort weave interior, Mag. 500 wheels, PDB, PS, competition suspension, detroit locker 31 spline rear. Trailer load of extra parts.

The 73 was on Ebay so not hiding for sure. The 72 was on cl for 9 months in Charlotte NC area again not hiding.

I also got an H code 73 vert Special Paint, white comfort weave interior, three spoke, console, guages, PS, PDB. It was on Ebay and got for $3,200.

I had to pay I think $1,100 for transport on the 73 California car but I went and got the other two.

I like the fact that this car has not had a shiny paint job to hide the rust that is there. You can see what you get. It is a very basic Mach 1. I myself would not got over $3,800 - $4,200 for it. I walked away from a sportsroof the other day for $3,000 was red and never painted and no rust holes.

Search Search Search. I had to quit looking to stop buying. Now I need to sell since no family is interested in them.

BTW when you go take cash in $20.00 looks like more and seller will know you are real. Also remember it will cost you the same to restore this car as one with more options.

The thing that will determine what you pay is how bad you want it. I walked away from the 72 Q code after offering him $5,000 and a couple weeks later he called and I got for $5,500. I had taken the cash with me the first time and put on the car and told him that was my offer and I would leave if it was not acceptable. I left.

Thanks Carolina and Mister. I’m not really in a hurry. I have a 71 now but after tearing it down realized the shell although can be repaired, was not cost affective to repair so I got burnt on that one so I’m reluctant to buy anything that’s complete without assuming it will need floors,trunk,quarters maybe cowl. I do have a great offer on a rolling shell from a member here who is a great guy, and I would love to jump on it. I’m just in the middle of moving wife’s new job and I work out of town. So the timing isn’t the best. I found this one and thought it was at least looking into. It seems to be more of a base model which is ok but has a lot of good parts I need anyway, doors,hood,grill,trunk,I’m not looking to restore to original but want it to look like I could show it when finished. I always have to restrain myself from buying every one I look at lol.

Just to be clear, I'm not downing that car at all. I think it would be a great car to restore. It appears very original, even down to the heatshield for the battery. It'd be a good one to option up a bit.

Is it a sin to take a mustang as original as this one and not restore it as is? Keeping the original color interior and exterior? As ugly as the interior is?

Is it a sin to take a mustang as original as this one and not restore it as is? Keeping the original color interior and exterior?  As ugly as the interior is?

I agree. With one exception. I don’t think the green interior is ugly. I like it.

Is it a sin to take a mustang as original as this one and not restore it as is? Keeping the original color interior and exterior?  As ugly as the interior is?

Medium green vinyl isn't really "ugly", you should behold the wonder that is 1973 Avacado.

Sometimes, the "ugly" interior colors are what make cars of this era unique, and erasing everything to the machismo of a black gut makes them all blend together. I can't tell you how many red with a black interior cars I've seen. However, can you tell me the last time you saw one with this combo? I never have and I've been into the 71-73s since the mid 80's.

Back