Introductions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6DUB606

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mach 1 with checkered history. Working on repairing
what has to be done, replacing what I can to make a nice car and living with the rest. Being on the other side of the world presents challenges but we will get there.
This to establish that I am now a registered user  ::thumb::

New member from Australia.

This is what I bought back in September 2017. - note incorrect spoiler fitment, painted side stripes etc.

Will post more pics of latest appearance once I prove that I am able to do so.

Watch this space.  

Continuing where I left off -  P O 's did me a few favors like Magnum 500 wheels and what has been described as a 7 1/2 out of 10 paint job. Not sure what the color is - may be Gold Glow or Medium Copper - or just something that got the painter's attention ?

They also left me some surprises - a very sad FMX that needed a serious cash injection and some dodgy floor repairs which needed attention.

My plan was to restore / reuse as much of the genuine parts as possible.  Repair / replace what needed to be done, use repop items when all else failed or these would do the job and simply live with the rest ( such as the blacked out hood section & locking pins )

Marti shows this as being " Blue Glow metallic " and ordered as a T 5 through the FORD retail sales division.  It has been used & abused over time but I see much worse on this forum.

This is the mixture of goodies up front.

And the interior with a steering wheel from a golf buggy ?  Some may like it - please don't be offended.

Note exhaust chopped off too short, rear valance off the mark, no infill piece at the bumper ends.

The engine is a 351 C transplant but runs fine.  Number on back of the block behind left side head reads 2A2030308.  Any ideas where this may have come from ?  They've dropped a 4 V intake with an old Autolite carb but I can live with these.

I took off all the basic bits, cleaned it up & re-sprayed closer to the correct color.

And this is progress at approx two months back.

Massive assistance from local Mustang owners and sources such as this forum.  I found out things I didn't know I didn't know ( like the lock washer behind the remote mirror control knob )

More up to date pictures shortly.

Hello 6DUB606, Welcome to the best site you could have possibly found for 71-73 info, answers to any and all questions, and comradely.

[ The engine is a 351 C transplant but runs fine.  Number on back of the block behind left side head reads 2A2030308.  Any ideas where this may have come from] ?

The number on the rear of the head normally consists of the model year, assembly plant and the last six digits of the serial number of the vehicle it was production installed in . In the case of your donor engine, the "2" indicates the model year 1972. "A" would indicate Atlanta which in 1972 was building Gran Torino's. The 72 Torino was a huge sales success and was built in great numbers at several plants, so the chance of having a Torino sourced engine is pretty good since they were built in far greater numbers than the Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
The number you had question on, L.H. rear of block just below head. That is where they stamp a partial VIN# and should match your VIN if it is the original engine. Your car looks to be a 73 and I think the number you posted might be 72? So your car had a DSO code of 90?
Yes - it's a '73 ( VIN 3F05H155490 ) DSO on Marti report is 92 = Export via Newark N J.  After that ? who knows.  Had a California plate from 2016 when I got it.  I see a follow up response to the engine question also.  Appreciate all this good info.

Hello 6DUB606, Welcome to the best site you could have possibly found for 71-73 info, answers to any and all questions, and comradely.

[ The engine is a 351 C transplant but runs fine.  Number on back of the block behind left side head reads 2A2030308.  Any ideas where this may have come from] ?

The number on the rear of the head normally consists of the model year, assembly plant and the last six digits of the serial number of the vehicle in was production installed in . In the case of your donor engine, the "2" indicates the model year 1972. "A" would indicate Atlanta which in 1972 was building Gran Torino's. The 72 Torino was a huge sales success and was built in great numbers at several plants, so the chance of having a Torino sourced engine is pretty good since they were built in far greater numbers than the Mustang.
Yup - that fits.  I colleague suggested maybe from Mercury Marauder or Cyclone so we're in the ballpark.  I like the Torino option too.

Thanks for this reply.

6DUB606, with the exception of the 03-04 Mercury Marauder which used the DOHC 4.6 from the 03-04 Mach 1's, the Marauders used FE or 385 series (429) power. There were three levels of the Cyclone in 1970-71 and only the Cyclone GT came with the H 351 standard. The 1972 Montego GT replaced the 70-71 Cyclone series and was equipped with a 302 as the base engine. There was a early but short lived Cyclone trim option on the 72 Montego (approximately only 30 were built)  but was restricted to the Q 351 and N 429. The "2" and "A" on your  engine pretty much locks it into a 1972 Atlanta Gran Torino or Montego. Sorry, wish it was a high performance engine like you would find in a Marauder or Cyclone!  But in your case the H means it is still a Cleveland engine and all of 'em can be made to run!!

Back