71 Mach1 rebuild

Yep did all the welding myself ( I have got better over the years ).

Where to start mmm, that's a difficult one, if I was looking to do a total restoration I would do what I did with this one, and tear it down to a bare shell ( filler hides horrors ) and that would give you good idea what you are looking at.

If you are looking at doing a light resto the area's I would look at first would be the structure ( sills, torque boxes, subframes, floors and suspension mounts ), next I would look at the main shell ( a post, b post, etc ) paying close attention to the scuttle area ( heater vents ) as this is well known for rotting out and to repair it properly you need to take the windshield out, this leads to the next area I would look at, the windshield surround as this rots out quite regularly ( front and back ).

Another area which can rot out is the bottom of the shock towers, any other panels ( front inner fenders, rear wings ) can be bought no problem just make sure that the stamping is correct before you cut out the old panel ( guess how I know this ).

When fitting the chrome trim back in the door gap make sure you seal it well, or you will get leaks, and when fitting the rear lights back in use sealant on them as this is another area that can leak, put waxoil in all the box sections and any other area's which could get damp.

I would also recommend fitting dynomat or a dynomat copy on the floors and in the doors as this will make the car a bit more comfortable. As for the wiring, what I did on my wiring was to put it back to stock, fit LED's on the internal lights, side lights and brake lights as this puts less stress on the wiring loom, put any extras on there own fuse box and loom. Another thing that I did was to replace the sealed beam headlamps with a set of range rover headlamps ( pattern on the reflector not the front ) and wired the lights so the switches only work relays and the main and dipped beams get power direct from the battery.

If you look though my previous posts you should see what I mean on some of these area's.

I hope this is of some help/information.

Karl.

P.S. If you do decide to go down the full resto route, be warned it can take a while, I have been working on mine for about 11 years.

Ha ha, you see, that's the trouble with forums,  they don't give you real time hours spent doing this work!

Thanks for the info.  Yes Light resto is what I am aiming for,but we know how that works out! lollerz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it starts with, I will just sort out that small gearbox problem and that small bit of rust around the rear lights :P .

Sometimes it starts when you are just trying to replace the carpet. :@

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes