72 Mach1 fold down seat issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engine302

Reaction score
My Car
65 Conv.
65 GT350 tribute
65 GT350R tribute
68 GT500 tribute (project)
69 Mach1 CobraJet
72 Mach1 351C

In my 72 Mach1 351c2V the fold down seat does not fit correctly to the inner plastic rear panels!

When the rear seat is fold down, on one side it does not touch the panel and falls between!

The width of the rear seat fold down (including moldings) is 41 inch!

The rear panels are from a 73 !

The photo attached is from another post, but there the seat fits perfect!

Can anybody measure the width of a 71-73 rear seat - so I’m sure to have not an earlier mustang fold down seat?

Where do I find the Ford ID number on the fold down seat?

What is the correct dimension between fold down molding and rear panel, in case the seat is fold down?

In my 72 Mach1 351c2V the fold down seat does not fit correctly to the inner plastic rear panels!

When the rear seat is fold down, on one side it does not touch the panel and falls between!

The width of the rear seat fold down (including moldings) is 41 inch!

The rear panels are from a 73 !

The photo attached is from another post, but there the seat fits perfect!

Can anybody measure the width of a 71-73 rear seat - so I’m sure to have not an earlier mustang fold down seat?

Where do I find the Ford ID number on the fold down seat?

What is the correct dimension between fold down molding and rear panel, in case the seat is fold down?

I will get you some measurements later today. Here is one picture of my 73 Mach 1 I bought new so I know it has not been changed.

how to delete my apple id

Txs - this would be great!

Yes, your fold down seat fits perfect!

As far as I am aware they are all the same, but obtain measurements to confirm. The seat has a fair amount of adjustment in the mounting barckets both on the seat and if I recall on the floor mount. The side panels can also be shimmed in or out on their mounting points with washers on the inside. One observation I have made is that the original mounting holes in the brackets to attach the side panels are never the same after you get done fitting new carpet, quarter sail panels, side trim, etc. You may need to place your panels and drill some new holes for the attaching screws and bolts to get things to align better.

As far as I am aware they are all the same, but obtain measurements to confirm.  The seat has a fair amount of adjustment in the mounting barckets both on the seat and if I recall on the floor mount.  The side panels can also be shimmed in or out on their mounting points with washers on the inside.  One observation I have made is that the original mounting holes in the brackets to attach the side panels are never the same after you get done fitting new carpet,  quarter sail panels, side trim, etc.  You may need to place your panels and drill some new holes for the attaching screws and bolts to get things to align better.
Thanks for the advice to adjust the panels! 

I have a 65 and 68 Fastback, and will check these fold down seats vs the 72!

Also waiting for the reference measurement from David or anybody who has access to a 71-73!

The width across the fold down is 41 1/4" on my car.

D
Thanks - this means I have to work on the alignment of the panels, as the width is the same as on mine!

Back