Electric servo pump conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hello

I got tired of the Borgeson pump so I thought why not Electric pump. I now have an 250 amp alternator so it should work.

Here is a Picture of a mock up, the brackets will be done properly later on.  Tomorrow Im going to the local shop for making new pressure hose from pump to borgeson steering box. 3 wires only on the pump, +12 volt , ground and ignition. It also is capable of supporting hydro boost.

More will follow.

Regards Rob

Here is a bracket that will hold the pump from the other side, underneath the pump has a rod coming out. So it just secures into a hole.

Fixed in 3 places, bottom and side, side. Normally its bottom and side. Better safe then...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple of questions,

Where (or what) did the pump come from?

Why did you decide to go this route, rather than converting to an electric power rack and pinion or an electric assist steering column?

That does help to reduce the clutter on the front of the engine.

Don C

The pump comes from Mercedes Benz A class 98-99 , it only costs 170 usd at the scrap yard.

This is much cheaper then the rack and pinion, I also have the Borgeson steering box that is only 2 years old.

Regards Rob

It should be well built, then. Good to know that there is another option.

How much power does it draw?
The fuse is 60 amp. So maybe 40-50 ? just guessing

Your guess is probably in the ball park, maximum load on a fuse (including start-up load) should be 80%, or less, of the fuse value.

One thing to remember on installations like this, size the wire to match the fuse value, not the load, you want to make sure it's the fuse or breaker that pops, not the wire burn up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back