Edelbrock or stock heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Other than weight savings is there a big benefit for going with edelbrock aluminum heads over refurbishing the stock ones?  If so what are they?  I plan on running a large roller cam I got from a forum member which will require adjustable valve train so there will be an added expense of drilling the stock heads for screw in studs and guide plates.

So what should I do? :D

Go with aluminum heads.....theoretically, you can run more compression with aluminum and the Edelbrock heads should flow better than refurbished factory heads.

Depends on what factory head flows we're talking about. 2V maybe, 4V no.

This debate has been going on for years, about stock versus modified stock, versus a variety of aftermarket heads. Verbal blows have been exchanged on the 351C.net forum over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what factory head flows we're talking about. 2V maybe, 4V no.

This debate has been going on for years, about stock versus modified stock, versus a variety of aftermarket heads. Verbal blows have been exchanged on the 351C Forum over it.
My stocks are 4v heads.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51616203-c00/overview/

These are a nice cylinder head that make some power but a step under CHI and AFR heads but better than edelbrocks.
These are better heads and almost $300 cheaper per head?

I have my stock heads in for service, as after 12 years of the car sitting in storage, I sprung a head gasket leak. Took the heads in to have them checked out, ugh. Needs new guides, four valves being replaced and milled.

Bottom line is it will be a few more weeks and it's a touch over $1,000

I have my stock heads in for service, as after 12 years of the car sitting in storage, I sprung a head gasket leak. Took the heads in to have them checked out, ugh. Needs new guides, four valves being replaced and milled.

Bottom line is it will be a few more weeks and it's a touch over $1,000
Then mine will be closer to $1500 once I factor in new springs, retainers, studs, guide plates and I would still have the heavy valves.  Those Trick Flows are looking more like the better option.

Wade,

I have the edelbrock heads on a 351c. I am very satisfied with how they perform. The only issue I had with them was after I ate a camshaft after 20K on the motor, I figured I would have the heads checked out while the motor was apart. My engine guy found three tight guides. I spoke with a few other people and found that is common, even right out of the box. Keep in mind my heads are about 10 years old, I am sure they corrected the problem, I hope......

Thanks, Jay

What stock heads do you have?

Got to think of this like baking a cake. You can buy the absolute best ingredients, but if you don’t get the ratios right the cake will fail.

Be sure to buy a combo that will net you a good dynamic compression ratio. Heads/camshaft/pistons/gasket are all parts that need to match up to make you a fine cake.

What stock heads do you have?

Got to think of this like baking a cake.  You can buy the absolute best ingredients, but if you don’t get the ratios right the cake will fail.

Be sure to buy a combo that will net you a good dynamic compression ratio.  Heads/camshaft/pistons/gasket are all parts that need to match up to make you a fine cake.
My current heads are the stock 4v's.  I already have the cam so I am going to build the motor around it.  The motor was rebuilt about 5 years ago but probably has less than 200 miles on it.  I wont know what pistons are in it till I open it up.  If stock pistons can I use them or do they need to be replaced?

Here is the cam.   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-32-602-8/overview/make/ford

I don’t know for sure but I think there are open and closed chamber versions of 4V heads.

Using the dynamic compression ratio calculator that Don has posted in other threads it seems like you need a static ratio in the 11-11.5:1 range to get you in the 8.2-8.6:1 dynamic range with that cam.

If your 4V heads are open chamber that might be reason enough to go with some aluminum closed chamber heads.

Your pistons and deck height will absolutely play into this. I wouldn’t purchase anything until you get the heads off to measure

Here's my take: there's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock 4V castings. You need to know how to make them work. A 351C does not respond like a 351W, or a 302, or a 350 chevy. If you want the "sexiness" of the aluminum head, I'd be more inclined to recommend AFD or CHI heads. The Aussies have been running the cleveland as their primary engine since 1972 and never stopped developing it.

I recommend a little reading from George Pence - who seriously knows his chit about 351C engines for the street.

351CJ specific info

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/4591090956

General 351C info

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/319104265

IMO, that cam will not work well in a 351C. The LSA is too narrrow, which ruins a 351C, You need a wider LSA. Check out this post

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/3971035156/p/1

Other than weight savings is there a big benefit for going with edelbrock aluminum heads over refurbishing the stock ones?  If so what are they?  I plan on running a large roller cam I got from a forum member which will require adjustable valve train so there will be an added expense of drilling the stock heads for screw in studs and guide plates.

So what should I do? :D
Ed 351c 2V heads and big roller cam don't go together, in my opinion. They flow slightly less than a stock 4V (big or small valve). The valve train that comes with the heads are not compatible with a roller cam. They are an aluminum replacement head. If I remember correctly the AFD and CHI have revised intake port locations and require the use of their intake manifold as well. Blue Thunder heads are race only. Scott Cook makes great parts but insanely expensive. As previously posted by Canted393, if you want aluminum heads the TFS may be the best choice.  Assuming the heads need everything in parts and machine work, you cold hit $1500.00 for the pair. Chuck

I don’t know for sure but I think there are open and closed chamber versions of 4V heads.
You are correct, I have a pair of '72 CJ (Q code) heads that came with a Q code 4-bolt block I recently acquired and have the same size valves as the closed chamber 4V heads. They are open chamber, just not quite as "open" as the 2V heads, 75.4cc instead of 78.2cc. 4V heads are 62.8cc.

So will the roller cam I have work with the trick flow heads.  The CHI and AFD's are quite a bit more money.  I think that for what I will have to do to my heads the aluminum's are the better option.

I have afd heads on my 408. I love them. The intake runners are different but you don't have to use AFD specific intake. To get the ports to match perfect I had my engine builder epoxy the intake runners of the intake to port match the AFD heads. I am running an EDELBROCK Torquer intake.

So will the roller cam I have work with the trick flow heads.  The CHI and AFD's are quite a bit more money.  I think that for what I will have to do to my heads the aluminum's are the better option.
TFS offers 3 spring and retainer choices as well as several runner and chamber volumes. Tell them what the cam is and they will match the springs to the cam. Chuck

Back