OEM 71-3 Mustang Radios

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 72 AM/FM does not have "MUSTANG" printed on the lens. Chuck
There are a lot of very similar radios out there that are incorrect for our cars.  My attempt here is for us to identify the right ones for the right applications for those who want their car's radio to be correct.  If anyone just wants to get 'close' and are fully content with just having the similar look - then all good for them.  But when I see someone paying $500 for a radio they think is correct for their car because the buyers and sellers have NO CLUE I get frustrated.  

Some related info:  Back when our cars were ordered, many dealers would intentionally order cars with no radio just to offer aftermarket radios they could mark-up and sell at the dealerships.  BTW this is different from a RADIO DELETE ordering option.  If your invoice and Marti shows no radio reference at all, this was the case.  My Boss 351 was delivered to dealer that way.  I do think these cars got the radio block-off plates just as radio delete cars did.  I do wonder if these cars got an antenna in the trunk like cars that came with radios did? 

1971-1973 Mustang radio block off plate.JPG

OK now back to identifying radios!!!

For basics,  1971-1973 Mustang radios only came in three varieties.  

AM

AM-FM

AM-8-track

Contrary to many stories. for our years there were NO AM-FM 8-tracks offered. 

And the only speaker available was a single upper dash speaker with AM.  I believe both AM-FM and AM-8 track offerings received door speakers.  From my recollection, no rear speakers were offered on 1971-1973 Mustangs.  

So the first pic is the 1971 AM.  Are the 72 and 73's the same?

The second pic is the 1972 - only? AM-FM with MUSTANG on faceplate?   So did any of the 71-3 AM-FM's get the little chrome balance slider at the bottom?  If so which ones?

And the third pic is the AM-8 track for all 71-73 Mustangs?

I keep seeing info that if you had factory AC, your radio was a smaller size?? -For all radios or just some types? How to tell difference or how much smaller?  

Which radio knobs are correct for our cars?  There are some different ones out there some are longer than others, then some have black stems.  

I know many could care less about this stuff.  And if that is you - the express line moves you to the next thread.  ::)

But for those curious or wanting to know - stay tuned!!! Thanks ahead for Chuck and others willing to help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

The one I have is for a 1972 with air con and as you can see it is a Philco

Not sure if it works yet but if you have trouble finding one you can have this one just need to pay postage

PM me if interested
I think this one is out of another Ford model the slide bar under the buttons adjusts the front to rear balance and Mustang never had a rear speaker option. I have one of these in one of my cars has different Ford number than Mustang also. Since the PO of my car had cut the side rear trim panels and put rear speakers in I left them to fill the holes. You also need the 5 pin connection to hook up front door and rear speakers if you use it. Most will never know it is not correct. The little bracket on the top of the radio that slides over a piece of metal in the dash is always missing seems. Radio will bounce and can cause rattle or squeak if you do not have one.

From another thread:

"Radio changed all 3 years. the radio face plate was also slightly changed, font differences."

I sure would like to know what they are!

Ray

Looks like I need this one for my Grande...

D2ZA-18806-A

There is a D2ZA-18806 listed.. but I'm assuming the (-A) indicates A/C car

Hi

You are smart to match the years, and correct MANY buy and then find it is wrong (considering the money they pay) !!

In the words of Forest Gump " I may not be a smart man, but I do know which is a 1971 Mustang Radio" (or not)

You are correct on your break down for speakers etc etc. 1971 IS HARD to have it all correct. The head has Mustang in the face for the AM and the AM/FM .....AM 8 track is like C9ZX last photo. The speaker grills are unique to 1971 and were also "painted WHITE" for use on the 72 Sprints.

Mark

P.S. Now take on the Antenna mask!!! Seems everyone says that 71 got the telescopic with the "whip" style not used til later cars. I'm still not sure, so I have BOTH in the trunk!

Ray,

Another thing related to the radio that should be noted here. The bezel, die cast chrome and black surround around the radio is different when you got AM / 8 Track. The rectangle hole is larger. A regular one can be cut out and used if you look on the back side you can see on the upper edge where a larger opening goes to.

None of the Mustangs had the lower slide bar just cars with rear speakers like Thunderbird. The balance for front speakers is the outside nob on the tuner if I remember correct. The slide is for balance on the rear speakers so would have never been on Mustang. The one in my pictures is not a Mustang radio but from Big Ford line up.

Funny thing is the radio block off plate sells for more than a radio. Very difficult to find. They got tossed when the radio was installed. One of my cars is a one of one because of the radio Delete, lol. Marti could not find anything else.

A little something to add to this thread...especially about the fader slide underneath...

I have an am/fm stereo radio with the following numbers on it:

The part number is: D3ZA 19A241 125

Plus some others: 3FBZ.  AE

There is another number: 051073

There is no name on the faceplate, just numbers.

As far as I can tell, if what has been said in this thread is true, Mustangs did not come with rear speakers, therefore, no fader slide, right? Davids radio has a five wire connector just for speakers (four wires going out and one ground coming back). The other two wire connector is power? That would make for a total of 7 wires, right? All that makes sense...except that my am/fm stereo with a 73 Mustang part number on it has two connectors and 5 wires total. Granted my wires were cut and spliced into incorrect plugs (presumably to fit a different car), but all wires are accounted for, there are no extra cut wires. That would mean that even cars with just two front door speakers had the slider bar.

Pics of mine. You can see the splices, but 5 wires (ignoring the two wires that connect solely to the radio).0327211342.thumb.jpg.f8deac77fd1eb881147f4ab7bcb416f9.jpg

0327211341.thumb.jpg.e34a675933101f5b4a62f63583c7bc3b.jpg

0327211339.thumb.jpg.64d3fca8543d02049e83fb5f36ed0635.jpg

0327211342a.thumb.jpg.fccf411fb2688008d8210bf463203d88.jpg

To further make my case, here are pics from West Coast Cougars selling a 73 Mustang/Cougar radio that also show the slider bar and 5 wires (but with the correct connectors still attached):

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/12728-Radio-AM-FM-Stereo-Functional-Used-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

1478554478_m.jpg

1478554481_f.jpg

1478554479_m.jpg

1478554480_m.jpg

1478554482_i.jpg

Back