sticky tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Ok,

I finally have my 408 C broke in (fairly mild build iron heads) and I am looking for some better rear tires than the 255/60 BFG,s that I currently have.

Running a toploader with 3.50 gearset.

As it stands right now, first gear is just about useless and 2nd is a total burnfest.

The car does go somewhat straight with no wheel hop running 15x 8 on the rear.

currently looking at Mickey Thompson sportsman s/t 255/60 r15 , 275/60r15 or Nitto

NT555r in a 275/60r 15.

kind of understanding that I will need stronger rear axles and possibly big block input shaft set up.

also using Tinman subframe connectors and underride traction bars.

would like to hear from any who have used these tires and their experiences and comments.

Boilermaster

The Mickey's are essentially rebranded Cooper Cobras, an all season street tire. They'll be no better than your BFGs other than they are newer.

I'd personally go with the Nittos, as they are a drag radial. Forget about wet weather driving though.

You only need stronger components if you can get traction. A friend has a 351 Clevor in his '68. He's managed to twist the splines on both the 28 spline axles and the 10 spline small block input.

He's upgraded the rear to 31 spline and is working on a hemi input conversion for the toploader. IIRC, it was Dan Williams that recommended the Hemi input. He has a pretty high dollar clutch and he'd be able to get his disc resplined to the hemi input, but not the big block toploader.

Hemikiller,

Will have to read up on the Hemi conversion, that will be all new to me.

Looks like clutch release lever is build your own regardless.

None the less good to know about the Mickeys though.

I tend to shy away from the rain, not so much because of the highways, but because I live on a gravel road.

Would like to hear from someone who has Nitto's.

Boilermaster

Hemikiller,

Will have to read up on the Hemi conversion, that will be all new to me.

Looks like clutch release lever is build your own regardless.

None the less good to know about the Mickeys though.

I tend to shy away from the rain, not so much because of the highways, but because I live on a gravel road.

Would like to hear from someone who has Nitto's.

Boilermaster
I am running the 555's in 17 & 18 combination. They seem to be a good dry weather tire, as far as wet weather they do fine as long as you try to use a little common sense. I know these days that's kind of rare. If you drive you car any you will eventually get caught in the rain and you should not have any issues  trying to get home or wherever you are going. That being said no street sized tire is going to hook up if you just drop the hammer on it, but these work well.

I would also suggest adding drive shaft loop if you do not have. Front and back is not a bad idea. I use to break the joints with a stock engine so I know you will some day and if it is the front you can have a really bad ride.

If you want to keep track on your axles take the out and wash off and tape up and paint a white line down the length. They usually break at the splines but not always.

I turned down a 31 spline complete rear out of a 429 car $150 because I could not remember how the end of the axle looked. Did not have time to pull axle and was snowing also and I was 300 miles from home. After I got home I checked and it was and called and it was gone, lol.

I have a friend that is taking a 35 spline Ford 9" out of his GTO going with a different gear set. Will be just the carrier if you are interested I will find out cost.

Ok,

I finally have my 408 C broke in (fairly mild build iron heads) and I am looking for some better rear tires than the 255/60 BFG,s that I currently have.

As it stands right now, first gear is just about useless and 2nd is a total burnfest.

currently looking at Mickey Thompson sportsman s/t 255/60 r15 , 275/60r15 or Nitto

NT555r in a 275/60r 15.

kind of understanding that I will need stronger rear axles and possibly big block input shaft set up.

would like to hear from any who have used these tires and their experiences and comments.

Boilermaster
Hi! Which one did you choose? Dou you have pics!? What tires do you have in front!? Looking for a similar setup. Tnks!

I have 17" NittoR's on my vert with a 460. I don't drag race but in regular driving there is no perceptible traction difference between them and the Goodyear's I had on before. I can smoke the tires at will. I don't drive the car in the rain so can't comment on wet performance.

I have a similar engine setup as yours. I am in the process of upgrading to a Tracloc with 3.5 gears and 31 spline shaft from Strange. Their shaft include the sealed bearings. Good advice on the driveshaft loop. I am working on one as well. My driveshaft has 1350 ujoints for strength. For traction i am going with the Maier 4.5 leaf springs and Bilstein shocks. No traction bars supposedly needed with his setup but pricey. For tires I have 295 BFG. I will be reporting once winterland is gone and I can test the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok,

NT555r in a 275/60r 15.

Boilermaster
Hi! Which one did you choose? Dou you have pics!? What tires do you have in front!? Looking for a similar setup. Tnks!                                                                                                  
RCH71, I chose the 275/60r15 nitto's .They hook really good and just got done installing the 31 spline axles , it will be another 3 months before I can drive my car

Boilermaster

Back