Cobra brakes upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi

Im doing the Cobra brake upgrades, is it nessecary to use Hydroboost ? or will the standard vacuumbooster be enough to push the calipers ?

Regards Rob

Rob, I assume your referring to the 93-2004 Mustang Cobra brakes. The hydroboost came into play on those models in 96 when the 4.6 DOHC engine was installed and clearance became an issue with the huge heads. The 93-95 Cobra's with the 5.0 ran the typical master cylinder/booster set up. I have 04 Cobra brakes on my 85 GT with the OE master cylinder and booster and have had no issues at all. There was a larger booster for the 93-95 Cobra's but sold the one I had to a friend who restores Fox Mustangs after I discovered my brakes worked fine without it.

If you have something really nasty under the hood resulting in some low vacuum, then you would need to use a hydoboost or a vacuum motor.

You will also need to run at least a 17" rim for clearance on the much larger  calipers.   

Good luck on your project!     :)

Rob, I assume your referring to the 93-2004 Mustang Cobra brakes. The hydroboost came into play on those models in 96 when the 4.6 DOHC engine was installed and clearance became an issue with the huge heads. The 93-95 Cobra's with the 5.0 ran the typical master cylinder/booster set up. I have 04 Cobra brakes on my 85 GT with the OE master cylinder and booster and have had no issues at all. There was a larger booster for the 93-95 Cobra's but sold the one I had to a friend who restores Fox Mustangs after I discovered my brakes worked fine without it.

If you have something really nasty under the hood resulting in some low vacuum, then you would need to use a hydoboost or a vacuum motor.

You will also need to run at least a 17" rim for clearance on the much larger  calipers.   

Good luck on your project!     :)
Thanks

The brakes are from a 04 , 351c but I Think there is enough vacuum. 17" rims is already on :)

Regards Rob

Just my opinion. Hook up a vacuum gauge at idle and see what you have. I'm not sure I would trust my brakes (IE my life) to "I think there is enough vacuum."

Just my opinion. Hook up a vacuum gauge at idle and see what you have. I'm not sure I would trust my brakes (IE my life) to "I think there is enough vacuum."
Vacuum gauge is already hooked on and I belive I can see manifold pressure in the Sniper EFI Handheld. How much should I aim for to be on the safe side ? on idle I have about 65 kpa thats about 19inHg , I also have a vacuum canister.

WOW! 19 in at idle? That is awesome and should be plenty. I was getting around 12-13 at idle. In the process of swapping out the intake, carb, and distributor right now. We will see what I have when done.

I'll be doing the same on my 73 over the winter using mustang Steve brackets. Any pros, cons, advice or how to's you ran into? Managed to find rebuilt cobra labeled calipers.

Hi

Im waiting for the last parts from Mustang Steve. Im also putting discbrakes in the rear. Il post some as I get started.

Regards Rob

The mustang Steve kit uses drum spindles and hubs. What cars interchange with the mustang or other years that may be easier to find? Torino, fairlanes, 69-70 mustangs?

I notched my Mustang Steve brackets to allow the bracket to slide over the axle. Keeps you from having to press the bearings off. You do have to cut the retainer plate off this way, but it is thin and easy to cut.
Great Thanks :)

Back