Wire splices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I just resolved an issue with my brake lights. I was wondering what was the best type of connector to use when splicing wires together. The pervious owner had used the type in the photo below. They are junk. I replace them with the crimped barrel type. Is there a better type to use than those ?

IMG_0670 connetor.jpg

Well, the very best to use are ones with a sealant adhesive in them.  The ones showed in the picture are the worst for any type of moisture, but very popular in the trailer industry for a quick  splice.

My top choice for a permanent connection is soldering the wires together and covering with a sealant filled heat shrink tubing.  Looks clean and will not take in moisture.  Of course soldering the wires is sometimes a chore.  BE SURE to slip the shrink tubing on before soldering.

The second best are the sealant filled crimp on connectors.  Similar to above, but less skill intensive.  I do believe you heat seal those after crimping too.

https://www.amazon.com/Shrink-Solder-Sleeve-Crimpless-Connectors/dp/B01M1032A7

Thomas & Betts brand “Sta-kon”

Use a proper crimper, like a Thomas & Betts ERG4002

Use bare connectors, then insulate with quality heat shrink or tape. The crimping tool costs a fortune but you might be able to find a used one. I have crimped tens of thousands of sta-kon terminals and they really are the best.

"My top choice for a permanent connection is soldering the wires together and covering with a sealant filled heat shrink tubing.  Looks clean and will not take in moisture.  Of course soldering the wires is sometimes a chore.  BE SURE to slip the shrink tubing on before soldering."

+1

Good quality insulated crimp connections. Good quality crimpers, and not the $5 narrow department store crimpers that break through the insulation. Ratcheting adjustable crimpers with interchangeable dies are nice, that way you don't have to have several different crimping tools, I think I have 4 different types before I wised up. The adjustable type are nice, so you don't over-crimp.

For critical or connections that are exposed to weather I used bare barrel crimps, soldered, then weatherproof heat shrink tubing. I also use self-fusing silicon tape for weird shaped connections and for when I realize that I soldered a connection and forgot to put the heat shrink on first. Somebody mentioned using liquid tape, good idea, I also have a can on my shelf, especially good if you make a "T" connection where heat shrink won't fit, liquid tape followed by self-fusing silicon tape. I have used the crimp connectors that have the heat shrink coated insulation, but you have to be careful you don't break the insulation when crimping. I prefer bare barrels with heat shrink over them. With bare barrels you reduce the size of the connection.

Stagger the connections if you want to use wire loom over them, or tape the wires together, so you don't wind up with a big glob of wires in one spot.

When I make my own battery cables I always solder the terminals and battery clamps, something learned long ago when making power supplies for radio systems on remote mountain tops. I don't like using flame for soldering, as it can embrittle wire and connectors, but with large cable it's the only practical way.

Back in my flying days we had a Cessna 172 that kept losing the landing light, which was mounted at the bottom front of the cowling, under the propeller. The vibrations would break off the connection. The A&E mechanic would solder the connector on (good), but used a propane torch (not good) because it was much faster than a soldering iron, but made the wire and connector brittle. Not fun when you come in for a landing at night without a landing light, especially at an unfamiliar landing strip.

[ Good quality crimpers, and not the $5 narrow department store crimpers that break through the insulation. ]

+1 on this.

I'd had a modern pro wire stripper to the list. Spoiled myself with a quality one few years back. Made me realise how neanderthaler my methods to strip were before.

This thing is amazing.

Bah! If I need a splice, I send it off to Midlife to take care of it. No muss, no fuss except I have to hear him yell "get off my damn lawn, you punk!".

Back