Need Help Brakes are acting up!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, 

I just drove my ‘66 about 40miles down the road, and just before I was getting ready to arrive at my destination my brake pedal was making me push all the way down (almost like the air affect) and the front brakes are squeling now a little. Just started doing the is and no, I haven’t touched the brakes at all. Any suggestions as what it could be???

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with: Check fluid level (if it's down it went somewhere out of the system). Check all brake hoses (ballooning). Then check booster seal at MC (if you have a booster).

You probably blew one side of the master cylinder. Consider yourself lucky it was a 66. 65 only had single action master cylinder. Mine blew and I almost ate a school bus. Crammed it in second gear and pull emergency brake up and hit the ditch.

Look at wheel cylinders and see if any leaking first but probably rust in the master cylinder. I suggest you keep your original and get it rebuilt. Parts house replacement probably not same.

If you take it apart you can rebuild yourself but if too rusty inside, deep pits, it will need to be sent off and get bronze sleeve installed. You can use a brake hone and remove some material.

Most people do not do it but you should change your brake fluid it absorbs water unless it is the silicone base and causes rust in the master cyl., lines and wheel cylinders or calipers.

Thanks guys for the replies... I took it into a shop yesterday because I was out of town when it happened, and the rear was leaking a lot on drivers side. Something definitely gave out and came apart. It will be a few days and definitely a few bills later but will have to go back to get her mid week.

Thanks guys for the replies... I took it into a shop yesterday because I was out of town when it happened, and the rear was leaking a lot on drivers side. Something definitely gave out and came apart. It will be a few days and definitely a few bills later but will have to go back to get her mid week.
Should not be big bill. If one blew the wheel cylinder would have both rears replaced. If shoes got soaked they need to go also.

Back