Who has installed thier own seat upholstery?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I am going to go with the TMI upgraded bolster kit and seat foam.  I've done the job before on a 71 Corvette but that was a long time ago.  How many of you have do your own seat skin installs?  Tips\tricks?  Pics?

Also who has the TMI upgraded kits with the bolstered sides?  Do you like them?

If you are a big guy at all, you don't want the bolstered kit. I just put in new foam and now my seats are much taller!! As far as tips, it's pretty straight forward, just take your time. You may have to re-use the vertical bars for the seat back, they are much thicker than just listing rods. Also in our seats there is a thick cloth thing that pulls in the head rest were the chrome button goes. make sure to re-use or re-make one of these pieces, it's critical to pulling in that part. Lots of hog rings. Also you might want to straighten out the metal of the seat frames too. My drivers side was crooked, I tried to straighten it the best I could, but it still a little off. You will also probably find that the seat bottom pans are splitting in the back corners (the part that supports the backrest), I mean the metal pan part. Find a good welder to fix these. You don't want these to tear again or your seats will be really uncomfortable, and you will have to go back in. I even added extra bracing in the metal to make my seats more rigid. And finally wrap the outer wire of the 2 pieces with cloth before installing foam so it doesn't cut into the foam. Good luck!! I actually had fun with this part of my car project!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to have a sturdy work bench and cover it with carpet to go easy on the seat covers. Watch some videos on youtube there are some doing mustangs not our year but close to the same. The hog ring pliers are a must, no other way to hold and crimp them.

You might find rusty springs and frame and need to blast them and repaint.

Did you find seat frames? I went and looked at two parts cars the other day in Asheville. A coupe and a vert. I probably have seat frames but I do not know about the tracks which I think are different between vert and Mach 1.

If you are a big guy at all, you don't want the bolstered kit. I just put in new foam and now my seats are much taller!!
Good info!!  I am 6'4""250!!!

You need to have a sturdy work bench and cover it with carpet to go easy on the seat covers. Watch some videos on youtube there are some doing mustangs not our year but close to the same. The hog ring pliers are a must, no other way to hold and crimp them.

You might find rusty springs and frame and need to blast them and repaint.

Did you find seat frames? I went and looked at two parts cars the other day in Asheville. A coupe and a vert. I probably have seat frames but I do not know about the tracks which I think are different between vert and Mach 1.
David,  PM sent.  I just need a drivers side seat and I have the tracks.  The drivers side pan was rotted out on mine.

I'm not sure which kit you're talking about, but I went with the Sport Seat II kit from TMI (foam and upholstery - sold separately).  I'm 6'5" and 300-ish, and have no issues with the extra bolstering provided by the Sport Seat II set.

As for tips/tricks:

• Get more hog rings than you think you'll need
  • Get the 'bent' hog ring pliers
  • Use really thick wire hangers as listing rods if some of yours are damaged (they work in a pinch)
  • Use plastic bags on the foam to help the upholstery slide better
  • Place the cover(s) in the sun before installing them (they'll be a bit more pliable)

Mine turned out decent enough - the creases relaxed after a bit (especially with my chunky ass getting in and out of the car)

My driver seat - frame was rotted out, so I used another from a parts car:

attachment.php

Here's how they came out - like I said, the creased relaxed a bit after some more tugging, time in the sun, and actual use:

attachment.php

You can see how much thicker the Sport Seat IIs are than the stock 'flat' buckets.

I also didn't reinstall the seat 'bumpers' (plastic thingies that buffer the seat back against the seat bottom), which made them lay back a bit more, so I have just enough headroom.  If the seats fail for whatever reason, I'll order a set of the TMI Precision Seats with the same upholstery already installed.

I have a whole new appreciation for those who do upholstery, that's for sure.

+1 on everything eric said. Also while you put plastic bags over the foam to help it slide, you can throw a little baby powder in there too. Helps slide even easier. If your interior is completely out you may consider moving the driver side seat rider back a few inches for more leg room. I moved mine back and cut the height of it down a bit for more headroom.

I brought my foam and new covers to a local upholstery shop.  They did the fronts and the back, no wrinkles, nice and even and I was super happy to pay $400 for the service and not have to touch one hog ring!

For the plastic bags you mean garbage bags over the frame and foam and then slide the covers over. The bags actually stay inside the seat afterwards right? I know probably a dumb question..

Eric,

Did you buy from TMI or another vendor that sales their stuff? I looked on TMI's site and did not see a sport II. Your seats look really good.

For the plastic bags you mean garbage bags over the frame and foam and then slide the covers over.  The bags actually stay inside the seat afterwards right?  I know probably a dumb question..

Eric,

Did you buy from TMI or another vendor that sales their stuff?  I looked on TMI's site and did not see a sport II.  Your seats look really good.
I used grocery bags, from walmart or giant eagle. Slide one over the top by the headrest and a little baby powder on the backside of the cover. Then start sliding it over. The bag and powder help keep the cover from grabbing the new foam. The bag may stay in there or you might be able to get it out. I believe I left one in there when I did mine. Same with seat bottom. Slide bag over, powder, repeat!

I agree with Kcmash on getting a professional to install the seat covers. I bought new foam and was charged $300.00 to install both fronts and rear. It always shows, in my opinion when someone who doesn’t have the correct tools, ie steamer to get all the wrinkles and creases out. I would have hated to not spend the $300.00 and have to look at a job that wasn’t 100% every time I went to get into the car........ Money well spent !!!!

Thanks,

Jay

+1 on everything eric said. Also while you put plastic bags over the foam to help it slide, you can throw a little baby powder in there too. Helps slide even easier. If your interior is completely out you may consider moving the driver side seat rider back a few inches for more leg room. I moved mine back and cut the height of it down a bit for more headroom.
I moved my aftermarket platforms back a few inches as well and had to cut them down a bit, too.  The new position of the platforms completely messed up the molded properties of my jute-backed ACC molded cut-pile carpet kit, though.  Nothing a heat gun and some time for the carpet to relax didn't fix, though. ;)

For the plastic bags you mean garbage bags over the frame and foam and then slide the covers over.  The bags actually stay inside the seat afterwards right?  I know probably a dumb question..

Eric,

Did you buy from TMI or another vendor that sales their stuff?  I looked on TMI's site and did not see a sport II.  Your seats look really good.
I bought my stuff through CJ Pony Parts - everything.  TMI covers & foams (Sport Seat II and stock rear seat), burlap, buttons, hog rings, pliers, ACC cut-pile carpet I'd mentioned, etc.  But that was back in early 2014.  I'm guessing the Sport Seat II wasn't a best seller or something, and I got lucky getting them when I could.

You might check with Mustangs Unlimited to see if they have anything left in stock.  I just checked CJPP and they got nuthin'.  Mustangs Unlimited seems to have a fairly large selection of TMI products.  http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Interior/Upholstery/Seat-Upholstery/?page_no=1&fq=ATR_Year%3a1971#page_no=1&fq=ATR_Year%3a1971&page_length=500

Here's another shot of mine shortly after the seats were installed.  Still working out the creases at that point - big thing to do is to make sure those things are worked out as quickly as possible.  They're still there somewhat even today, but not nearly as bad... which, I kind of really don't care - I'm still just happy the car's shiny, running, and on the road after everything I went through getting it there.

attachment.php

Lots of repop inventory in there. ;)

Did it once and will not do it again. Good learning experience though.

Todays foam is thicker and denser, it is a tight fit. Letting the fabric

warm in the sun is a good idea as posted. Also, keep a bottle of whiskey

nearby 'cuz your going to need it. That was advice from a friend who

does Concours restorations on these Mustangs.

mike

I've never done mustang seats, but have done 10 or so sets of older corvette seats. Along with the hog rings I've used heavy DuPont stren fishing line to to pull wrinkles tight here and there. Which worked very well. I'm also thinking about the tmi stuff. So any feedback on them is appreciated

I used tmi foam and upholstery front and back. I did the entire interior myself in my garage. It was tough but nothing was impossible. I used the shopping bag method over the headrests and they went on fairly easy. lOTS of stretching. I almost thought my fingers were gonna bleed. Whatever you do, before you reassemble the seats, be sure to weld up the corners of the bottom seat frame. They are notorious for cracking and if not fixed, one seat will look reclined and the other not. Quite frankly looks like shit when neither seat is in line with the other once installed in the car.

I used tmi foam and upholstery front and back. I did the entire interior myself in my garage. It was tough but nothing was impossible. I used the shopping bag method over the headrests and they went on fairly easy. lOTS of stretching. I almost thought my fingers were gonna bleed. Whatever you do, before you reassemble the seats, be sure to weld up the corners of the bottom seat frame. They are notorious for cracking and if not fixed, one seat will look reclined and the other not. Quite frankly looks like shit when neither seat is in line with the other once installed in the car.

I really like that white I just don't know if I could keep it clean!!!  White is the original interior color of mine.

TMI new foam, kinda hard to stretch but leave it out in the sun before you star

Back