Mach1 - interior upper rear panel to rear window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engine302

Reaction score
My Car
65 Conv.
65 GT350 tribute
65 GT350R tribute
68 GT500 tribute (project)
69 Mach1 CobraJet
72 Mach1 351C

who can give me directions for installation of these upper inner rear panels?

How these are fixed in the upper edge to the window ? There is no molding to cover, correct? No wholes to fix with screws?

Mine are over bent ! Are these are available to buy somewhere?

I checked the forum but did not find any post on this topic?!

Any guidance is welcome!

Headliner goes in first. These go over the lower edge of the headliner and wrap around the rear window pinch weld and the retainer by the qtr window, which I don't see in your picture. There's also a door panel style clip that goes into that hoel int he sail panel.

Don't want to hijack this post but I have a question about 1 of the pictures in that article.  Does the rear glass have to come out in order to install the headliner????

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/8671379+w650+h650+cr1+st0/p104035_image_large.jpg
Pretty sure it does. Probably needs to come out anyway to fix any rust issues. They used a sucky foam tape to seal up which should be replaced with regular sealer used with rubber gasket install. New gasket also.
Guess I will be driving it to the upholstery shop with no back window.  I'm not going to do the headliner myself.

SC,

Yes the rear window has to be removed to install the headliner.

Thanks, Jay
Thanks Jay.  What about the front window?  Pretty sure I can drive the car to the interior shop with no back window installed but dot think I can get away with no front window.... lollerz

Wade

SC,

In my installation, I removed both the front and rear windshields. The headliner in both the front and rear window areas is folded over the edges of the seating surfaces of the windshields. I believe this is very important to keep the headliner tight front and back. I’m not saying it’s completely necessary, but in my findings, it is best.  I have attached a few photos from my installation. Hope it helps.......

Thanks, Jay

It's easier with the windscreen out, but can be done with it in. The upholstery shop could probably R&R the rear window for you.
If they can R&R the rear window I will let them do it!  The headliner is not something I want to tackle myself.

Engine302,

Sorry for hijacking your post.

I would also recommend both front and rear glass be removed. It aids in the stretching for installation and long term quality and fit. Without overlapping the window flange with time it will relax and become very loose lengthwise in the car. I would talk to your upholstery person. Maybe remove yourself and have the car flatbed towed to his shop. Have a mobile glass installer come in and install after headliner is in place.

That's pretty much how I did mine.  I'd had my glass out for years getting everything repaired - windshield got destroyed as I removed it, though.  As I was putting the interior back in, I did the headliner first, then had Safe-Lite bring a new windshield to install, and the guy wound up helping me pop-in the rear glass afterward (last job of the day, so I hooked him up with a couple beers and really good tip since he basically did the rear glass for 'free').

Back