Steel coupler intead of hardy disc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi

Is it better to use a steel coupler instead ot the original ?  Or will vibrations travel upto the steeringwheel ? There is Always a Little slack inte theese even if they are new.

Regards Rob

There should not be any slack when new. If you do not have this the variations of angle between the column and the box have no way of aligning. Yes they make universal joints of steel but how do you connect to stock column and box?

I put new on my 73 vert and feel no slack. It is a tilt column.

I agree with David, if you have a good quality rag joint you shouldn't have any play. If you do it is a loose connection, or a problem in the steering column, or in the steering box.

Hello

Okay, thanks. The ragjoint is rather new, and so is the Borgeson steering box. Could be some Little play in the box that I feel.

There are times when you need a helper, or a video camera, to watch the joint and box when the steering wheel is moved. I have heard that there are rag joints that are not reinforced with multiple layers of fabric, but just solid flexible material, I don't know if they allow movement in them or not.

People that just "replace" factory parts with WHAT IS OUT THERE will experience the effect ! in this case, the $9.99 piece of RUBBER (in the HELPS isle) is just that. Rubber, not a reinforced rag joint as many cars used. SOME in fact used polyurethane joints for a "better feel" and when replaced with just rubber you CAN FEEL (in that case worse) the difference

The only NON Rubber option is a polyurethane replacement NPD offers for the BOSS 302. Counter men don't really know about it.....and the only way I know to buy them is by price (its the one that sells for over $25). Energy Suspensions USED to offer one, but I think CA law /liability issue eliminated them from the line. (Only bought one as they were RED)

Mark

P.S. The Boss 302 urerthane is a direct replacement for an early Mustang. When you use with a the late model , you have to ream the hole to fit to of the pins!

People that just "replace" factory parts with WHAT IS OUT THERE will experience the effect ! in this case, the $9.99 piece of RUBBER (in the HELPS isle) is just that. Rubber, not a reinforced rag joint as many cars used. SOME in fact used polyurethane joints for a "better feel" and when replaced with just rubber you CAN FEEL (in that case worse) the difference

The only NON Rubber option is a polyurethane replacement NPD offers for the BOSS 302. Counter men don't really know about it.....and the only way I know to buy them is by price (its the one that sells for over $25). Energy Suspensions USED to offer one, but I think CA law /liability issue eliminated them from the line. (Only bought one as they were RED)

Mark

P.S. The Boss 302 urerthane is a direct replacement for an early Mustang. When you use with a the late model , you have to ream the hole to fit to of the pins!
great info thanks :)

Back