Backup Camera

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewBeng

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1972 Mach 1
Hello everybody, I have a 1971 Mach 1 with louvers and I’m considering getting a backup camera, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I know I can get flamed for having a backup camera on a classic, but better safe than sorry haha.

AB

Someone did that and posted a thread here...
Thanks for letting me know luxstang, I searched the threads and didn’t see anything. Maybe I didn’t do a good enough job searching. lollerz

I put a back up camera on mine as well, but it did stop working about two years ago and now I have a lot more confidence backing the car these days so I haven't bothered to replace it yet.

The best thing I ever did though was add a camera that looked out into the rear passenger side blind spot. I literally look at it every time that I change lanes to the right and it's been invaluable for spotting cars hiding behind the massive rear roof pillar. I used a spy camera rather than a reversing camera though because the spy cameras aren't wide angle vision. Before this I had tried the wide angle camera and it was useless because it made the cars on the screen too small to see.

cam1.jpg

cam_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember which thread it was, but I have a Pyle Audio camera and monitor set-up in mine.

The camera is part of the rear license plate frame, and the monitor is a full width rear view mirror 'clip-on' unit.  rather than leave it clipped onto the mirror all the time, I picked up a GPS Tank Bag mounting bracket from Twisted Throttle.com to mount like a third sun visor.  Also from Twisted Throttle.com, I found some LED license plate fasteners, since the factory LP light is right above the camera, it would effectively blind it at night.  The only bad part is the wires have to go through the LP frame and LP itself when installing, but how often will you be removing/reinstalling the LP & frame, though?

Here's the monitor clipped onto the mirror:

attachment.php

Here's the rear LP frame (hard to see, sorry for the bad pic):

Frankcarshow_2017-6.jpg

I'm tossing around the idea of getting an electric trunk lock popper and use the trunk lock for the camera - that's really the best place for the camera, IMHO.

I am installing a wireless backup camera in my 71 Mach1. I started on the most difficult part, mounting the display. It is mounted on a plug in the cigarette lighter hole in the console. It just clears the shifter when mounted and, with a single wire connection, can be easily removed and stored in the console.

Attachments

• backupCameraDisplay.jpg
    backupCameraDisplay.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 0
I mounted my display just above the rear view mirror and doesn't block it. I then ran the wire along the headliner to the left side of the car
and ran down the molding and under the dash. Works great and no wires showing.

Reviving an old thread, but something I've also considered doing. I bought, but never installed, one of those rearview mirrors with combination dash cam and rear view camera and set it up to run full time. However, where to place the R/V cam so it A) can't be seen and B) where it will be high enough not to be blinded at night by lights.
I thought about mounting the camera high inside the back window, but because of the almost flat glass, it would be tricky. Also this one is wired which adds to the problem.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
I mounted my display just above the rear view mirror and doesn't block it. I then ran the wire along the headliner to the left side of the car
and ran down the molding and under the dash. Works great and no wires showing.
Photo of your mounting available rhigg?

I have been using an Autovox T1400 now for 5 years (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=forumyield-20). Here is an updated link since the one above is old: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/mu...hread-1971-m-mach-1.19381/page-14#post-345437
I placed it above the license plate and works great for backing up. I replaced the OEM mirror with the provided mirror and when I place the car into reverse it activates a screen that is about half the size of the mirror. Otherwise, when driving it works like a good 'ol standard rear view mirror. My only complaint is that because it is wireless, sometimes you are driving down the highway and it gets the signal from a truck or an RV that may have the same setup. Usually this is a good distraction in long trips to try to figure out which truck or RV is the one :)

PS: I wired it directly to a switched source by cutting the wires to the car charger.

Photo of your mounting available rhigg?
The wiring is mounted along the headliner under the molding to the left side and then routed under the molding under the dash and over to the cigar lighter. The camera is mounted on top of the license plate. There is a hold that the license plate wire go through in the rear facia. I ran the camera wire through the hole with the license plate wiring and then connected it to the back up lamps in the trunk. The display does not block the rear view mirror.

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back