351c Boss Rev Limiter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I am looking for a Rev limiter for a 351c Boss engine.  This may be an unusual request but it does not have to work.

I am not looking for a faux version as I have seen advertised on ebay and other sites.

My intention is to repair an original non functioning unit.

Thanks for reading my post!

What date code are you going to put on it? I have a stamp for 7045, and can stamp yours, or put you in touch with a guy that will custom make a stamp with the date code you specify, if that helps.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Steve for the offer.

The 351c Boss engine I have was manufactured in early 1971. I pulled the engine from one car and installed it in a different car, years ago.

Somehow, in that exchange the rev limiter was forgotten to be transferred as well. Teenage ignorance. OOPS! At present, I am having the engine rebuilt and modified so that I can run on the fuel available today. Shortly, it will be transplanted into a 1972 Mach1 show car. I work in the electronics and engineering field. I am hopeful to find an original rev limiter that might be repairable. IF, I am successful at a repair then to have the correct Date Stamp/Plate designation and etc to the unit to me, is important as well.

Thanks, Earl

https://semomustang.com/t/rev-limiters-and-components

This is your best option if you don't mind repro.  I hear they are decent.

Ray
Thanks Ray for the link.

I too recently stumbled across semomustang.com.  I interpreted from reading their website info that these are non functional and just made to look like the original ford rev limiters.  I am going to give them a call tomorrow and then I will know absolutely for sure what they are selling.

Actually if someone were selling a new reproduction would be perfect!  If I ever find one I would definitely let everyone know about it!

Great Stable of ponies you have there,  by the way!

https://semomustang.com/t/rev-limiters-and-components

This is your best option if you don't mind repro.  I hear they are decent.

Ray
Thanks Ray for the link.

I too recently stumbled across semomustang.com.  I interpreted from reading their website info that these are non functional and just made to look like the original ford rev limiters.  I am going to give them a call tomorrow and then I will know absolutely for sure what they are selling.

Actually if someone were selling a new reproduction would be perfect!  If I ever find one I would definitely let everyone know about it!

Great Stable of ponies you have there,  by the way!
Thanks!  Working hard to get the horses in the 'stable' running well!  :)

As for the limiters, it might take someone with your knowledge to retrofit some circuitry to make these empty repros functional! 

Welcome from Oklahoma!!!!

Ray

I found an original, and intended to do the same thing you're talking about, but the more I think about it, I will probably have all the original equipment, but use a Pertronix 3, with the digital rev limiter. It would be more reliable and accurate, but transparent and easily removable. You might consider that with one of the repop rev limiter cases, at least until you find an original.

Steve

I found an original, and intended to do the same thing you're talking about, but the more I think about it, I will probably have all the original equipment, but use a Pertronix 3, with the digital rev limiter. It would be more reliable and accurate, but transparent and easily removable. You might consider that with one of the repop rev limiter cases, at least until you find an original.

Steve
Greetings both Steve and Ray,

I called Semomustang.com this morning and had an interesting conversation with the business owner. Sorry I forgot his name. This is what I found out from him.

He sells reproduction Rev Limiter case parts ONLY.  The year span of parts he carries and mostly deals with is 1965 thru 1970.  He does carry and sell Scott Drake reproduction parts for the 1971 ->73 Mustangs.  Harder to find 71-73 parts he doesn't carry at all, at least not currently.

Feeling Chipper this morning, I also researched the Pertronix 3 rev limiter.  Funny I had not come across this unit earlier. Thank you Ray for suggesting it. I already have  experience using a Pertronix kit that did away with my high maintenance points a couple of years ago.  Worked out fine.  So here I go,  I will order the Pertronix 3 and give it a try.  As to the Reproduction case and faux wiring harness, well, hmm, uh, I dunno,  I will give it some more thought and decide later!

Thanks guys!

Earl

AZ-Mach1 wrote:

"Feeling Chipper this morning, I also researched the Pertronix 3 rev limiter. Funny I had not come across this unit earlier. Thank you Ray for suggesting it."

Well I think Steve (RVTRASH) made that suggestion! So thanks Steve! :)

Ray

Yikes, I made a Foopa! Please forgive my not paying attention to an important detail.

No slight was intended.

Thank you Steve for your suggestion. I will try to do better in the future.

Earl

Hi

Well it sounds like "with your electronics" background ....you look forward to doing this (and thought you should do it this way) !!!

If it is going on a 72 Mach , I would "reconsider" the choice of the 71 Autolite part as it would possibly better to use the 1972 R code Motorcraft Rev limiter "at least for the look". You are going to get the red azz no matter which way you try to explain the use anyway. You will have to say "it's a Boss 351 motor so I have a 71 date coded rev limiter" (thus the Autolite) ......or it is a 1972 Mach "I know only R Codes got them so here is a rare Motorcraft.

Either way will be happy to help you .....if this is something you need "yesterday" ....I'm a bit busy with travel to the Boss Nationals. IF you rethink and change direction on the build, let us know that too. Building a show car, means different things to different people! Many change, to see they could fund the project by selling rarer parts and buying what they want! Personally, I come to AZ yearly to get "original parts" as my builds never stray from day one off the line.

Mark

P.S. The other thing I would do is go to the tech page for REV LIMITER on Scott site. musclecarresearch.com (under maintenence right now)

Shows how to use the modern Crane Pertronix IN THE FORD CASE ! (your plan anyway) I think Ray was mentioning this!

Yikes, I made a Foopa!  Please forgive my not paying attention to an important detail.

No slight was intended.

Thank you Steve for your suggestion.  I will try to do better in the future.

Earl
No harm, no foul. We're all just chipping in to help fellow owners with whatever info we can.

Steve

Hello Mark,

I did not see your post earlier, you will have to forgive me because I am trying to figure out this forum format,  sorry.  You brought to mind issues I have struggled with since I started my 1972 mach1 project over two years ago.

When I first purchased the car it was in exceptional condition. Absolutely no rust, had never been wrecked.  Past owner had tried to turn the car into a full blown bracket racer.  6 large round gauges mounted in the dash pad and steel dash cover.  Exhaust pipes welded to the body of the car that came out just below the middle of the door.  Battery installed in trunk. Holes drilled in the body pinch rails that had battery cables running to the front of the car through these holes.  Sparkly red Steering wheel.   I could go on and on but you can probably picture the innumerable mods!  Soo, I brought the car back to its original factory configuration.  Red Azz is a nice term with respect to responses I have received at car shows. LOL!  Concourse was my goal at least originally.  A pretty car that sits in a garage and occasionally goes to car shows and it does win prizes, just isn't fun anymore.  My wife's good advice/demand?  Sell it or drive it!  So, the Boss engine is getting installed.  Concourse is now out the window.  My second chance at being a teenager has begun.

Seriously now, my thought about the original Rev limiter being included with the matching Boss engine was an attempt at keeping it kinda Concourse?  With my background, yes I believe repairing an original rev limiter is possible.  Is it imperative or monetarily responsible, to do this, No.

Yes I will research the Pertronix unit.  At least right now seems to be an acceptable compromise.

Yes Mark, your post was quite thought provoking and appropriate. Thankyou

Earl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Earl

Just back from the Boss Nationals - sorry I didn't see on the road NOR did I think to buy stuff there (for other people) !! Dustin Harrinman had a number of used, resin and original harness units in Kansas. I was "assisting" as people don't know the difference between a 69/70 harness and OF COURSE "everyone" wants an original !!

These are one items that you don't want to buy in a field and "test on your car" ! LOL Not sure if Dustin was happy with me as the guy at the time was even more confussed after we took the cover off !!

ANyway, I did read your reply. THANK YOU for seeing "I" think things through (as I have made the same mistakes on direction/investment or choices). I learned a long time ago from Bob Perkins that "restoring" a car can mean multiple visions! When buying parts years ago he asked "are you restoring to how it came off the assembly line, to the miles it has on it or ALL NEW FORD PARTS? Funny, MOST think new Ford parts as they want everything new (so they have the BEST) Personally I have done my last three cas how they rolled off the line!

Mark

P.S. Here is the info link https://www.musclecarresearch.com/limiter-upgrade

Hello Mark and Steve,

I looked at the link you posted about putting the Pertronix rev limiter circuit into the original rev case. Thank you for that. Too bad I don't have access to the original circuit board!

Hope you had fun at the car Swap meet show.

Yes Steve, that was the unit I too had researched as well. Looks good actually.

Guess all I have to do is find a reasonably priced NON functional, well used original rev limiter! LOL.

Thanks guys!

Earl

Back